08/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 8: Chili Gone Barmy

I love one pot meals. I also love one pot meals that can be prepared hours ahead of time. In fact I can't really think of any meal that isn't improved a hundred fold by being left for a few hours to steep and simmer in it's juices. I think it's quite safe to say that most Vegetarians and Vegans learn to make Chili quite early on in life. It's one of those fail safe transition foods that is easily adapted and happily scoffed down by omni friends and family alike. I also bet that everyone has their own way of making their Chili and I bet everyone makes a good damn Chili at that too. So I was in two minds to write up my recipe but then I wouldn't have had anything to blog about (without using my brain to come up with something else that is) so sorry folks but here is yet another recipe for Chili - only this one really is the best I promise you.
Chili Gone Barmy serves 4 Ingredients 1 Tblsp Olive Oil 1 tsp Mustard Seeds 1 Medium Onion, chopped, sliced, bit of both - whatever. 2 Green Chilies, De-seeded if you don't want too much spicy heat, I like my Chili HOT 2 Cloves Garlic, diced Medium Red Pepper, de-seeded and cut into long strips Pinch Italian Herbs (Herbs Provencal - or Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme - but just a smidgen) 1/4 teaspoon Cinnamon 2 tins Plum Tomatoes - juice an' all 1 Jar or two tins Red Kidney Beans ( of course you can use Fresh Beans that have been cooked according to the packet - about 400 grams of cooked Beans is what you're after) 250 grams Long Grain Rice 1 tin Sweetcorn Salt Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Method Add the Olive Oil to a big heavy based pot, heat for a few seconds and add the Mustard Seeds - PUT THE LID ON! This step is important because Mustard Seeds pop like popcorn and you will be attacked with tiny popping Mustard bombs otherwise. Return to the heat and add the Onions and Chili. Saute for 5-8 mins without putting your head over the pot - you will be blinded for 5 minutes - not that I did this you understand, ahem! Then, when your eyes have stopped watering and you can see again, add the Peppers and cook for another few minutes. Drain and rinse the Kidney Beans and add to the pot. Cook for 5 minutes stirring once in a while. Add both tins of Plum Tomatoes squishing them up with a fork so as they break down, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat, add a pinch of Italian Herbs and the Cinnamon and cook for 20 mins stirring now and again. Place the lid on and go about your business. 20 mins before serving, bring a HUGE pan of Water to boil and add your Rice, simmer for 12 mins and drain. Heat your Chili through and cook with the lid off, stirring quite regularly. Add the drained Sweetcorn, Rice and season to taste. I find this needs quite a bit of Salt. Cook for another 5 minutes and serve. This is good in a Jacket Potato the next day as well - or even served in between Tortillas and Tacos. YUM! I know I'm not alone in saying I often have songs stuck in my head and then have this incessant need to play them over and over again until I am sated. Well, I thought it would be fun to have a song for each blog entry just so as y'all can see what an eclectic taste in music I have if nothing else, but maybe to inspire you to have a listen to the same song and spread the love in song format. Todays song is England Be Nice by Ini Kamoze. Choooooon!

6 comments:

half pint pixie said...

Oooh, as you know I love chili! And this one looks good :)

...barbara... said...

i must say you can never have to many chili recipes...
i like to play around and make my own but i also like to make others.....i am happy as my chili list grows....

Anonymous said...

Oh dear... I'm one of those people that don't like spicy foods! I am trying to change my tastebuds by adding mild indian foods to our diet though so I will try your recipe. Jeff will be ecstatic - he loves chili!
Thanks for the recipe
Sara :D

Joanna said...

I love the name of your blog. It's hilarious. And I know exactly what you mean about chili. Vegetarians/vegans feel like they have to know how to make it because it's just too damn good to miss out on. I like how you put mustard seeds in it. I've never even had a jar of them haha

thedalyn said...

That chili looks delicious, but, for some reason, I can't stand cinnamon in savory foods. Any other dessert spice is fine, but not cinnamon. Still, maybe I'll give your recipe a shot without it!

disabled account said...

oh, you make good chili! i use cinnamon too...i put it in pasta sauce sometimes too, with a pinch of nutmeg.