21/10/2008

Vegan MoFo day 21: Bubble and Squeak (and no...it's not a crazy new dance fad)

When there are Roast Dinner leftovers in the treehugger household we make Bubble and Squeak. Traditionally this is a dish of all your leftover cooked veggies mixed together then lovingly fried in Oil. What could be better? Ask most Brits and they will tell you they prefer the meal on Boxing Day to that of Christmas Day and that's all because of this wonderful dish - Bubble and Squeak. If they say otherwise - poke 'em in the eye and run away! VeganYumYum made some a while ago and as her photo's are sooo much better than mine (jealous? NO!) I thought you could all have a look to see what they CAN look like. Leftover from last nights dinner we had Roast Potatoes, Broccoli, Carrots and Nut Roast. But use whatever leftover Veg you have - be aware you may need more Potato than anything else as this is what generally binds everything together. But not always. Place all your Veggies in a microwavable dish and nuke 'em for 2 mins - this makes it easier on the old mashing muscles. Then set to with your Potato Masher and mash 'em all up.
When mashed add some thinly diced Onions to the mixture, some Pepper and Salt if needed. Then form into Patty shapes and fry in a little Olive Oil on low heat for 20 mins on each side. Depending on your leftover quota will depend on how many Patties you make - but these do freeze well so whatever you don't eat can be stored for leftover leftovers. LOL!
See mine look pretty too...
I served these up with a recipe I found on This Little Piggy had Tofu because I had Carrots and Sweet Potatoes and it looked blinking yum. And it was! Today's song which I have played so many times today the neighbours are threatening to knock me off their Christmas Card list is Human - by The Killers Listen here and tell me how freaking good this song is!

20 comments:

jessy said...

ohhhhhhhhhh! i think your bubble 'n squeak looks STELLAR! they sound sooooooooooooo good! (and look glorious along side the peas n'n carrots!) yummy!

Agnesss =) said...

Hey Jenni..!!

Here's Agnes , you're gonna make the grocery exchange with me =D
Hope you remember me hah =))

Well...the patties LOOK DELICIOSO!! =)) I love BURGERS =D


I'd be glad to see a comment from you on my new posts...:)) Pls take a look!!

Have a nice time...!!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting Treehugger...... I've never actually had it, but please don't poke me in the eye!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

My grandmother-in-law used to make this, but called it potch. Delicious no matter what you call it! :o)

Jen Treehugger said...

Jessy - I LOVE your comments. Stellar is my new favourite word :)

Agnesssssssss - you make me smile. I visited your blog :)

Rabbit - the lurgy's got to your brain!! Have you never had Bubble and Squeak!!?? I'm shocked rabbit - just shocked.

Lisa - Potch is a good name too.

Elin said...

They look gorgeous! Good enough to eat, in fact ;)

STEPHANIE said...

Anything called Bubble and Squeak is worth a try!
I do love me some Killers too :)

Zoey said...

Hi Jeni,

This is a great idea. I will give this a try the next time I have leftovers. I also love the name!

Unknown said...

tofu feta cheese?!
could you give me the URL for that?
That sounds amazing.

I want to make those bubble and squeak things.
they look so good!

thedalyn said...

I made some after VeganYumYum posted hers and mine didn't look nearly as good as yours. hmph. Now who's jealous?

disabled account said...

oh lord! i was just trying to explain to some people the other day about this dish and i looked it up. the recipe i found had potatoes, brussel sprouts and lard, that's all i remember. so this looks MUCH better, hah!

am i correct in understanding that it gets its name from the sound it makes while frying?

and oh yeah! i want boxing day! i can't stand christmas, but i think i'd like boxing day.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Ooh I love this stuff! The name, the picture, the idea of using up leftovers, and the idea of freezing them to use up leftovers leftovers! YAY!!

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Never had it before - intriguing!

Anonymous said...

Bubble and Squeak will be happening the day after Thanksgiving. I always made a really big bowl of all the leftovers. But fried?! Um yeah.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

mm mm bubble & squeak, haven't had that for years!

I <3 the killers too!

Bethany said...

fried up veggies? sounds good to me. yummy.

Anonymous said...

Bubble and squeak is one of my favorite meals ever! I just have a thing for born-again left-overs, So Good!

Jen Treehugger said...

Hahahaha!
Born again leftovers!!
LOVE IT!!

A.M. said...

I confess, sometimes, I just have to say 'bubble and squeek. Just for the fun of it. But I have never made them! I should though, thanks for the reminder...

Bex said...

I still haven't had this but I might pull this out for our leftovers on Boxing Day, Lex will be so impressed (or depressed from missing home)