15/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 15: Boff Bourgi-nom-nom

This is another pre vegan favourite from my childhood that my mother used to make and I would gladly scoff up. It's an easy recipe to veganise and they're the one's I like the best.
Boff Bourgi-nom-nom serves 4 Ingredients 1lb (450g) Seitan 3 Tblsp Olive Oil 1 medium Onion, sliced 10 Button Mushrooms, quartered 1 Tblsp Flour 1/4 Pint (50ml) Vegetable Stock 1/4 Pint (50ml) Good Red Wine Pinch of Thyme 1 Bay Leaf 2 Cloves of Garlic, diced Method Cut the Seitan into 2 inch cubes. Heat one Tblsp of the Olive Oil in a large pan and fry the cubed Seitan until browned all over, be careful to make sure it doesn't burn. When done, place in a large casserole dish. Fry the Mushrooms and Onions for 5 minutes in the same pan using one Tblsp of the Olive Oil. Add these to the casserole dish. Heat the remaining Olive Oil and add the flour, allow to brown, stirring continuously. Then add the stock to the pan and stir really well for a few minutes.Transfer this to the casserole dish. Also add to the dish the Wine, Thyme, Bay Leaf and Garlic and season well with Salt and Pepper. Give everything a quick stir. Cover and cook in the oven at 180 degrees for 40 mins. I served this up with some Leeky Mashed Potato, steamed Carrots and Spinach with Sesame Seeds. The Leeky Mash is really easy: Slice a Leek and rinse well. Steam for 10 mins then drain and set to one side. Boil your Potatoes for 20 ish minutes. Drain and mash. Add a teaspoon of Whole Grain Mustard, Salt, Pepper and a drizzle of Soya Milk. Then add the Leeks. Stir everything up and place in a dish. Drizzle Olive Oil over the top and grill for 10 mins. YUM!
Leeky Mashed Potatoes
Mah dinner!
Todays fun and frivolity was brought to you using the letters Mo and Fo.

18 comments:

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

that sounds seriously rad, I used to love a good beef stew in my pregan days too!

by the way - I've tagged you to show off your freezer contents! check out what I'm rambling on about here....

http://alienontoast.blogspot.com/2008/10/vegan-mofo-leftover-lovelies.html

Anonymous said...

Meat(less)alicious!
And I was just about to tag you damn it!
'I'll get you next time Gadget.....' Mwahahahah *strokes Evil MAD Cat*.....

KZ said...

i am SO in the mood for a meal like this! so hearty.

Felicity said...

Yummers... did you make your own seitan? That whole meal looks great. I think I know what I'm going to do with the forlorn leeks in my fridge...

Karyn said...

looks terrific! you are doing so well on MoFo, I've already missed two days. eek!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

YUM!! I can see why that was one of your favorite dishes! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

eesh said...

Looks really good! What recipe did you use for your seitan?

You've been tagged :)

But I see you've already been tagged by someone but I also tagged you to show off your freezer contents. Can't wait to see what you've got stashed!

http://craftyveg.blogspot.com/2008/10/vegan-mofo-15-whats-in-my-vegan-freezer.html

Anonymous said...

This sounds so yummy! I love veganizing my childhood favorites!

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Ooh, I'm coming to eat at your house!

miss v said...

nice. it looks so good and like an 'official' dinner (i have those so rarely)!

Lily Girl said...

That looks so yummy! And freakishly meaty.

DJ said...

That looks lush - so much comfort-food floating about the blogoshpere just now - wonder why!!

Jes said...

What a great comfort food meal!

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for the tag sal.

Rabbit - hahaha - gutted!

felicity - I did make my own seitan. I used the one out of Vcon for a chage. I'd never made that one before. To be honest - this recipe would be better using baked Seitan and not boiled.

karyn - I work on a computer all day every day and MoFo'ing is a great reason to skive! LOL!

Eesh - thanks for the tag. I made the seitan recipe out of Vcon but I wouldn't do it again for Boff Bourgi-nom-nom. I would use baked seitan in future.

It is very meaty in texture and SOOOO comforting and yummy!
I actually curled up on the couch and purred after I ate this.

Thanks for all your lovely comments.

You guys ROCK!!

Aubade said...

Mmm that looks so good. I don't even like mushrooms but I still want to make it!!

Lillet Langtry said...

WOW I cannot wait to make that when the temperature drops!!!

Bethany said...

wow! that looks amazing. those potatoes look really easy to make, but definitely more interesting than regular mashed.

disabled account said...

"Todays fun and frivolity was brought to you using the letters Mo and Fo."....brilliant!