14/10/2009

Vegan MoFo Day#14: One potato, two potato, three potato, four...

....Five potato, six potato, seven potato MORE! Todays MoFo shall be dedicated to the king of the spuds. I'm not talking about King Edwards either, oh no. There is one potato that surpasses King Edwards.
In fact all other potatoes in the existence of potatoes just fade into insignificance compared to this one. This is the don, the head honcho, heck - this is THE DADDY. What am I talking about? People - I give you The Jersey Royal New Potato.
See - even the name kicks butt. There is one thing that epitomises an English summer for me and that is this regal potato. Only in the shops from April until June they are gorged on by UK'ers, who receive 90% of Jerseys crop, year after year.
The remaining 10% of the crops are enjoyed by Jersey islanders themselves (it's a small island and nothing to do with mainlanders being greedy. Honest).
Oh how I weep for the rest of the world. And I know what you're all thinking. This MoFo'er has gawn mad.
What's she doing talking about a summer potato crop when it's blinking Autumn!? Right? I'm right aren't I! Well - ha ha. Feast your eyes on my score today.

seriously - name another vegetable that has a Limited Edition!

Oh and they're packed full of fibre and vitamin C too.

All hail the mighty potato We are not worthy

Seriously, vegans of the world; pair yourself up for a package swap with a UK'er around May/June next year and hint massively, heck - cut out the hinting - DEMAND your swap buddy sends you some of these bad boys.

GO VEGAN! GO MoFo!

24 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm always in favor of the mighty potato!


Jenn
Head Cabbage:HelloVeggie.org

DJ said...

I LOVE Jersey Royals! Anything more than a bit of vegan marg and some chopped parsley or dill is an unnecessary frivolity with these babies!

The Kuntrageous Vegan said...

man those brussel sprouts look delicious. so i can't get those potatoes in the states?

L said...

Hey Jeni..I gave you Kreativ Blogger award!

chow vegan said...

I don't think I've ever seen a potato labeled limited edition. That's cool! :-)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

yep yep i'm with ya, jersey royals are the daddy of potatoes!

I'm gonna have to scoot my booty to the supermarket and see if i can snaffle some second crop limited editions before everyone else does!!!

Anonymous said...

*Sniff....sniff*
Did someone say potatoes?
*Comes out of burrow*

Potatoes are the simplest, greatest, most comforting food EVER. I've never met a 'tato I haven't loved! <3

Limited edition, second crop spuds!?! LOL! >:oD

Loving your posts buddy! Enjoy the rest of your time in the U.K :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Sorry Kunt - no you can't. We are greedy this side of the pond and don't wanna share.
:)

Sal - I got these from Morrisons!
GO! GO! GO!

For the Love of Guava said...

Sounds like you're volunteering to send us all potatoes Treehugger???

Sophia said...

Potatoes are awesome! I eat lots of them, just such a versatile vegetable.
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/

Vegan Epicurean said...

I have never heard of these. For those of us in the US can you explain the difference between these and the more common potato varieties? Thanks.

thedalyn said...

Oh man. I want a limited edition potato....

Felicity said...

I think I will have to grow Jersey Royals next year. We love spuds.

Amanda said...

My life has seriously been lacking! These look amazing!

jessy said...

you know it's a damn fine potato if it's got a limited edition sticker on it. ah ha ha ha! that is just too awesome, Jeni! :) now i want some of those gloriously good potatoes! wooooohooooo!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sticking up for the red-headed stepchild of the vegetable community. Not "just a starch," potatoes are nutritious and very, very delicious.

So jealous of any varieties we can't get in the U.S.

Mary said...

Those brussels sprouts look pretty respectable, too!

Anonymous said...

Limited edition potatoes!! I clearly need to move to the UK.

Zoey said...

I love potatoes, but I have never tried this kind. Maybe someday!

Susan said...

I love potatoes! How great that it has a limited edition - I love it!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Mmm...potatoes!

Amy said...

Potatoes are definitely one of my favouritist food groups! And wow, I want limited edition taties!!!

Jen Treehugger said...

Oh VE - I so wish I could describe these potatoes and do them justice. Saying that they are buttery sweet with a delicate taste of summer meadows just doesn't seem to work. Describing food that has no comparison is really really hard. How would you descibe a banana to someone who has never had a banana?
:)

Veg-In-Training said...

I'm a huge spud fan. I am sad to say I've never experienced a Jersey Royal. I'm feeling very deprived.