04/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 4: I wanna talk about peas

I think peas are one of my favourite vegetables, they are certainly in the top 5. In fact, on the subject of favourite veg my top 10 would go something like this: Asparagus Avocado (though it is in fact a berry I still calls it a veg 'kay) Mushrooms Peas Spinach Broccoli Garlic Courgettes Sweetcorn Potato But back to the main attraction - Peas. If you've never tasted Peas fresh from the pod then you haven't lived! They are like Natures own candy. I can remember shelling pods, as a kid, with my mum and more than a few would invariably end up in my mouth and my mum's too before making it to the dinner table. Their taste is sublime. So it might come as a shock to learn that my favourite way to take peas (giggle) is in a highly processed manner with all sorts of added salt and sugar. What am I talking about? People, I give you THE MUSHY PEA!
A traditional favourite to Britons (in fact I have no idea if these are exclusively a Brit thing - maybe you guys who visit here can tell me if the love of Mushy Peas is a world phenonemon or not). They are traditionally served with that great British contribution to World Cuisine - Fish and Chips. But I eat these babies at any opportunity - they are gooooood. Of course you can make your own Mushy Peas and they are ridiculously easy to do so, so there's really no excuse for me to buy them in the tinned variety except that they are like crack cocaine and I am weak. Dinner last night was full on stodge comfort food and consisted of some slices of Stuffed Seitan which I had in the freezer, Oven Chips and Mushy Peas. For the record - I can't say Mushy Peas without putting on a thick Yorkshire accent - I have no idea why but I am seeking help for it. Meet mah dinner folks

11 comments:

disabled account said...

you forgot to add veganmofo to your labels. that said...

i've never seen those canned peas here in the states. i mean, we have canned peas, just not mushy peas. maybe i can buy them on-line and join the mushy pea cult. haha!

the seitan recipe looks yummalicious and i've never actually made seitan since i can buy it so easily where i live. isa a terry have a recipe in veganomicon i want to try too. i noticed your recipe has suet as an ingredient. i'm curious as to what that really is since here in north america suet is basically unprocessed lard. people buy it and leave it for the wildlife to eat in the winter.

Jen Treehugger said...

Yeah suet is "Lard" but there's a vegetable one in the UK made by Atora.
It's great for stuffings and dumplings and steamed puddings. Though not good to have it too often. How do you make dumplings (biscuits?)
:)

disabled account said...

ahhh! non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening. i'm guessing they're the same thing or at least in the same neighborhood. i don't make a lot of biscuits though, i tend to save my wheat consumption for sweets like cookies and cakes.

Anonymous said...

Jeni- I keep missing your posts, damn the broken RRS feed to hell! I've played catch up now so I feel much better.
Your comments on my ramblings are a good poke to get me to come visit you, so cheers dude! ;o)
Why are carrots not in your top 10?
They're my number 1 (I'm really not a rabbit!)

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmm...non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening, yum.
LOL!
Doesn't have quite the same ring to it as Suet.

Becks - try re-subscribing 'cos I got it all fixed.
Carrots would be number 11 on mah list but I prefer them raw and I'm not really keen on them cooked - unless they're mashed together with some Swede - then you're talking.

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

I've never seen mushy peas here in the states, either. I think it is a british thing. I totally love fresh peas. I can deal with frozen peas, as long as they are mixed in something. But I can't even stand the smell or the sight of canned peas. Still, they would probably make my top ten.

What's a swede? Rutabaga?

Jen Treehugger said...

Yeah Mushy Peas are a bit like Marmite - you either love 'em or hate 'em.
Swede is Rutabaga yeah.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Mushy peas are the greatest invention of our time. I love them.

donesmoking said...

i LOVE mushy peas but can't find 'em here in the US. Are they really easy to make?

Jen Treehugger said...

Sal - I bow down to you.

Evestirs - if you can buy dried Peas then you're halfway there. They must be the whole dried Pea though. You have to soak them over night and then cook them for about half an hour (I will have to check the packet - yes - even though I have a packet of peas I still HAVE to but the tinned ones!!)

Bethany said...

I admit, once in a while I like canned peas. They aren't really like peas anymore at that point.

I have never heard of putting sugar in them.