04/10/2008

Vegan MoFo: Day 5 - Cherry Tomato Tarts with Pesto Cream

I feel quite sad about this MoFo entry. Why? Because it uses the last of my Cherry Tomatoes and Basil. *sniff* But the sadness didn't last long. Oh no....about as long as it took to cook up these babies and scoff 'em down. Cherry Tomato Tarts with Pesto Cream serves 4 Ingredients 2 Tblsp Olive Oil 1 Onion finely chopped 375g Cherry Tomatoes 2 Cloves garlic, chopped 3 Sundried Tomatoes, chopped 1 sheet Puff Pastry (depending how big the sheets are - you need about 375g of pastry) I recipe Besto Pesto Salt and Pepper
Method Heat the Olive Oil in a frying pan and saute the Onions for 5 mins until soft. Halve about a third of the Cherry Tomatoes. Take the frying pan off the heat and add the Garlic, Sun Dried Tomatoes and then stir in all of the Cherry Tomatoes until lightly coated in the sauce. Lay out the pastry sheet and cut out 4 5 inch rounds (a small plate is ideal if you don't have a fancy tool). Lightly grease a baking sheet and sprinkle with cold water and transfer the pastry circles onto it. Make a shallow cut 1cm from the edge of each round to form a rim. Brush the rims with a little Olive Oil and pile the Tomato mixture into the centres of the tarts making sure it stays within the rims. Bake in a pre-heated oven, 220 degrees (425 Fahrenheit) for about 15 mins until the pastry is risen. Plop on a dollop of Pesto and Bob's yer uncle. We had these with Sweetcorn and Mashed Potato.
And because I'm a sucker for filling in fun vegan related survey's here's my answers to this survey here 1. Name a song that involves food in some way. one potato two potato three potato four........ 2. What criteria do you use when choosing a new cookbook to buy? One that's going cheap on Amazon 3. What did you eat today? Chocolate Cake so far 4. Name a vegan food that you know exists but you have never tried. Marshmallows 5. The Food Network just called and needs you to start your new show tomorrow. What will the title of the show be? Take 5 6. Favorite hot sauce or other spicy condiment? Black Pepper 7. How old were you when you became vegetarian/vegan? 14 - vegetarian and 34 - vegan 8. Favorite vegan cheeze? My own homemade 9. Cutest baby animal? hedgehogs 10. Favorite type of jam/jelly/marmalade/preserves? Gooseberry Jam (I am addicted to the stuff) 11. Do you take any vitamins/supplements? no 12. What food/dish most embodies the Fall season? Soup 13. What food would you have a hard time living without? Mushrooms - I would end it all if I couldn't have Mushrooms 14. Coffee, tea, or hot chocolate? tea - with milk 15. It's 10PM and you're starving. What do you eat? a Piccalilli sandwich 16. If you have an animal companion, what is his/her favorite food? One of my cats likes Peanuts another one likes birds and the other two will eat anything 17. Worst injury you've gotten in the kitchen? I spilled boiling oil on my finger 18. When you have a food-related question, who do you call? The PPK'ers 19. Summer is ending- What food will you miss most? Asparagus 20. What snacks do you keep in your purse/backpack/desk at work? Gum 21. Favorite soup to make on a rainy day? Any Soup, all Soup, Soup is goooood 22. What's your favorite combination of fresh vegetable and/or fruit juices? Carrot and Swede mashed together 23. Favorite brand of root beer? I don't have one 24. Make your own question What's the un-vegan food you miss the most? Tuna

9 comments:

disabled account said...

i think i'm coming to your house for dinner! i posted about pesto yesterday...great minds think alike.

i'll post that survey today too. i love those things. :)

Nicole said...

Cherry tomatoes and pesto, yum!

Lily Girl said...

Mmmmm that looks delicious! I love me some puff pastry... a lot... it's probably unreasonable actually. I'm pretty sure you could wrap dirt it in and I would consider eating it, but your cherry tomatoes and pesto sounds much better :)

Jen Treehugger said...

*bakes lily a dirt pie!*

I think Pesto has to be one of my favourite things, I would eat it all day every day.....well...I do that when basil's in season anyway!

Anonymous said...

Computer says yes! You are feeding once more, now I can't miss a thing! Jobs a good'un.

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Yummmm... gotta love the pesto!

Little Pea said...

mmm... Yum

Take 5 is a magazine here, and that's interesting that you don't take any vitamins/supplements. I take Iron occasionally. Do you have any B12 deficiency?

Bethany said...

wow, that tart is amazing. I love it when tomatoes have that roasted look. yum!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I wish I found this post before my cherry tomatoes ran out. This looks delicious.