19/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 19 - Golden Crumb Treacle Tart



Golden Crumb Treacle Tart
Ingredients
For the shortcrust pastry:

200g plain flour
100g vegan margarine
2 teaspoons sugar
pinch of salt
a little iced water (about 2 Tablespoons)
For the filling:
2 cups coarse  breadcrumbs
Juice and rind from one orange
8 Tablespoons golden syrup

Make the pastry by mixing the flour, sugar and salt together and rubbing in the margarine until the mix ressembles breadcrumbs, add a little cold water until the dough is smooth but not sticky then place it the fridge for 30 minutes.
Preheat the oven at 200°C.
Make the tart filling by mixing the breadcrumbs in a bowl with the orange zest and juice and the golden syrup. Mix to incorporate all the ingredients.
Once the pastry has been in the fridge for 30 minutes, take it out and roll it out onto a floured surface and line a greased 25cm tart tin.
Pour the golden syrup mix into the tart tin and place in the oven at 200°C for 20 minutes and then 180°C for 10 minutes.
Scrummy with custard.
 
GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!


20 comments:

JL goes Vegan said...

That tart is GORGEOUS!!!

Farrah P said...

Aww reminds me of Harry Potter. That is a beautiful tart. Perfect for Thanksgiving!

Tea and Sympatico said...

ooh lovely! My mum used to make treacle tart a lot.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Wow, that looks seriously amazing!

Kristen said...

Oh my gosh that looks GOOOOD! And such simple ingredients, with such a beautiful result!

x said...

Your crust looks perfect, save me a slice!

Catalina said...

I've never had treacle tart but it looks delicious.

Johanna GGG said...

that filling sounds so simple when I look at the ingredients but looks so yummy (are those baby tarts in the background?)

Jen Treehugger said...

Ha ha yes, they're jam tarts which is what I do to use up left over pastry. Well spotted!

Cara said...

Seriously, I am always so impressed by all your recipes. You are so creative in the kitchen--teach me thy ways :)

jessy said...

i don't know how you keep producing one glorious MoFo dish after another, but you're the best, Jeni! i have bookmarked so many of your recipes including this one. huzzha!

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments guys.
Foodie - sorry but there's too much meat on that site, just a personal issue of mine, I wish you lots of luck with your venture.
:-)

The Lurker said...

Ha, I was waltzing through the big list, not really watching where I was going and there was this treacle tart. Looks great I thought, and then it was you!

Susan said...

I want this.

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I don't even know what treacle is, but I want it!

Virginia said...

This looks incredible tasty! I think I should try this out :D~

Vanessa said...

This looks all sorts of amazing!!!!! And I loooove that it is only 8 ingredients. Kudos m'dear! Kudos.

Jenny said...

I'd love to make this one!

Luciana said...

This sounds lovely. I've seen golden syrup in the "international" section of the supermarket, and I've seen lots of recipes using it. It might be time to buy a bottle and make this!

Jenny said...

That treacle tart looks delish! I love a nice crumbly topping...good work!