18/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 18 - Curried Apricot Rice Salad


This is a simple but very tasty dish, great as a side, as a snack or for parties and picnics.

Curried Apricot Rice Salad
Ingredients
1 Cup Brown Rice cooked in 3 cups water for 20 minutes, drained and left to cool
+/- 1 teaspoon Cumin
+/- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder
+/- 1 teaspoon Salt
half teaspoon Black Pepper
Sprinkling of Turmeric
Sprinkling of Garam Masala
Sprinkling of Garlic Powder
4 Dried Apricotes, diced
Handful Sultanas (or raisins)
Handful Roasted Cashews

Method

Fork the Rice (giggles) regularly whilst it's cooling to prevent it from sticking. When it's cooled completely add all the ingredients mixing really well after each addition and Bob's yer uncle!
How easy is that!
Don't be shy to add more of the Spices and taste it regularly to check how it's coming along and just season it to your taste really. This is so versatile and the possibilities are endless so don't be scared - experiment with it. This will keep in the fridge a few days and is even better the next day too.



GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

13 comments:

Jes said...

I never think to put apricots in savory dishes--that rice salad look delish!

jessy said...

totally adding dried apricots to my grocery list - we have the unsulfered ones in bulk at my natural food store. w00t! your dish looks awesome, Jeni - i'm excited to make it!

Luciana said...

This sounds delicious! I always forget how much I love rice salads until I see a recipe for one.

Anonymous said...

This looks yummy -- and super easy (so definitely a winner in my book).

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love apricots in salad, the one from Veganomicon with the pistachios and the israeli cous cous is my favourite.

x said...

Like Jes, I'd never think to use apricots in a savoury salad but I really want to try this, the cashews look great and I love anything with cumin.

Cara said...

looks absolutely amazing!
I just love the idea of combining cashews and apricots

Best wishes from Germany

Farrah P said...

Hehe Fork the Rice...

Love the ingredients in this. Great winter recipe!

Cara said...

You are too cute! I love the insert of giggles after writing "Fork the rice" :)

Dawn said...

<3 dried fruit in savory dishes. This looks fabulous!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That salad looks most excellent!

wingraclaire said...

that looks delicious! can't wait to try it!

Susan Kelley said...

This sounds fantastic! I love the use of apricots.