23/07/2009

Samosas famosas

Hi peeps. I'm still here, I haven't melted away! Though it might be a different story this time next week as the temperature is meant to be rising even more! We've been eating lots of really good Salads and cooking indoors as little as possible which explains my lack of bloggage as the food generally hasn't been very exciting or very pretty to the eye. We've been having lots of BBQ's - see
BBQ'd Corn, Patatas Bravas, Salad and Veggie Kabobs in an awesome Marinade of Peanut Butter, Olive Oil, Soy Sauce and Wholegrain Mustard - seriously good.
We were invited to a friends on Tuesday for a BBQ and I came up with the brainwave of making Samosas. I had a huge bowl of Curry leftover which helped me in my decision to make these as all I had to do was make the dough and VOILA! I had never made Samosas before so a bit of googling was necessary to give me an extra boost of confidence and boy - did I get that or what. Check out this awesome lady - Manjula. Her video is amazing.
There's a part two as well which skips the filling and gets onto the making and frying and the bit I was interested in mainly, seeing as I already had my filling made. But I am SO going to make these again and I'll use Manjula's filling next time. The recipe I used for the dough is as thus 225 grams plain Flour 2 teaspoons Salt 2 table spoons Canola Oil 80 ml warm Water This made enough for 26 Samosas - plenty for everyone!
HURRAH!
They were seriously good and the making of them was peculiarly therapeutic. I really enjoyed making them and they will be a regular dish in the treehugging household from now on. The possibilities of the fillings are pretty endless too and they are a GREAT way to use up leftovers. GO VEGAN!

17 comments:

For the Love of Guava said...

Oh man... dying of jealously! Your samosas look all flaky and bubbly and delicious... mine always look so heavy..

but coincidentally I recently splurged on some pre-made ones and they're in my fridge.. HA! teehe... okay okay... yeah i'll have to be good and try yours next time though...

**Grabs Tumbleweed Hugger and refuses to let go... **

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I've never made samosas. Looks like I need to give it a try, though.

disabled account said...

holy moly jeni!! you've out done yourself! they look perfectly done and sooo tasty! you bring the samosas and i'll bring the cake, haha!

xoxo

Tracy said...

Yum!! I love samosas and have never got the hang of the pastry. You rock!!

Sheree' said...

I love vegan BBQ. BBQ corn delish!!!

Michelle said...

Ohh samosas!! They look so yummy! The first corn on the cob of the summer super-excites me! I got some today in my CSA and they will be my first priority this week. :)

DJ said...

Ooh, they look soooo good!!! I normally cheat and use filo pastry, but it's not the same...

Steffi said...

are there any leftovers? I love samosas but usually can't be arsed to make my own.

Jen Treehugger said...

Lol Guava- I feel all squished now.

Miss Muffin - you got yerself a deal. It has to be Spice Cake though - I've been dreaming of that bad boy.

Lisa, Tracy, DJ and Pav - trust me - these were so super easy to make it made me wonder why I hadn't tried making them before. Watch the video 'cos it certainly worked it's magic on me.

Veg-a-nut - BBQ's ROCK don't they. Believe it or not this was my first BBQ'd Corn this year. I'd had some before but it was cooked on the stove. There is nothing like BBQ'd Corn, it has to be one of the best things to eat EVER!

michelle - I KNOW!! It excites me too!

Penny said...

We all love samosas and I've been meaning to try making them for ages (you know, every time we chomp into some bought ones I say, 'I really must try making these sometime...')
Now I've no excuse to leave it any longer. I hope they'll turn out as nice as yours...

Felicity said...

mmm, samosas, mmm. Yours look delicious. And that plate o' BBQ'd goodness looks oh-so-scrumptious.

jessy said...

hooray, Jeni! i got all happyfaced see'n your post!

bbq yummies = the best! dan & i have yet to make samosas and after seeing yours we're gonna have to!

hope you're having the most fantastically stellar weekend!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

oh yum I love love LOVE samosas. I have only made them with a pack of frozen filo before, so gonna have to give them a real go now!

miss v said...

heck yea - i've never had samosas before, but they look like some damn fine crispy goodness!

wingraclaire said...

Man, do those look delicious. Hope it didn't make you a lot HOTTER to fry them though! What a good idea to use up the leftovers!

Claire

Veganosaurus said...

Aaaand I realized I left the comment for this post in your newer post! Duh! :oP

Bethany said...

I love samosas! when I go out for indian food, I just have to have them and get sad when they aren't vegan. it looks like Manjula knows her stuff. mmmmm... samosas!