06/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 6: Balls!

Can I just say that Chocolate Cake for breakfast is soooooo right. Especially with a creamy cup of English tea. Yummmmmm. Cake and tea are one of those great combo's like Salt and Vinegar and Sausage and Mash and is another great British contribution to World Cuisine and also a great British tradition in general. Though admittedly it is served at the more respectable time of in the afternoon but I stare respectable in the face and say "NOOO!!!". Have it for breakfast GOD DAMMIT!
Am I allowed to be inspired by myself cos I blinking well have been. When I was eating my Spanish Stew for leftovers I couldn't help but notice the similarity between it and Campbell's Meatballs (which incidentally are not called Campbell's Meatballs anymore they are called Fray Bentos Meatballs as Premier Foods bought out Campbells in 2006 and got a bunch of brands in the deal, including OXO, Batchelors, Homepride and Fray Bentos. Which, if you were googling for a photo of Campbell's Meatballs you would have found out for yourself. Who knew.)
Anyway all tom foolery aside - I had somewhat of a vegan epiphany, or a lightbulb moment if you want, and knowing full well I could beat Campbell's (or Fray Bentos) at their own game, I set about recreating this pregan favourite of mine. I made up a batch of Pepperami Style Sausage but instead of making sausages I made balls - genius huh! Now I like big balls so this recipe yielded 11 (10 of which only actually made it to the grand finale) but if you like smaller balls then you will get more from your dough and in all honesty I would make them a bit smaller next time. Wrap each ball up in its own little separate bit of tin foil (put the used foil in the tin re-cycling when done) and place in the oven for 40 - 50 mins - turning over halfway through cooking time. *STOP BLOG* Why oh why oh WHY do I consistently continue to put things in a hot oven without wearing oven gloves? Why do I not own oven gloves?? It is a known fact that I can not do any form of cooking without burning myself. Usually they are harmless but this one today might be the wake up call I need to ask Santa to buy me some oven gloves. That must be three layers of skin burnt right off there.
And WHY do I not have plasters when I need one? Do I win points for improvising? Yes that is sellotape! Whilst waiting for your balls to cool, chop up half an Onion and slice a handful of Mushrooms. Heat some Olive Oil in a pan and cook the Onion and Mushrooms for 5-7 mins. Add a portion of Tomato Sauce and throw dem balls in dere. Cook on a low heat for 10 -15 mins stirring every once in a while. Take off the heat and entertain yourself for an hour or two. When you're ready to eat - warm up the Sauce, cook your Spaghetti and let Pasta and Sauce meet in a perfect partnership of taste fusion. Sprinkle on some Parmesan and revel in the knowledge that you are a genius - all be it a genius with burn wounds. (hands up who didn't snarf at least once whilst reading that)

6 comments:

disabled account said...

hah!! you said balls like 8 times in this post...so glad i decided to check your blog before going to bed today. i think i snorted a couple of times even.

campbells is still intact in the usa and you can't buy a can of balls here...only in spaghetti-os.

way to encourage the recycling! woohoo!!

night-night...

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I agree cake for breakfast is awesome. I had crumble for breakfast this morning!!

I checked into the lemon puffs! They didn't have any own brand ones in waitrose but they did have Jacobs and those are vegan! YAY.

Anonymous said...

Cake for breakfast rules!
I too was a fan of campell's meat balls in my pregan days.
I'd give this a try but the idea of 10 individually wrapped balls of seitan makes me think of land mines in my oven!

Jen Treehugger said...

Becks - you made me spill tea over the monitor! But I have a plan for you. Try baking them in a muffin tray and put one ball per space, then loosely cover the whole tray in foil tucking it around all the edges.
I'm gonna try it like that next time and I'll report back to you - SIR!
*salutes*

Sal - YAY!
It was Jacob's I meant but I remember seeing them in Iceland/Waitrose so ACE!

ginger - I saw the Campbell's with Spaghetti O's on my Googling mission - I'd never seen them before!

Jackdaw Jayne Studios said...

Half of me is thinking cake... for breakfast? is the woman mad but the other half is thinking OH yes... that would bring deep, deep joy to the Brett household :D

... and yes, I snarfed... I snarfed alot!!

Bethany said...

i always burn myself. not just my hands, but my arms too. I never learn.