17/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 17: Vegan Pea Fritters

Pea Fritters are a traditional British food served up in Fish and Chip shops. I'm not sure if they are a southern thing but I suspect they are because whenever I have asked for these north of London I have just received strange looks.
In most Fish and Chip shops these aren't even vegetarian because they will be fried in the oil that has also had meat things fried in, but not all, ya just gotta ask the proprietor.
The main ingredient is mushy peas but not the tinned kind oh no siree the good old dried Marrowfat pea kind. They have to cooked and cooled then you just roll them into a ball, dip in batter and then fry 'em. This is the batter recipe I use which is also very good for making onion rings too.

Ingredients:
1 cup flour
1 cup vegan breadcrumbs
1/3 cup white wine or apple juice
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
Black Pepper
Enough oil to deep fry with.

Heat oil in saucepan. You can also use a deep fryer if you have one.
Mix flour, wine or juice, and vinegar. Add enough water till you get a sticky, gooey batter. Add as much pepper as you desire.


Easy Peasy!

20 comments:

Kristina @ spabettie said...

I'm afraid I don't know what marrowfat peas are, but you can bet I'm going to be googlin' because I want to make these!! I've also never fried anything before, do you think they'd hold up if baked?

:) they look fabulously tasty!

Zoa said...

These look really good. I'd never heard of marrowfat peas, or even mushy peas except as an accident. This is kind of like a non-spicy Indian dish, strangely compelling...

Andrea said...

If I ever deep fried anything, I'm sure I'd try these. Though, I'm not sure where I'd find marrowfat peas.

BunzOfCinnamon said...

And this is why I love Vegan MoFo...I get to read about things like Pea Fritters, something I've never heard of before!

Rose said...

I love marrowfat peas; I used to eat them often when I lived in Ireland. These sound yummy.

Felicity said...

I love mushy peas, but have never seen mushy pea fritters. Yumm!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Never even heard of pea fritters but they look lovely!!

aimee said...

Jeni,
These look awesome...and I have all the ingredients!
xo
Aimee

x said...

I love the inside shot, so green! I've never heard of pea fritters but they sound like something I need to try :)

Anonymous said...

Mmmm! I have a feeling I'd find it hard to stop eating those once I got started!!

Anonymous said...

I do not know too much abt the fish and chips culture but I knew it was served with peas sometimes but these are so cute..I googled it to read up more on it. I wanna do this with my peas but I do not think I can find these dried will look around:(

jessy said...

i need to find my deep fryer and make your pea fritters, Jeni! they're the cutest, the prettiest color, and they sound amazing! yummah! sign me up!

miss v said...

whoa! i'm in freaking love. i looked at the pics before i read the title and was like, 'what the..?'

i love me some peas. i definitely am putting these on my december to-make list!

miss v said...

whoa! i'm in freaking love. i looked at the pics before i read the title and was like, 'what the..?'

i love me some peas. i definitely am putting these on my december to-make list!

Anonymous said...

I love mushy peas so much, but I've never had them this way! Adding fried + bredding to mushy peas = happyfish!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I've never heard of pea fritters but seeing how much I lurve me some peas I must try these!

panda with cookie said...

I always say you can't go wrong with fritters.

Amey said...

i've never heard of or seen anything like this... i love how bright green they are. and I love how freaky delicious they look. omg!!!!

Anonymous said...

Mmm I'd forgotten about pea fritters! I've never tried them even though you can get them round here (sheffield, not south). Must try this soon!

Susan Kelley said...

Wow, these look good! Such an unusual idea, I can't imagine how they taste.