07/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 7: I can haz cheeeez

Your mission should you choose to accept:
Make a Vegan Cheez that is better than any you've ever tried. OK that's easy - I've only tried one and that was a Chedda Cheez variation of the Colby Cheez recipe from the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook that I saw here. BUT should you accept this mission the Cheez MUST: a. Taste like cheese b. Melt like cheese OK I think I've got the first one covered. Whilst Mr. Treehugger was chowing down on some of my Besto Pesto he turned to me and said "Damn that really tastes cheesy - you sure it's Vegan?" And you know what - he was right. It does taste cheesy, very cheesy. So my Vegan Cheez simply must include a whole load of Besto Pesto. Check! Now the second requirement's a bit more tricky. I'm sure Vegan Cheez professionals have tested and tested ways to make a melty vegan Cheez, and from reviews and chatting to PPK'ers it seems that the perfect melting Cheez is somewhat harder to achieve. Well I do love a good challenge so I donned my apron, grabbed my spatula and set about the kitchen on a Cheez making extravaganza. The Result:
TaDa!
The melting test
The Verdict Whilst it looked like a Mozzarella type Cheese it had a Cheddary type taste and it did melt - it melted beautifully and tasted good on toast. But there is room for improvement so I will stick with it before I divulge the recipe.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ooh Cheez! (Homer Simpson style)
Clever Treehugger!

Kelly said...

Ooh. I am totally intrigued. I'll have to stick around to see when you finally post the recipe. I have yet to make cheeze, but there is always a first for everything. Sounds adventurous.

east.west said...

i'm so impressed! and i can't wait to see how you did it...it looks delicious!

east.west said...

wow, it looks amazing! i can't wait to see how you did it!

Black Amy said...

wow, that looks amazing! my attempts have never had such good results!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks great!

VeganView said...

Oooh I just love your blog! Thanks for the Q word! I am glad someone else does this silly game I love. Be in touch! :)

Monika K said...

What a great blog! Let me know when your recipe is ready - I'd love to try it (I've never made vegan cheez before and have it on my vegan mofo list of things to do). (:

...barbara... said...

i want to try this cheese....
i too have only made the colby kind from uuc....
but i want to try more....
next i was think a fondue one...
yet my supply of nooch is limited...*tear*

disabled account said...

OMG! i cannot wait for this recipe....you tease! ;)

Bethany said...

I can hardly wait!