04/06/2009

That's Why We Don't Eat Animals

New book for children, and adults, because I'm sure gonna buy myself a copy and show my support to the Author and Illustrator, Ruby Roth. Here’s the blurb from the book’s website http://www.wedonteatanimals.com
‘That’s Why We Don’t Eat Animals’ takes a candid, compassionate look at the plight of animals on factory farms, using gorgeous artwork and lively text to introduce vegetarianism and veganism to early readers. An endearing cast of animals is shown both in their natural state—rooting around, bonding, nuzzling, cuddling, grooming one another, and charming each other with their family instincts and rituals—and in the sad conditions of the factory farm. The book also addresses the effect eating animals has on our environment, rain forests, and endangered species. At the end, a section entitled “What Else Can We Do?” suggests ways children can learn more about the vegetarian and vegan lifestyles. The boldest step yet in children’s literature, this heartfelt, informative book offers a key resource to inspire parents and children to talk about a timely, increasingly important subject.
If you're in LA this Saturday 6th June then pop along to Storyopolis where you can meet Ruby for the official Launch Party. And if that's not enough to tempt you there, there will be Cookies and Milk too! Provided by Uncle Eddies Vegan Cookies and Rice Dream!
Click on poster to enlarge. Go along and let me know how awesome it is!
GO VEGAN!

13 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh chickies! cute! Love it. I'm on the wrong coast but maybe the author will come east and I can check it out!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

oh i think i saw this on facebook. great idea!!

For the Love of Guava said...

Awww... the illustrations look great!! I wish I had time to do this this weekend... although... family members might see this as propaganda for the younguns... hmm.. they could be influenced by worse! -_-

**non-Animal Eating Hugs for Treehugger!** :)

Mihl said...

If I ever have kids the first thing I have to do is teach them English, so that I can read this great book with them.

x said...

What a cute looking book!

Tracy said...

As if the book wasn't cool enough, I could really go for some Uncle Eddie's! LA gets all the cool stuff *pout*

wingraclaire said...

Looks like a great book - I will check it out.... wish I were closer to California!

Anonymous said...

What a great recommendation. I need to try to order a copy for Guppy!

Oraphan said...

What an inspiring book! I would love my son to read it. If we can't make it tomorrow, I'll definitely buy a copy for my son. Thanks for the info. =D

Bethany said...

I've seen this book, but didn't read it yet. looks really cool.

VEGAN TICKLES said...

I can't wait to see look thru this book at the bookstores.

miss v said...

this is awesome! i'm glad that it is good for kids too... it's a hard concept to teach when so many are pro-meat.

Susan said...

Hello hello!

Yay, I have finally caught up on your blog. And by caught up, I also mean backtracked through the whole thing because I am slightly OCD like that and I want your recipes. Hee hee. You have officially been part of Project Procrastination 2009. ;)

Anyway, some comments...

1. I think this book is great! Kids need to be taught about the realities of life, not have everything sugar coated. And they should be educated so they canmake their own decisions.

2. Your onion rings look amazing and I have bookmarked the blog of the recipe to make them. Nom.

3. Hurrah for your new kitchen! When I lived in Sydney I had a teeny, mucky old kitchen with teeny tiny workspaces, then I moved to a much nicer bigger kitchen. Now I am back home with the parentals and we redid our kitchen about a year ago and I got to have a lot of say, so it is AWESOME. A great kitchen makes so much difference to one's cooking mindset.

4. Do you remember the brand of the butterscotch chips your swap friend sent you? I am trying to track some down.

And, FINALLY, you know all those messages you left on my phone for the Vegan Fayre? And how we were expecting when I got back to Australia and it started working properly again that I'd have lots of missed messages from you? Nothing. Nadda. They were EATEN by the evil Optus monster. Grrr. Still kicking myself for not giving you Jen's number or calling you from her phone. I guess there's always the next time I am in Spain or you are in Australia! ;)

OK, I am done now.

Susan :)