03/10/2009

Vegan MoFo Day#3: Daal-ing

Mr treehugger is a superb cook. He has a fair few recipes that he has down to a fine art and one of those is his famous Daal. Try as I might I can never wrangle the Daal recipe out of him, I have been trying for as long as we've been together, he reckons that he doesn't know what he's going to put in it until he starts making it and then it all comes together like some kind of Daal JuJu, which I can totally relate to so I leave him his little culinary secrets. Until now! I told him that I was going to watch him from start to finish and write down everything he did and by gods that is exactly what I did. And what shall I do with this new found knowledge and highly guarded and mystical secret? I shall share it with you of course! HURRAH!
Yummy Daal serves 2 as a main course Ingredients 250 grams Red Lentils 800 ml Water (add more if needed at any time) 1 teaspoon Salt (or more to taste at the end) 8 Tablespoons of Olive Oil (that is not a typo!) 250 grams Mushrooms, finely finely chopped 1 Large Onion, chopped finely 1 red Chilli (we left all the Seeds in but you can omit these if heat isn't your thang) 3 Cloves of Garlic, diced 1 inch of fresh Ginger, peeled and diced 1/4 Cup of water 1 heaped teaspoon Turmeric 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala 1 Tablespoon Tamarind Sauce 1 Tablespoon Tahini 1 teaspoon Peanut Butter Method Rinse the Lentils under a warm tap for a few minutes. Place in a medium sized saucepan with the 800ml of water. Bring to a boil and simmer - add 1 teaspoon of salt. Meanwhile heat 6 Tablespoons of the Olive Oil in a large heavy bottomed pot and add the Mushrooms and Onions. Cook on medium heat for 45 minutes without the lid on and stir every 5-10mins until they are very very Caramalised. It is much better if you can get them to the point where they are almost a burnt mush, but does need constant attention. You might want to add the other 2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil if you think the mixture is sticking to the pan too much - a bit of stickage is good and what you're after, but if you're not sure then add the rest of the Olive Oil. Your Lentils will be ready by now. Scoop two thirds of the Mushroom mixture into the Lentils and turn the heat down on both pans. Into the remaining Mushroom mixture add the Red Chili, Garlic and Ginger and cook for 10 mins stirring regularly (to soften up the Ginger etc). Then add the Turmeric and Garam Masala. Cook for another 4-5 minutes to make a kind of paste. Add the 1/4 cup of water to the remaining Mushroom and Onions to get all the lovely burnty Caramelised flavours off the bottom. Now add everything to the Lentil pan along with the Tamarind Sauce, Tahini and Peanut Butter. Let cook on a very low heat with the lid on for 20 mins stirring quite a lot. Take off heat and let sit for 3/4/5/6/24 hours. Heat up just before serving. It is much better to let it stand for 2 hours and re-heat as many times as you can as this breaks everything down and merges all the flavours but isn't essential.
GO VEGAN! GO MoFo!!

36 comments:

kimmykokonut said...

i love dal too. somehow i don't make it often enough and i don't know why because i could eat it all the time. maybe it's because it takes 30 minutes to cook and i end up making something that takes an hour instead because the idea of lentils takes too long...you have inspired me for dinner next week!

kmouse said...

Mmm, I love daal!

Susan said...

YUM! Hee, you have finally cracked his secrets. ;)

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love a good Dhal! What a tasty looking dish. Oooh ohhh ohh!

Anonymous said...

Mmm, looks really yummy! :)

Felicity said...

This looks wonderful! I love a good daal. In fact I am addicted to our local takeaway's tarka daal.

DJ said...

phwoarrrr.... that looks lush!! Daal is one of my favourite things to eat and this sounds like a great recipe!

lindsay said...

yum dahl! i liked howe you photographed the steps!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Snoop! You're a snoop! :-P

I like the step by step pictures, and the final product looks soo colorful and yummy!

emma said...

that's looks amazing! i can't get any ethnic food like that around here so I suppose I should make some! :)

Lovlie said...

That daal soup looks awesome! A touch of peanut butter sounds great! Damn my allergy!

Mihl said...

Ha, my bf is the same! He always refuses to use recipes. I should to the same and make photographs of the meals he cooks.

Jenn said...

Yum! I really should cook some lentils. Thanks for the behind the scenes photos!

Jen Treehugger said...

I'm glad you all liked the step by step photos - I realise making something like this can be quite daunting so I wanted to photograph as many of the steps as I could - kind of a hold your hand through the process kinda thing. I would include more step by step photos in my blog only it's usually me that's doing the cooking and I'd only drop the camera in batter or smudge Peanut Butter over the lens or something as equally silly.
ha ha River - I am a snoop!

Brandie said...

I've never heard of this - so it's a like a soup?! It sure sounds terrific! Good job Mr. treehugger!

P.s. you can also find more of the 'miracle' noodles at konjacfoods.com, they're made of konjac flour (from yams) and also have like no carbs calories etc. :) And they sell agar agar too! I hope you get to try them!!!

Anonymous said...

Yum! Daal is something I really love but also never make. I might have to really soon, now though, because yours looks delicious!

jessy said...

you are too awesome, jeni! thank you so much for sharing mr. treehugger's daal with us! it looks amazing and it sounds absolutely awesome! dan & i haven't had daal in foooooooorever, i think we'll be making yours super soon. thanks again, my friend!

Chelsea said...

That looks amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the trade secret!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

oh yum thank you for sharing the recipe! i wanted dahl last night when my friend and I went for a curry but we picked this heinous lentil vegetable thing which was so freakin hot we named it lucifer!!

i'm making this soon!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Awesome!! YAY!! I am definitely going to try this.

Zoey said...

I LOVE daal, but it never comes out quite right when I make it. Thank you for sharing his secrets, it looks delicious!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

I love daal! Thanks so much to you and Mr. Treehugger for the recipe!

Rose said...

Yum! I can imagine making a big batch of this and eating it happily for days.

Jen Treehugger said...

Haha Rose - that is exactly what we do! I say "we" in the loosest sense of the term. Normally mr treehugger makes twice this amount.

Kellybot said...

Oh, my, that looks heavenly!

Andrea said...

that looks pretty good !

Kelly said...

Woo! Thanks for sharing the supersecretmystical recipe of awesomeness! :D

Michelle said...

Mmm, yum! I wish my boy made me Daal!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That daal looks perfect.

Veg-In-Training said...

I love the step by step pictorial. Once MOFO is over, I must try this!

aTxVegn said...

This looks excellent! I can't wait to try it.

Anonymous said...

Looks wonderful!

crystal said...

Yum! I'll have to try this!

Amy said...

YU-UM! LOVE dahl!!! I need to try your version. Peanut butter? Tamarind?!?! Mmmmm!!!

For the Love of Guava said...

Go Mr.Treehugger!!! That Dahl looks amazing Dahl-ing... **slaps knee**

For the Love of Guava said...

or you know... same joke with daal spelled the right way...