13/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 13: Vegan Dad's Sausage

And when you've stopped laughing hysterically I shall let you know that I've had my eye on this recipe for quite a while. Having seen a few sausages floating around the MoFo'osphere (do you like what I did there) sausage was calling me and it was calling me now.
I only realised halfway through making this just how much Vital Wheat Gluten the recipe uses and just how FREAKING BIG this sausage is! It was so big it wouldn't fit in my steamer (fnar fnar) so I chopped it in two and problem solved.
For my steamer I use this nifty contraption. It is especially awesome because it can fit any pan from small to large. Cool huh!
So feast your eyes on Vegan Dad's Hickory Smoked Veggie Turkey Lunchmeat.

See you tomorrow for My round-up over at the MoFo Headquarters.

it's not Vegan Dad's, it's mine!

*edited to add
Personally I would add more seasoning to this - it was a bit too tame for the likes of my fiery taste buds. I would up the liquid smoke, add some fresh garlic and either up the soy sauce or add a touch of salt.

12 comments:

Miss C. Bean said...

this looks delish! and i love my collapsible steamer- such an asset.

vegan.in.brighton said...

What a big sausage you have! Seriously though I need to try that recipe.

jessy said...

bbbahahahahaha. at first i was confused (as per usual), but then i got it - laughed my ass off. thanks, Jeni! i can't have the wheats, but dan can - and i'm gonna make these for him! so awesome. yay!

Rose said...

Lol about the title...I get it, ha,ha.:D

Those steamer thingys are cool. And that sausage looks very tasty;I love Hickory smokey things.

Anonymous said...

Woahahaha - you dirty birdy!

I made that ages ago, like 2 years?, and I remember it being very, very bland. I also remember it needing a butt-load of gluten, too. I liked it for sammies, but remember thinking I wanted to re-work it to be less "meh" and more "woot!".

Round up rendez-vous tomorrow, then!

GiGi said...

Uhm is that a vegan sausage or are you just happy to see me bahaha.
One mother of a recipe.

Anonymous said...

Even if it didn't turn out exactly how you wanted it, I'm still impressed. I'm too nervous to try to make my own faux meats at home.

Can't wait for your roundup tomorrow!

Monica said...

MASSIVE log. Nice one. Add some fennel next time! Mmmm...

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I remember being shocked by how large the sausage was as well. Wow. There really is no way to say that in a way that doesn't sound dirty.

Felicity said...

I find that steaming really tames the spices in homemade sausages, so you really need to go overboard on them.

Luciana said...

I've wanted to make this for a while. Good to know it makes a lot!

Jenn said...

Is that a vegan sausage in your pocket, or, eh, nevermind...

Looks good. Thanks for the link to the original post. I'll have to try this with the added suggestions.