29/07/2009

What do we want? We want PIE.......

When do we want it?
NOW! OK so this wasn't the cries of my Salad overdosed family but they wanted something good and hearty and by gads they were going to get it! Served with Salad of course. In all honesty this isn't really a Pie. It is a Tart. But there's something about saying "I made a Pie" that deeply satisfies me where as saying "I made a Tart" just doesn't cut it. So I shall name this Tarty Pie. It's a Pie with it's summer wardrobe on - i.e no top. Or a skimpy tarty little top at that. I was inspired to make this from a little book called - 101 Veggie Dishes but that recipe called for Feta Cheese - YUK! So in true heathen vegan style - I completely re-worked it and me and my family were totally bowled over by it's deliciousness. You shall be too. Ingredients serves 4 2 tablespoons Olive Oil 2 large yellow Onions, thinly sliced half teaspoon Salt 1 tablespoon Demerera Sugar 1 tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar Sheet of ready made Puff Pastry 4 Sundried Tomatoes in Olive Oil, drained a little bit 8 Black Olives, sliced Fresh Basil to garnish Method Preheat your oven to 200ÂșC or 390F. Heat the Olive Oil in a frying pan and add the Onions along with a teaspoon of Salt. Fry gently for 10-15 minutes until the Onions are caramelised. Add the Sugar and stir then add the Balsamic Vinegar and cook for a further 5 minutes, stirring all the time. Roll out the Pastry and use it to line a rectangle dish 6 inches by 10 inches or there abouts. Chop the excess Pastry off so as the crust is only about an inch and a half high. Of course if you have a swiss roll tin then this would be even better to use. Cover the base of the Pastry with the Onion mixture, scatter over the Sundried Tomatoes and Black Olives and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes. Scatter over the Basil Leaves and serve.
served with Patatas Bravas (recipe to come soon) and fresh Corn Salad
GO VEGAN!

21 comments:

DJ said...

phwoarrr - very tarty!!!
Lovelovelove patatas bravas so looking forward to the recipe!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yummy, I love pies and that one sure looks awesome.

Jodi Anderson said...

This looks and sounds absolutely amazing. Yum yum yum.

For the Love of Guava said...

mmm... I don't care if that's a pie or a tart or a tarty pie or it's a pie made by a little vegan tart :)... it looks like it should go right in my pie-hole! hehee...

elizabeth said...

looks sooooo good!

Kelly said...

That looks incredibly tasty, like good comfort food.

veggie belly said...

Yummy!! Puff pastry makes everything better! I love the onions, balsamic, sundried tomatoes in this. Im bookmarking your post to try :)

miss v said...

tart, pie... either way, i'd gobble that up in a heartbeat!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

yum I <3 me some puff pastry! I love patatas bravas too, looking forward to the recipe!

Rose said...

ooo this tart looks delicious! so does the salad, I love corn.

Rose

Veganosaurus said...

Ohhh yum!! The corn plate looks delish! And the samosas look like they turned out well :) You could also try baking them if you get tired of frying. You need to mix in more oil (or shortening if you're okay with using some) into the flour and salt. And then mix water in to form the dough. The baked ones aren't as crisp but they're pretty yum nevertheless.

Felicity said...

Tarty pie, lol. Yer so funny, Jeni. And your pie rocks!

Any potato recipe is a good recipe. Bring it on!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Yum! This looks great. I'm loving that salad. Is that corn I see?

kmouse said...

I think I'm going to make that!

Anonymous said...

Yum!

Bethany said...

pie? tart? I'll eat either one. looks really tasty!

Emmett said...

Looks very tasty and good!!

Anonymous said...

That looks deeeelish! I know what you mean about the tart/pie thing. Tart souds so dainty, but I made a pie sounds like you did something more substantial!

Jen Treehugger said...

hee hee hee - EXACTLTY Shelly!
Tart does sound dainty doesn't it!

Amy said...

Pie or tart I'm definitely loving this one!! Yum!

Oraphan said...

That looks fantastic and sounds so good. I would love to give it a try soon.