22/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 22: Cottage Pie (but it's not made from cottages)

Waves Magic Wand Ta Da!
Due to the intricate ways of energy weaving and the perceptions thereof - I will have to walk you through what just happened there.
I put the Potatoes in a big pan of salted water and bought them to the boil. Then I added to them a chopped Turnip (it was a VERY little Turnip) and a chopped Parsnip. Boiled them all together for 15 mins, drained them, mashed them up with some freshly ground Black Pepper and set them to one side. Then I added a little Olive Oil to another pan, and threw in some sliced up Onions and Carrots and fried gently for 5 mins. Then I added 2 Cloves of Garlic that had been thinly sliced (I like slices of garlic in my food) and added to that a Parsnip that had been diced up. Cooked it all for a few minutes more then added a sliced up Leek, a pint of water and a Bay leaf. Bought everything to a boil and simmered with the lid on for 15 mins - stirring every now and then. Then I added a jar of Lentils (I usually use fresh but this recipe works well with either) and simmered for a few more minutes. I had a few veggies leftover from last nights dinner so they got thrown in too (Courgette, Peas and Roasted Carrots). Then I added 2 teaspoons of Marmite and a few sprinklings of Bisto (Boullion) until I got the consistency I wanted - which was thickish but still with plenty of gravy, then placed all that in an oven proof and topped with the mashed Potatoes/Turnip/Parsnip combo. Drizzled some Olive Oil over the top and put under the grill (broiler) for 10 mins or so - until it was crispy brown all over. Served with some Mashed Carrot and Swede (Rutabaga) with some Peas and you got yourself a magical meal in no time.
I can't make this post without giving a shout out to the two people who helped me decide what my dinner was going to be tonight, thanks to their awesome blogs Dharma in the Dishes OK - I've forgotten the other person and Google reader isn't delivering!! Shame is mine. If I left a comment on your Cottage Pie let me know.
Today's song is Glorious by Andreas Johnson - sing along.... "sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee"

22 comments:

KZ said...

i'm in starch heaven... i can eat that whole thing!

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Damn! I thought it was magic...

And cottages... I'd bet they'd be a little tough to eat. Veggies are a much better choice!

That does look mah-velous...

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Nice kitchen witchery! I love cottage pie!! Can I come over for dinner? Can I? Can I?

Anonymous said...

LOL- your pie looks so good. I wish I had a vegan wand :)

kimmykokonut said...

That looks like some good comfort food. Makes me think of the Shepard's pie of my childhood (mashed potatoes, ground beef, green beans, all layered in a casserole. But my mom never had a beautifully browned crust like you did! Tag! You're it to share your freezer with the world.

kimmykokonut said...

Yum! Comfort food. Reminds me of my mom's shepard's pie. Tag! You're it to share your freezer with the world.

eesh said...

That looks so yummy! I wish I had had something as lovely as that for dinner tonight. Unfortunately I wasn't even at home and the pans are all empty. Can I come over? :P

sp said...

I'm going to try this dish. I've been wanting to make veggie pot pie (kind of like Cottage Pie, no?)but have been reluctant to make a pastry so this looks like the dish for me. It looks so easy and delicious! All the root veggies are in season as well.

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Oooh, yum! Can I borrow that magic wand?

Anonymous said...

Me wants. I would have to swap lentils for realeat mince though~ then me wants. It really does look very delicious.

A.M. said...

I want a wand like that!

Shellyfish said...

I wuv cottage pie. I also like cottages, but you know, not to eat...

Marni said...

Temptress!!!!! If only *my* magic wand were as efficient. Alas, this looks so tasty, I may give it a try nonetheless. This is the first I've heard of Cottage Pie. Looks similar to Shepherd's Pie, though. Yum.

jessy said...

this is a pie of ulimate deliciousness! parsnips, turnips (i loooove turnips), garlic, potatoes, lentils - wow! that's a TON of awesomeness in a wonderful pie. mmmmmmmmmmmmm! i'm coming over for leftovers, Jeni! yay!

Aubade said...

Oh my that looks so yummy. It contains two of my ultimate favorite foods (potatoes and lentils) yet I've somehow never heard of a cottage pie before? WANT!

P.S. I put up the picture of my freezer finally!

Anonymous said...

damn... my wand must be broken when I wave my veggies just sit there uncut and uncooked... must be no match for your heathen voodoo.. can I meditate on them and get a cottage pie?

aTxVegn said...

It is BEAUTIFUL!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Funny I was cooking up some TVP mince & mashed taters and totally contemplated making a cottage pie. That looks awesome!

Jen Treehugger said...

Kim & Marni - Shepherds Pie is the same except it is made with lamb(baaaaa) and Cottage Pie is made from cows (mooooo).

We should totally come up with a new name for this recipe!

Rabbit - you no likey Lentils???

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Gah! Speechless.

Bethany said...

that title made me laugh. I also would love it if there was a cookbook that would just show a pile of ingredients, say "ta-dah" and show the pic of the finished recipe. and that's it, no explanation. not a cookbook for muggles. yeah, I know we all know what a muggle is.

Bex said...

that is one awesome wand. Oooo cottage pie, one of my faves.