03/10/2008

Vegan MoFo: Captains Log Day 3 - Having your cake and eating it!

I never really understood that saying "have your cake and eat it". I mean what's the point of having cake if you're NOT going to eat it!!?? Makes no sense. Anyhoooo...all deep thoughts and musings a side, let's talk CAKE! YAY! After the incredible success of my Farmhouse Cake recipe I felt gee'd up and spurred on to don the oven mitts once more and spend an afternoon baking! One of my favourite things about Autumn (besides Halloween, Soup and Bonfires) is the ability to bake again. Baking makes me feel all witchy and magical as I chuck things into my big bowl and whisk furiously (have you ever seen the chef from The Muppet Show?) - it's like alchemy only instead of turning base metals into gold I am turning base ingredients into yummy goodness which is far better than gold in my humble opinion. I decided to veganize an old favourite of mine and that is Dorsetshire Spiced Apple Cake. The Result? Absoforkinglootly SCRUMMAH!
Dorsetshire Spiced Apple Cake serves 1 person for a whole day (or 6 slices if you insist) Ingredients 1 cup Wholemeal Flour 1 cup Plain Flour 1/2 cup Dried Prunes, chopped up 1 Cooking Apple, peeled, cored and a third of it sliced into neat slithers the other half chopped 2 tsp Mixed Spice 1 tsp Cinnamon 1 tsp Vanilla Extract 2 Tblsp Maple Syrup 200ml Melted Vegan Marg 1 Cup Soya Milk 1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda 1/2 tsp salt Golden Granulated Sugar to sprinkle on top
Method Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Thoroughly grease a cake pan 6 inches in diameter and 2 and a half inches deep (yeah it's a small cake - there's only two of us!!) and arrange the neatly slithered Apple Slices on the base following the curve of the cake tin. Set to one side. In a large bowl, toss together the Flour, Bicarb, Prunes, Apple Chunks, Cinnamon, Mixed Spice and Salt. In another large bowl whisk together Soya Milk, Vanilla, Maple Syrup and melted Margarine. Gradually add the wet ingredients to the dried and mix until combined. Pour the cake mixture into the greased cake pan and bake for 60 minutes in the middle of the oven. My oven's PANTS so I had to put a layer of tin foil over the top after 20 mins otherwise it would have burnt to a crisp! Just keep an eye on yours to make sure this doesn't happen. To check the cake is cooked insert a butter knife in the centre from the top and if it comes out clean (ie no cake bits sticking to it) it's ready. Take the cake out the tin by placing a flat plate over the top of the tin and inverting the whole thing over - then transfer the cake to a wire cooling rack. Sprinkle some Golden Granulated Sugar all over the top

7 comments:

allularpunk said...

ummmyes. your cake looks fantabulous. baking in october is absolutely the best and i wanna make bread and cookies tonight. oh, by the way, thanks for making me feel better about my peppers...they were pretty weren't they? *le sigh*

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to picture you cooking a cake muppet style now! :o)
I nearly missed your post today- your RSS feed seems to be busted (for me at least) :o(
I'll have to remember to make a manual pilgrimage here in future as technology is letting me down and I wouldn't wanna miss anything good now would I....

disabled account said...

that looks so good! it would serve this person for the whole day.

viva la veganmofo!

Jen Treehugger said...

Becks - yeah - I broke my RSS!!!
I break things quite a lot...but that's another story.
Apparently I have to just wait for the "powers that be" to get around to fixing it!
*sigh sigh bang head against wall sigh*

Sheree' said...

Wow, this cake is amazing! I love the use of prunes in it. I love prunes. Why do so many people have an aversion to them? Strange.

Jen Treehugger said...

Prunes are ACE!
I love them.

Bethany said...

That cake is so tall. It looks amazing.