12/06/2009

Is there anything more beautiful than a Coconut Cream Pie?

Apart from two Coconut Cream Pies that is? NAH! There isn't. We were invited to our friends house for dinner last night and being aware of the fact that a lot of people go into a hyperventilating fit at the mere thought of making anything vegan - I offered to bring dessert*. Admittedly this Pie wasn't my first choice. I had made a Strawberry Cheesecake but my miscalculation of how much Agar Agar to use resulted in Strawberry Sludge. Delicious Strawberry Sludge I hasten to add - but sludge all the same. Never one to panic in the face of disaster *ahem* I had the brilliant idea of consulting the Vegan Tickles blog - where amongst her photos of beautiful mouth watering desserts, I knew I would find inspiration. Oh boy am I glad I did! How I had forgotten her post about Coconut Cream Pie is completely beyond me but I shall never forget it from this moment on. I had all the ingredients as well so I didn't even need to make a special trip to the supermarket or anything (was this a sign or what!). The recipe can be found here from deliciousTV.com
no inside shot 'cos it was scoffed up in seconds
The base is lovely and crisp and holds together perfectly and the filling is delicately coconutty with the right amount of sweetness. It sets perfectly and is oh so creamy and delicious. The fact that this was the eaisest dessert IN THE WORLD as well makes it an all round thumbs up ten out of ten and will be making a regular appearance in the treehugger household. Yep - I'm glad the Strawberry Cheesecake was a big fat sludgey fail and I'm glad this Pie has come into my life. GO VEGAN! *which is one of the many good reasons for inviting me to dinner

24 comments:

Penny said...

That looks SO GOOD! I'm going to look up that recipe and make it soon! You can come round to our place anytime! (If you bring stuff like that!)

disabled account said...

i know how you feel. when i made my coconut pie i sat there wondering why i'd waited sooooo long to try it! i need to make another one of those soon. yummy!

Mihl said...

That sounds yummy. To me, desserts with coconut are always a big hit. I live the combination of sugar and coconut or even better: toasted coconut.

Amanda said...

You're invited to dinner. Anytime. Should I expect you and the pie tonight at 7pm? Which gives you exactly enough flying time between Spain and Boston..he he he!!

I LOVE coconut cream pie!! I must try this. I tried the Veganomicon one recently..t'was okay but nothing to scream about.

Jen Treehugger said...

There's a recipe in Veganomicon!!??
Oh my....I soooo need to pick that book up more. BUT having said that - it was definitely the photos from other peoples blogs that made my mind up to make it.
Gotta have visuals....

:)

aTxVegn said...

It looks beautiful and delicious! I love coconut cream pie.

wingraclaire said...

Thanks for that link because now that it's summer here I totally want to make a cool pie like that! And I have all the ingredients!

Wait, I own VCon; I'll look there too.... wonder if there is a difference in the recipes.

Susan said...

Mmmmm.... That looks delicious! Vegan Tickles certainly does provide much insipiration.

You are welcome to come to my house for dinner whenever you want!

Do you thnk if I shake my phone really hard your messages will appear?? ;)

VeganCowGirl said...

Thanks for the links jeni! I am going to check out that coconut pie right now! Yours looks amazing!!!!

Felicity said...

oooo, that looks scrumptious. You are invited to ours for tea anytime, Jeni!

jessy said...

dan absolutely adores coconut cream pie, Jeni! we're totally going to have to make this! yours looks perfect & soooo gooooood!

Anonymous said...

Coconut cream pie is one of my very, very favourites! Yours is making me wish I had some coconut milk so I could make some right now! Adding coconut milk to the list...

Oraphan said...

I LOVE coconut cream pie but I've never tried to make them. I've been looking for quick and easy recipe for this dessert for a long time. Thanks for the link and I'll definitely give it a try soon.=D

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

that is one sexy looking pie!

Anonymous said...

This Pie is sooo sooo simple to make it's ridiculous.

For the Love of Guava said...

YUM!! That does seem simple! Sounds like my kind of dessert **batts eyelashes** dinner plans for tonight treehugger?

Lovlie said...

Yes I agree, there's nothing better than Coconut Cream Pie! I've never had it before but anything coconut gets my attention! That pie looks divine! I will definitely make it!

I hear what you about people going into a fit at the thought of preparing anything vegan!

And about what you said on my blog about stocking vegan products from the UK, I'm going there in July. I totally know what you mean! I'm pretty excited! Hurray for treats!

Bethany said...

mmmmmm.... you had the bonus of delicious sludge and coconut cream pie? I'm so going to make this. and I'm extra lazy, so I will buy a premade crust. ok, I'm not that lazy, but all the graham crackers out here have honey in them, so I have to make them myself. such is my life.

on a side track... does the cream of tomato soup where you're at have acutal dairy in it? the us version doesn't. it is basically tomato soup that is blended up, thus the misleading "cream of".

sp said...

It looks delicious. Coconut Cream pie is one of my all time favorite desserts. Since you live so far away I don't expect you'll be coming to dinner anytime soon so I'm going to have to make my own. Thanks for the recipe.

Rose said...

wow, ive never heard of a coconut cream pie. Like you ive tried making a couple of vegan cheesecakes which have flopped :( but this sounds and looks delicious.

Rose

Em said...

this looks so good, never had a regular coconut cream pie, but i think ill try the vegan version!

spiceislandvegan said...

Whoa! This looks good. I have to try this. I love coconut and coconut cream pie.

Anonymous said...

Oh my God. You are pure evil. I want to dive into that pie!

kmouse said...

Beautiful!!!