21/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 21 - Apricot Fruit Cake


This cake is wonderfully moist and flavourful. Goes perfectly with a cuppa tea.
Apricot Fruit Cake
Ingredients
75g dried apricots, roughly chopped
75g dried prunes, roughly chopped
75g sultanas
225 ml apple juice
200g plain wholemeal flour
25g soya flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon mixed spice
75g soft brown sugar
100ml sunflower oil
Juice of half a lemon
2 Tablespoons of jam (apricot, gooseberry...whatever)

Method
Soak the apricots, prunes and sultanas overnight in a bowl with the apple juice.
Pre heat oven to 170 degrees (325 fahrenheit). 
Sift together the flours, bicarb and mixed spiced.
Stir the sugar into the soaked fruit then add the oil, lemon juice and jam. Add this to the flour mixture and mix together really well.
Pour into a greased 8 inch cake tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 55-60 mins. 
Test to see if the cake is cooked by inserting a tooth pick into the middle of the cake. If the tooth pick comes out clean the cake is ready.
GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

16 comments:

GiGi said...

Oooh. I think fruit cake is one of those desserts you either love or hate. Lucky for me I'm a lover, not a fighter. Delish! My dad loves it too. Must make and send to him. Thank you for posting.

Jen Treehugger said...

Awww, I wanna send him a slice now too.Your dad is awesome.
xx

jessy said...

that's one good look'n fruit cake, Jeni! i've never had fruit cake before, but it sure does sound delicious! i'm up for anything with apricots - they're crazy good!

Cara said...

Who is eating all of these wonderful desserts you keep making? Whomever they are, I'm jealous I'm not one of them!!!

Jen Treehugger said...

*BURRRP*
Not me.....la dee da dee da....

Unknown said...

That looks really good! Apricots are very good for you, right?

Unknown said...

Looks really good, & apricots are very healthy, right?

Jen Treehugger said...

YES! Totally. Really really good for you.
<:-)

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks lovely & moist & I love dried fruit in cake.

Anonymous said...

I nominated you for Liebster Award. http://veggiev.wordpress.com/2011/10/21/vegan-mofo-day-21-liebster-awards/

x said...

I would love a slice of that for afternoon tea :)

Richa said...

must.. make... some.. of .. this.. moist .. yummy.. cake.. Asap!!!
u r on a roll.. mofo keeps getting better and better!

Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

ZuckerBaby said...

Gorgeous! Fruit cake is the best.

Just to let you know, I've nominated you for the Liebster Award. Details in my next post!

Jen Treehugger said...

Thank you veggiev and Zucker - that's really sweet of you.

Richa - if you love moist delicious fruitcake then ya gotta make this, it's delish.

Mandee - how about I have a slice for you? <:-)

said...

Oh my gracious, this is gorgeous! It looks so tender and darling!

Johanna GGG said...

This looks perfect - gorgeous cake and full of my favourite dried fruit - bookmarked!