04/10/2009

Vegan MoFo 2009 Day #4: Full moon=full tummy

In honour of the full moon I made a full moon pie (as you do). Although admittedly the pie is adorned with half moons - full moons would have been just round circles, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that and in fact Kittee would have positively loved it, I had half moon cookie cutters that I really really wanted to use. Ingredients serves 8 For the Pastry: 8oz flour pinch of salt 4oz margarine 5 Tblsps water For the filling: 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks handful of green beans, trimmed and chopped into bite sized pieces 1 leek, sliced and washed 4 Tablespoons olive oil 3 large mushrooms, thinly diced 1 small onion, diced 1 cup of good red wine 1 clove of garlic 4 Tablespoons Bisto gravy granules (Bisto is a powdered gravy granule that thickens when you add water so you get a nice thick gravy. Not sure of versions available across the pond) 1 Tablespoon Marmite half teaspoon dried sage Salt and pepper to taste half a cup of frozen peas cup of cauliflower (I had some frozen in the freezer that needed to be used up) Method For the filling Put the carrots, green beans and potatoes into a pan of slightly salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 10 mins. After 10 mins add the sliced leeks and cook for another 5 minutes. While that's doing heat the olive oil in a pan and add the mushrooms and onion. cook for 10 minutes on a medium heat stirring every now and then. Add the garlic and cook for another 2-3 mins. Add the red wine and cook for 10 mins until the wine has reduced. By now you will have taken the potatoes, carrots, beans and leeks off the heat so take a litre of the cooking water from them and add this to your mushroom and wine pan. Boil rapidly for 10 mins. With a stick blender blend everything up for 30 seconds - lumps are GOOD so don't go blitzing barmy. Add to this the Bisto gravy granules and whisk. Add the Marmite, sage, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes. Then add the potatoes, carrots, leeks, beans, peas, cauliflower and any other veg you want/have really. Simmer for about 10 mins. If you need to add more Bisto to thicken it more then go ahead - nowt wrong with a thick gravy in't pie. Leave to cool slightly. For the Pastry Make the pastry by sifting the flour and salt into a big bowl, add the margarine and rub into the flour with your hands until it resembles bread crumbs. Add the water and gather it all up with your hands. Knead for a few seconds until it is smooth and elasticy. Grease an 8 inch pie dish. Flour a work surface and roll the pastry out evenly. Use the rolling pin to carry the pastry over to the pie dish. With your fingers; gently push the pastry into the pie dish. Take the pie dish in one hand and with the other hand use a knife to chop off the excess pastry, set this to one side 'cos you need this for the pie top. Place the slightly cooled pie filling into the pastry case. Wet the top edges of the pastry with some water. Roll out the remaining pastry and cover the pie pressing down firmly with your thumb along the top edge. Chop of the excess pastry and use it to cut out shapes to decorate the pie with, you will have to brush water onto the bottom of the shapes to stick them to the pie. With a knife, make two slits in the centre of the pie top - this is to allow steam to escape, and brush the whole pie with some unflavoured soya milk. Cook in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for about 20-30 mins. Because all ovens vary in their cooking performance - check on the pie quite regularly to make sure it's OK.
YUMMERS!
GO VEGAN! GO MoFo!!

39 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

That's one good looking pie, I haven't had pie for ages & now I really want some!

Mihl said...

What a cute idea!

x said...

Yummy looking full moon pie! Maybe next full moon I will make something too :)

Susan said...

That looks beautiful.

Monica said...

Nice! I looove savory pies!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Yummers for sure!! Love veggie pie!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

yummers indeed! i really want pie for dinner now.

This post makes me think of that jaffa cake advert.

Full moon. Half moon. Total eclipse!! :)

Steffi said...

some sexy pie that is! my full moon baking plans were interrupted by... cider...

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

what a pie!!!

Jenn said...

Wow, that looks great. Yummy and pretty!

jessy said...

oh my goodness, Jeni - your full moon pie looks absolutely awesome! i love the half moon shapes and i love that you've got leeks, mushies, potatoes, carrots, and MARMITE in there. mmmmmmmmmmm! i'm gonna have to get over my fear of making a gluten-free pie crust so i can make a gluten-free version of your full moon pie to enjoy. it looks so comforting and gloriously good!

The Voracious Vegan said...

I love celebrating the lunar stages and this is such a beautiful way to do that! It looks VERY tasty!

kmouse said...

That is my kind of pie! Yum!

sgcorrie said...

I might have to make this AND your dahl....

Aubade said...

That looks so good. I hung out in my garden enjoying the full moon with a campfire in the chiminea last night...now if only I had the pie!!

Tami said...

Wow....nice job on that!

Bonnie said...

Yummy! I like your idea of celebrating the full moon with delicious-looking pie. And I like your half moon cookie cutters!

Anonymous said...

That looks so tasty, and I've developed a sudden love of savory pies so I'll be trying this really soon!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

The half moons make it so pretty! The filling looks super fantabulously yummy. You're rockin' MoFo, Jeni!

chow vegan said...

I guess I'm the only one that has never heard of a whole moon pie before. At first, I thought it was a sweet pie then I read the recipe and it's savory! Looks delicious! I'm learning all sorts of new stuff. Thanks!
:-)

Amanda said...

Love it! And wish I could eat it!

laura said...

hooray for it finally being that savory pie time of year. mmmmm....

disabled account said...

we dont' have bisto or marmite over here, but i can make gravy...what's marmite? this looks wonderful and my mother moon would love it! xoxo

Michelle said...

YUMMMM.

Oraphan said...

What a yummy looking pie!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Keep cooking, Jeni. I'll keep looking!!!:)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I love those pie guts! It looks great.

Kris said...

Wow, that pie looks awesome! I'm very jealous and hungry now.

Zoey said...

Your pie is beautiful! I am impressed by how perfect that slice looks!

Veg-In-Training said...

Perfection! It's beautiful.

Lovlie said...

Leeks, green beans, yum yum! What awesome pie!

Rose said...

Your full moon pie sounds and looks delicious!

Rose

veganf said...

Oooh, beautiful! I must try this! I don't care for fruit pies, but savory, mmmmmm!

For the Love of Guava said...

ooh... time for Fall Cooking!!!

Hehe... "Full Moon" makes me think of vegan butts... hheee..

DJ said...

Coming from the North I have a weakness for pies anyway and this one looks particularly yum! Love the crescents on the piecrust too!

KiKi said...

Me want Moon Pie, me need Bisto!!!

Woman, you have definitely started something here :D

kelly g. said...

oh now that is simply adorable! half moon cookie cutters, WANT!

Seitan Said Dance said...

The half moons are adorable! And the filling sounds delicious. I am definitely bookmarking this. I hope I can find Bisto here.

aTxVegn said...

Beautiful pie! I'm enjoying your MoFo posts.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god this looks so good. This is the kind of thing I wish somebody would make for me, instead of the other way around.