12/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 12: Stew and Dumplings

You know when you leave comments on some blogs and you get a load of letters you have to type in to ensure you're not some spammer, well...have you ever noticed how some of them actually make words? Cool huh!
Anyhoo...I've had a real lazy day today, mainly spent reading blogs and leaving comments and generally just enjoying living my life through blog land, really sad to hear about Pumpkin I know how hard it is to lose such a beloved family member. Lots of love to Veggie Sue. Lazy days call for lazy food and for me that either involves leftovers or a one pot wonder. Well - I ate all the leftovers last night so out came the cauldron sized saucepan and Stew and Dumplings were born. This is a great winter warmer and once all the veggies are peeled and cubed - it's all pretty simple from there. Use what ever veg you have and the quantities are basically up to you – you can make as little or as much as you want.
This is what us Europeans use to make Dumplings. I have it on good authority that this is the same as Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening
Veggie Stew serves 4 Ingredients Potatoes Olive Oil Turnip Carrots Onions Leeks Swede (Rutabaga) Parsnips Garlic Bay Leaf Parsley Bisto Gravy Granules (Beef style Bouillion) Marmite ( even if you don’t like it, I have served this to people who say they hate the stuff yet they love this recipe ) Water or Stock Dumplings 5oz Flour 2 oz Veggie Suet 1/2 tsp Salt 1/2 tsp Mixed Herbs Water to bind so as the Dumplings form elasticy shaped balls
Method Boil the Potatoes, drain and set aside. Peel and chop all the veggies to whatever size you want. Put some Olive Oil in a big pan and add the Onions, fry gently for 5 mins then add the garlic and all the other veggies except the leeks and Potatoes. Cook for 15 mins stirring to make sure nothing sticks to the pan. Add the Leeks and cook for a few more minutes. Add water or stock, as much as you want, pop in the Bay Leaf, cover and simmer for half an hour on a low heat. Stir in the Gravy Granules to get the consistency you want, add a teaspoon of Marmite and the Potatoes and cook for another 10 mins stirring often. Season with Salt and Pepper and add the Parsley. Now to make the Dumplings. Place the Flour and Suet in a bowl, add the Salt and Herbs and mix up with a fork. Gradually add water stirring inbetween each addition, I used about a cup. You want a sticky dough like consistency that forms an elasticy shape (Wow! My Literature teacher would be impressed with that description!!). If it's too dry add more water and likewise, if it's too wet add more Flour.
There are five Dumplings but one sank before I got my camera, so inconsiderate!
Place the Dumplings on top, pop the lid on the pan and cook for 15 – 20 mins on a low heat. Serve! Don't move for the next two hours and fall asleep halfway through the boring film you were watching! Today's song shall be Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
This is stuck in my head quite a lot - it is my rescue song. You know when you try to get an annoying song out of your head so as you stop bursting forth with it whilst walking round the supermarket? Try this one - it works every time. Oh the power of The Floyd!

15 comments:

Leigh said...

Your dumplings look perfect! Yum!

laura said...

omg, i totally spent my formative years in my darkened bedroom listening to wish you were here over and over and over....

Caty said...

Your stew looks so comforting and the dumplings look yummy, I'll have to try them out as I always have suet left over from making christmas pudding.

Obi-Wan said...

I know! Sometimes they form a word relevant to what I'm thinking... twilight zone time!

This stew looks delicious Jeni! Those dumplings are dreamy! Look at the steam coming off that bowl!!

Megan said...

God, I love dumplings.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Holy comfort food!! Perfect post-snow-fight food... warming and delicious! Thank you so much for sharing this awesome recipe!

coldandsleepy said...

For me, the song that always gets other songs out is the Smurf theme. (It's basically the Peter and the Wolf theme done a bit faster.)

Your dumplings look incredible, and make me a little sad that I'm probably going to eat a tofurky sandwich or something for dinner.

Anonymous said...

The Power of Floyd, indeed! :)
Your stew sounds right up my alley...but I have to admit, that veggie lard stuff has me freaking out a little...

Little Pea said...

vegemite.... VEGEMITE!!!!

what is with this marmite crapola?!?!?!?!

VVVEEEGGGIIIMMMIIITTTEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

As a European, I had to look up what suet is. Seems like I've spent years in a hole. Your stew looks so comforting, I wanna jump right into it.

Lillet Langtry said...

Those look SO delicious!!!!!

Eric said...

Those dumplings look delicious! Thanks for your comment on my blog, its always appreciated!

I'm so jealous you live in Spain. I love Spain. I had family in Spain but they all moved to the Netherlands in the past year.

kimmykokonut said...

Suet? Sounds gross but interested because it's veggie. Is it pastey? Regardless, I love dumplings and now I need to keep my eye out for this suet stuff. I have some shortening, so maybe I'll try this on my day off. Mmm, I love soup in the fall!

Elin said...

Wow those look gorgeous and fluffy. I'd love to try it for myself but I haven't even seen vegetarian suet in Norwegian shops... maybe I should take a road trip to a Spanish supermarket :)

Jen Treehugger said...

leigh - thank you. they were yummy.

laura - you are cool!

caty - thank you. you must make dumplings. i command you - they are soooo yum.

alejandra - I KNOW!!! Weird huh!

megan - MAKE DUMPLINGS

*throws snowball at River*

coldandsleepy - that is a weird rescue song!! What do you use to get that song out of your head? LOL!

shellyfish - don't be freaked. It's all good. taste wise anyway. Dumplings are a treat and a once in a while food for me. But only because I'm a voluptuos vegan and mankind couldn't handle any more of my curves!

little pea *talk to the hand*

seitan - yeah. I probably should have put that it's a British thing but I'm sure they have this is Germany and other countries in Europe - haha.

Thanks lillet

Thanks for your comment Eric.
:)

Kim - suet is just a type of fat - like margarine. But it has more water added to it - it's what makes it perfect for dumplings. You want them light and fluffy.

E - if you want to do a package swap sometime in the near future - give me a holler!

So may lovely comments guys. You're all AWESOME!!

:)