24/05/2010

Lime and Coriander Baked Tofu

I love the kind of recipes that you just throw together on instinct and they turn out to be super amazingly awesome. This recipe is one of those.
My coriander (cilantro) has gone crazy in my garden this year but it was just starting to bolt so I wanted to cut it right back and so resulted with LOADS to use up.
I had some fresh lime in the fridge that needed using up as well and thus this recipe was created.

Lime and Coriander Baked Tofu
serves 4

Ingredients
8 slices firm Tofu about a cm thick each
1/2 cup of olive oil
2 cloves garlic, diced
Juice from 1 lime
handful coriander leaves
salt and pepper to taste

Method
Place the oil, garlic, lime juice, coriander, salt and pepper in a blender and whizz up.
Place the tofu slices in an oven proof dish and pour over the marinade, turning the tofu over to incorporate all the flavours. Leave to marinade for half an hour.
Bake for 20 mins in a medium hot oven, turn over then bake for another 20 mins.
I served mine on a bed of fresh rocket, scallions and juicy ripe tomatoes.
DELISH!




GO VEGAN!

14 comments:

Matt (Our Veggie Kitchen) said...

I love lime and coriander together. I bet that was tasty.

Bianca said...

That tofu sounds delicious. I never know what to do with extra cilantro. BTW, the dead doggie picture always makes me so sad....I look at your gorgeous food photos and think "yum" and then I look over at the poor puppy and I get all sad...

Amanda said...

That looks great! I love me some cilantro anytime, anywhere!

The Voracious Vegan said...

Oooh I'm making this tonight! I love a good baked tofu and the flavor combo of lime and coriander sounds just perfect. THANK YOU!

Jen Treehugger said...

This is my new favourite flavour combo at the moment. I made some more marinade and used it as a salad dressing and it is delicious!

Bianca - I know, it makes me sad too :(

Please let me know what you think VV, it's nice to hear verdicts. :)

Penny said...

Mmmm... This looks good! I don't actually like coriander and it STILL looks good! Maybe you'll convert me!

Chelsea said...

I LOVE coriander - that just looks scrumptious! :)

jessy said...

this looks awesome, Jeni! i love recipes just like this.... amazing & easy - hell yeah! i can't wait to give this a whirl, and i'm gonna serve it up on a salad like you did - i looks too delicious not to! thanks! :D

kmouse said...

You were awarded a Sunshine Blog Award at my blog! Thanks for the inspiration!

Kim
http://theveganmouse.blogspot.com

two vegan boys said...

Yum! This looks delicious.

P.S. If I remember or you remind me :), I will send you some beefsteak seeds to plant for Spring/Summer of 2011.

Jen Treehugger said...

Penny! - Mr treehugger doesn't like coriander either - he detests it, but even he loved this recipe.It's funny but the coriander complements the overall taste and isn't noticeable at all.

kmouse - Thank you SO much. xx

Krys! - you're awesome. Thank you. xx

River - The Crafty Kook said...

It must be time for me to try cilantro again, maybe my tastebuds have changed their opinion about it and they will approve now. This dish looks too scrummy not to give cilantro another chance! :)

Bethany said...

looks great, I'm a huge fan of tofu dishes. ps. herb gardens rock!

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

Looks good.