11/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 11: Name My Balls

So, I had fully intended on making Pumpkin Soup today. The weather is perfect for soup making - raining, windy, grey la dee da dee da.
So I donned my apron and set to. Took my Pumpkin out the fridge...hmmmm...that looks a bit funny..... "Oh FFS!!!!" Half of it was clearly not well. Damn you supermarkets and your appalling quality produce you sell to unsuspecting customers in the guise of fruit and vegetables. I only bought it two days ago!! Weep not, I will just chop off the poorly bits and make something else. Hmmm....what uses 300g of Pumpkin and will feed two hungry bellies? I will make it up as I go along.....so I did. I don't know what to call these so if you have any suggestions let me know. Name My Balls makes 11 balls Ingredients 300g Pumpkin (LOL) peeled and cubed 6 Cloves Garlic, peeled but left whole 1 Tblsp Olive Oil Half a cup cooked Broccoli Small handful frozen Peas Pinch of Salt Freshly ground Black Pepper 8 Tblsp Gram Flour Method Place the Olive Oil in a roasting pan and toss in the Pumpkin and Garlic. Roast in a hot oven (200 degrees) for half an hour, tossing them over a few times throughout the cooking time. When done take them out of the oven and place in a bowl, mash together with a fork (you might have to use a knife to slice some of the smaller Cloves of Garlic up). Chop the cooked Broccoli into small pieces and add to the Pumpkin mix along with the frozen Peas. Season and stir well. Add Gram Flour a little at a time, mixing well after each addition. You want a consistency that comes together nicely but is still wet. Grease a muffin tray and place the mixture in little dollops in each muffin compartment. Bake in the oven (200 degrees) for 15 mins, turn over and bake for another 15 mins. Keep an eye on them that they don't burn. Now admittedly these didn't feed two hungry bellies - but they were perfect as an accompaniment to last nights left over Curry! HURRAH!
I missed reading everyone's blogs yesterday due to work (damn work!) but as I was up early this morning I thought I'd catch up. HOLY FREAKING SCHMOLEY!!! 319 blog entry's were waiting for me. 319!!! I had to break my reading up into bite sized chunks - a few here a few there, a drizzle here a sprinkling there. I LOVE reading everyone's blogs and I love discovering new blogs too so it wasn't really that tough a job and I can certainly think of worse ways to spend a rainy day. Today's laughter and larks was done to Death in Vegas - Aisha

15 comments:

Sheree' said...

They look like Pumpking veggie balls and darn good too!

Megan said...

Those look scrumptious!

Bethany said...

those balls look great. broccotini. ok, that would be a better name for a broccoli martini.

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! You're so creative :]

Anonymous said...

mmm... October has seriously had me craving some sort of pumpkin recipe but I'm definitely a savory girl...those look fantastic!! I think expletives always lead to the best recipes!

disabled account said...

hows-a-bout gourd-geous balls? heh? they look tastey too!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Poor nameless balls! :)
Hey, they don't need a name when the look like THAT! So delicious! Improvised food is the best!!

Anonymous said...

What a great way to make the best of a frustrating situation! And they sound so delicious - I bet they'd be good with pasta or with rice, too!

alaina said...

good lord those look tasty.

...barbara... said...

how about pumpoccoli balls....or brockin balls...
or balls of pumpkin goodness....perhaps brocpeapumpers....okay maybe not that one...
i have to stop now or i could go one forever....whatever you decide to name them they look mad awesome and are a must try....very creative :)

Anonymous said...

hmm how about, poctokin? hehe, combining pumpkinh and october? lol
And nope, that soup wasn't mushroom. It was corn:] I added seasoned salt that was orange, so it changed the color somewhat, haha

Anonymous said...

Name My Balls! That's so awesome,I lauged so hard... your balls look yummy :)

Little Pea said...

oo oo oo! How's about (you havent thought of this one!).. Wait for it!.... PUMPKIN BALLS!!

hehe

did you say 320 blogs to read?! or some other outrages number?! bloody hell... I'm glad I'm not you!

Lily Girl said...

Very clever save! How about Orangreen Balls (don't ask me how to actually pronounce that).

JohnP said...

I dunno what to call them, but they look/sound great! (And I have a lot of pumpkin right now.)