30/09/2008

Spanish Stew

I veganised this recipe a few years ago before I was vegan and it has been a firm favourite in my household ever since. I made a HUGE pot of this tonight so I will have leftovers for my lunch for the next few days as well but THAT'S GREAT - it is impossible to get fed up with this rich tomato-ey protein packed stew.
Serve with warm crusty bread and a glass of Rioja and try not to notice it's raining outside your window in Grimsby!
Spanish Stew serves 8 Ingredients Olive Oil for frying ( I have some homemade Chili oil that I use ) 3 jars/tins of drained Beans ( I used Butterbeans, Pinto and Red Kidney ) Half a large Onion, diced 3 cloves Garlic, chopped 2 tins Red Peppers 10 pitted Black Olives, chopped in half 2 tins Tomatoes 1 teaspoon Tomato Puree Half a teaspoon salt Dash of Soy sauce 10 Slices of Pepperami Style Sausage Black Pepper Fresh Basil 1 Bay Leaf All the weights and measurements are guessed so don’t be afraid to add more or less as you see fit. And of course, if you have the time, you can soak and pre-cook the Beans instead and use fresh Red Pepper that you peel yourself using the flame trick. Method In a large saucepan add the Olive Oil and fry the Onion and Peppers for 5-8 mins stirring regularly. Add the Garlic and Olives and continue cooking for a few more mins. Then add all of the Beans. Cook for a further 10 mins stirring now and again to make sure the Beans don’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Add both tins of Tomatoes, the Tomato Puree, Salt, Soy Sauce and Bay Leaf and place a lid over the saucepan. Simmer on a low heat for an hour to an hour and a half, stirring every 10 mins or so. 10 mins before cooking time is finished add some sliced Pepperami Style Sausage and chopped fresh Basil. YUM!

1 comment:

half pint pixie said...

Oh that looks great! I love stew especially now that winter is on its way :) I must start amassing stew recipes!