13/10/2008

Vegan MoFo day 13: Mediterranean Tomato Soup

I have been inspired by so many blogs that I'm gonna be busy in the kitchen for the next 6 months not to mention 10 pounds heavier by the end of it all ! There are so many great blogs out there, who knew? So MoFo scores yet another über point! I have seen some amazing soup recipes and photos in the last two weeks (2 Weeks!!) here are some of my favourite: Scotchless Broth Cravin Veggies Roasted Red Pepper Soup Pumpkin Lentil Soup Tomato Pumpkin Soup Leftover Mashed Potato Pumpkin Soup Chickpea & Herb Dumpling Soup Beet, Barley and Black Soybean Soup So is it any wonder I woke up craving soup this morning!! It's an old cliché but so true (aren't all clichés true?) that we eat food firstly with our eyes. I'm a sucker for contrasting colours and green and red do it for me every time PLUS I had the last of the harvest from my garden to use up as well. Look how little they are - sweeet.
And no, I don't have big hands - they really are little Peppers
So I wasn't going to fight all these things screaming "MAKE SOUP" at me and thusly this Soup was created - and in record making time too, well for me anyway. I served this with a Baguette/French Stick which was sliced in half and toasted and then drizzled with Olive Oil. Eating bread like this is a very typical Spanish Breakfast by the by, I had never seen or heard of it before I came to live here, but I implore you all to try it - you will be hooked. Mediterranean Tomato Soup serve 2 Ingredients 1 Tblsp Olive Oil Peppers, sliced (half red half green) 1 small Onion, sliced Half a Courgette (Zuchini), cubed 780g tinned Plum Tomatoes 2 Cloves of Garlic, peeled and sliced 1 tsp Smoked Paprika 2 tsp Salt 1 tsp Mixed Herbs Drops of Tabasco, depending how spicy you want it Method Heat the Olive Oil in a pan and add the Peppers, Courgette and Onions, saute for 10 minutes or so. Then add the tinned Tomatoes - juice an' all, you will want to squish up the Tomatoes for this - I find using a knife and fork the easiest, but do whatever works for you. Add the Garlic and Paprika and place a lid on the pan and cook for another 10 -15 minutes. Add the Salt and Herbs and simmer for 10 more mins. Check seasoning. Add a few drop of Tabasco, stir really well and serve.
I had this for lunch and then had it for dinner as well! It's soooo gooood. Today's song is White Man in Hammersmith Palais by The Clash - Played REALLY loud!

15 comments:

Karyn said...

I love soup! I was planning to make this week an epic week of soup, but suddenly it warmed up a little and soup was the last thing I wanted to eat! I had planned ribolleta, chili, French Onion Soup, minestrone, ochazuke and kasha-lentil-lemon soup. So sad!

Joanna said...

the leftover mashed potato pumpkin soup sounds really ummmm good? haha i don't know what to think of that one!

the peppers in my garden were really small, too! they look just like yours.

Anonymous said...

Now I feel very inspired by your soup! It's true, blooging is addictive and you never ever need to buy cookbooks again.

x said...

That soup sounds really good and I love the tiny little peppers!

A.M. said...

It looks so nice and comforting. :-)

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Yay! Soup!! and cooking to the Clash?? Seriously cool!

miss v said...

i myself have been feeling very soupy. these all look great!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Such cute little peppers! Your soup looks so awesome and very Mediterranean-y!
Thanks for the link to my soup! :)

Chelsea said...

Chunky tomato soup - oh yeah! I've never liked tomato soup because I have memories of the Campbell's kind mixed with milk (blech!) but I would eat yours up!

Anonymous said...

Those peppers are the cutest, ever! You soup sounds amazing - yeah for soup season!

jessy said...

your mediterranean soup looks wonderful! i love the idea of adding a little hot sauce in for a bit of a kick! mmmmmmmmmm! and you peppers are adorable! i love the colors!

...barbara... said...

soup, soup, soup, I love soup...
soup, soup, soup, I love your soup...

side note: red and green are my favorite colour combo...

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for all your comments.
*big grin*

urban vegan said...

Soup is the only thing I like about the chilly weather.

So many recipes. So little time. Sigh.

half pint pixie said...

OOoooh that looks good, me likes soup :)