24/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 24: Leek and Not So Chicken Pie

This is a leftover pie but don't confuse that with thinking it got leftover because no-one wanted to eat it. No siree. This pie used all the leftovers in mah fridge.
I sauteed some onions and sliced mushrooms in a little oil then I added a minced clove of garlic, some chopped up Vegan Dad's Sausage and leftover carrots and potatoes which I just chopped up to bite size pieces. Took that off the heat while I made my sauce which is so easy peasy it's insane.
Melt some marg in a pan, about 2 Tablespoons. Add a GOOD 2 Tablespoons of regular flour and whisk like a MoFo'er. Whilst whisking I gradually poured in about half a pint of warm vegetable stock until I got a nice thick consistency. This might take more or less stock depending on how thick you like your sauce to be. Then I added a Not Chick'n stock cube and gave it all a really good stir.
I added this to the pan with the veggies n tings in then added a sliced up leek and some ground black pepper and salt and gave it all another good stir.
I made some wholewheat pastry thusly:

Wholemeal Pastry
Ingredients

12 ounces  wholemeal flour
6 ounces vegan margarine
10 Tablespoons water

Method
Place the flour into a bowl and add the margarine. Rub the margarine into the flour until it resemble fine breadcrumbs. Add the water and gather together to form a dough. If the dough is too sticky just add some more flour until it all comes together nicely.
Roll out half the dough and use it to line a pie plate.
Add your scrummy pie filling and top with the remaining rolled out dough.
Bake in the oven at 200º for 30-40 mins.
Easy as Pie!

13 comments:

x said...

You had me at leeks! That looks SO good, I love pie but I've never made one like this!

Kath said...

Hiya!
Thank you for your comment :D
I must say I'm very impressed with the range of products on goodnessdirect, and I love how easy it is to see what's vegan and what's not - brilliant for a newbie like myself who isn't always sure on ingredients that aren't obvious!
This pie here looks so pretty! My pies never look so nice!
x

vegan.in.brighton said...

Woah, that is some totally amazing looking pie. I love leeks & seitaney stuff in a pie - perfect!

Bianca said...

I'm still full from a big ole lunch, but I'd totally hit that pie.

Rose said...

That is a gorgeous pie!

Michelle said...

So pretty! Man, I haven't had a pot pie is such a long time. Must amend.

jessy said...

huzzah, Jeni! a leek and not-chicken pie made entirely of leftovers = the awesome! wow, wow, WOW! my leftovers usually get turned into a stir-fry or salad of sorts - you're one creative lady - and that's one deeeeeeeelicious pie!

wingraclaire said...

Now that looks seriously delicious. I think my husband would really go for that!!! And we make our own seitan too, so we're halfway there!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

awesome usage of leftovers - it looks delicious! And so pretty, my pies never turn out that well!

Unknown said...

Yummm. I make a pie like that, except that I lightly sautee the veg (minus leek, plus celery) before simmering them in the vege stock that I then use in the sauce... vegan-chicken-pie. As soon as I find some vegan-chicken stock cubes here, I'll make one so we can compare notes! :)

Lindsay I-F said...

Wow this looks really amazing- tasty and beautiful!

N said...

I've made some awesome meals out of what needs to be used up and this looks AMAZING!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

That looks very appetizing :)