13/10/2009

Vegan MoFo Day#13: Bubble and Squeak how to

Back by popular demand - lol.
Bubble and Squeak is such an easy peasy recipe I bet you'll all be doing it more often.
You take all your leftover cooked veggies smash 'em up (a blender is great for this) then add the smashed up veggies to a load of cooked potatoes and mash 'em all together. Add some diced onion, salt and pepper and shape into patties. You will need more potato than veggies as it's the potatoes that hold everything together. You can add spices - a little of what you fancy never hurt. Try some smoked paprika or Old Bay seasoning.
Me?
I prefer my bubbles with just good old salt and pepper.
Add about a Tablespoon of olive oil into a non stick frying pan, heat up and add the patties. Fry on each side for 10-15 mins. You want them to go quite black.
You will probably need to use a spatula to keep the patties nice and round. Just gently pat them round the edges.

smash 'em up

shape them

Serve and enjoy!

GO VEGAN! GO MoFo!

18 comments:

Carlota said...

This recipe is really cool! I'll try it when I have some leftover roasted veggies.

DJ said...

Deliciously simple!

Kristin said...

Thanks! This looks so good!

Amanda said...

Yum! I think now I finally get what Bubbles and Squeak are!

Vegan Epicurean said...

You are going to going to start a bubble and squeak fad in America. I can see it now. It is such a brillant and tasty way to use leftovers.

Bianca said...

Yum! I love foods with cute names, like bubble and squeak. And this is a perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes. Whenever I make mashed taters, I always make too much and get bored with the leftovers before I eat them all.

BTW, for some reason, I've never seen your blog...even though you comment on mine all the time. I'd see your comments and assume I'd been looking at yours too, and today, I clicked on your name in my comments, and I was like, wow! I've never seen this! I'm adding it to my blogroll...

Seitan Said Dance said...

This sounds great! I think I'm going to try to do a pseudo bubble and squeak with leftover veggies from homemade broth.

JohnP said...

I love bubble & squeak!

jessy said...

i love this, Jeni! i can’t wait to make some bubble ‘n squeak with our leftovers – and i love that you keep it simple & delicious with salt ‘n pepper. yay!

For the Love of Guava said...

Mwhaha... bubble and squeak perfection!!! Well done treehugger!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

ooh i like the idea of adding other veg, my mum always just used to do potato and cabbage! the smell of leftover cabbage always makes me want to gag!!

Kelly said...

Yummy! I want to try them... with a fun name like that, how could I resist?!

Susan said...

Nom!

Rose said...

YUM! I bet these would taste awesome in a burger too. I always have trouble getting patties to bind properly, you have to be super careful when you flip them all they fall to pieces!

Rose

Amy said...

Yay! Bubble and squeak is super delicious!!!

Seitan Said Dance said...

Hey, I just wanted to give you a heads up that I played around with your recipe a bit. It was so fun! Thanks for sharing it.

http://seitansaiddance.blogspot.com/2009/10/bubbles-dont-squeak.html

Anonymous said...

hi, good site very much appreciatted

Anonymous said...

hi, new to the site, thanks.