22/06/2009

Pepperoni Style Sausage

This is one of my favourite ways to make Seitan. It is seriously moreish. I've used it in sandwiches, stews, on pizzas and just for slicing off a hunk and snacking with. Pepperoni Style Sausage makes 2 sausages each about 200 grams Ingredients 1 1/2 cups of Vital Wheat Gluten 1/2 cup Nutritional Yeast 1 tsp Onion Powder 1 tsp Garlic Salt 3 Cloves of Garlic, squeezed through a garlic press 1 1/2 tsp Mixed Herbs 1 Tblsp Toasted Sesame Seeds (toast your own if you can) 1/2 cup Thick "Beef" broth 1/4 cup Red Wine 1 Tblsp Soy Sauce 1 Tblsp Olive Oil 5 Tblsp Tomato Paste 2 Sundried Tomatoes, diced thinly 1 teaspoon Liquid Smoke few drops of Tabasco
Directions Place in a bowl the Vital Wheat Gluten, Nutritional Yeast and crushed Garlic. Mix well with a fork. Add the Garlic Salt, Onion Powder and Mixed herbs. The contents of this bowl shall forever be known as "dry ingredients". In a separate bowl - place the rest of the ingredients and mix well. The contents of this bowl shall be known as "wet ingredients" Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork until it all comes together to form a dough. Knead for a few minutes. Pesky bits of Sundried Tomatoes will keep popping out but just stick 'em back in. Take 2 pieces of aluminum foil and lightly oil. Divide the dough into 2 equal parts and roll each piece into a sausage shape about 6 inches long and 3 inches diameter. Roll up each sausage in each piece of foil and roll the foil round the sausage. Twist the ends tight so as the sausage shape retains. Bake in the middle of an oven at 200 degrees for 40 mins turning round half way through cooking time. Unwrap and leave to cool completely. Each sausage yields about 25 1/4 inch slices and will get scoffed very very quickly! I should make double this recipe each time really.
The dough
Rolled out like a sausage "I did a twisty, a tiny twisty" NOM NOM!
GO VEGAN!

18 comments:

Carrie said...

Yum - I love baked seitan!

Hollie said...

That looks delicious! If this elimination diet shows that I can eat wheat, I will definitely be trying that!

Marni said...

Yet another recipe I'm adding to my "must try" pile. This sounds amazing. :)

Megan said...

Yum! I'm going to try this. Vegan sausage is so surprisingly easy to make. Makes you wonder why Tofurkey costs so much, eh?

Anonymous said...

Yum. I am going to have to make these to go on our pizza. They look terrific.

Oraphan said...

Mmmmmm, your sausage looks really good and sounds so tasty. I can't wait to try to make it, thanks for the recipe.

Also thanks so much for your lovely comments on my blog. I love your blog too, I really enjoy reading it.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

yum sounds good!! I've never tried baking seitan, must give it a go!

For the Love of Guava said...

mm... this just might be where my fear of seitan ends...

aTxVegn said...

I've never made a pepperoni style sausage - yum!

Penny said...

Pepperoni style, eh? I think the family would like this one!

Felicity said...

mmm, this looks yummy. I usually steam my sausages, but I like the idea of baking as an alternative.

Anonymous said...

These sound great! I want to make some nummy snausages for pizza night - these sound like they'll do the job!

Bethany said...

mmmmmm... wine in a sausage. sounds good to me! I have to try my hand at making seitan again :)

miss v said...

this looks yum, and i bet it would taste awesome all crumbled up on a pizza!

wingraclaire said...

I'll show this to my husband! He is the seitan maker in our household... probably because he is the biggest seitan EATER in our house! You can catch him snacking on seitan whenever the mood strikes, and he is willing to try new methods for a different flavor!

Rose said...

wow, never thought of making my own sausages, youve done well! :)
I should really try making these.

Rose

Anonymous said...

Wait! So I DON'T have to steam sausages? I was under the impression that's what I had to do and therefore I would never do it!! THIS changes everything! Thanks!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Ooh sesame seeds! I've never had them in seitan but that sounds delish.