11/11/2008

I've Been Tagged

But first I want to rant. I say every day is a learning curve on my Vegan journey and that is no understatement. I must be one of the last Vegans on earth not to realise that milk powder is used in Bread!! WTF!! Isn't Bread just Flour, Yeast, Water, Salt......maybe Sugar..........definitely Nuts and Seeds if you're like me and like a nice Loaf that includes Sunflower Seeds, Oats, Flax, Mustard Seeds etc etc and take for granted that the one you buy from the supermarket is SO apparently healthy that surely it's not going to contain lots of nasties!!?? Right? Right? I was chatting to someone on facebook and they said how difficult it was to buy Vegan Bread and I was like "Oh I don't have a problem....I get this gorgeous Bread from my local supermarket and it's super yummmm" You could hear the penny drop.... I hadn't actually read the ingredients of this Bread since like forever because I stupidly took it for granted that it wouldn't contain animal products. I raced to the kitchen to check the ingredients and sure enough there is milk powder in it along with all sorts of other nasties. How can bread that looks SO healthy be actually full of so much shit??? Mr treehugger eats your standard British white Loaf, that I'm FOREVER moaning at him not to eat 'cos we all know white Bread isn't the greatest thing for you, and guess what? It actually ONLY contains Flour, Yeast, Salt, Vegetable Oil and Water - which is how Bread should be isn't it!! /rant So on to this here tagging........ Vegan Dance if you want to was the tagger and like the jolly good sport that I am, of course I'll play with you.
Rules: Link the person that tagged you and post the rules on your blog. Share 7 random and/or weird facts about yourself. Tag 7 random people at the end of your post and include links. Let each person know that they’ve been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
1. Lightning struck centimeters from where I was sat out in the garden one night - it actually melted the glass I was drinking out of. Ever since then I have had a weird reaction to electricty and the ions it emits - which plays all sorts of havoc in my every day life. I also live in fear of electric shocks. 2. Since the age of 14 I am convinced I was a passenger on the Titanic - I wasn't a survivor. 3. I have OCD and have been known to clean people's bathrooms before using them! I've even cleaned my local pubs bathroom!
4. I can take my socks off with my feet but haven't mastered the art of putting them on with my feet - I am woorking on that one. 5. When I'm drunk I dance.
6. Horses scare the beejaysus outta me but I have absolutely no idea why - it is a completely irrational fear. But I do LOVE horses before you all start sending me hate mail. I think they are majestic animals that command and deserve respect - so long as they're not too near me I don't have a problem with them.
7. I like swimming WAY out to sea and one time when I was swimming in the Med a few summers ago I got caught up in a Jelly Fish and the actions of me doing the front stroke made us both get tangled up in a situation we both would have liked to have avoided. Luckily he was not a bad stinger and no-one had to wee on me. And now I've told you all this I am going to have to kill you! LOL! But first I get to tag!! YAY! Guava and Rabbit have already been tagged otherwise they would have been on my hit list (I bet they've got some right wierd secrets!!) The same goes for Ginger and ladybug!! So.........I tag........ Grass | Dirt | Corn Half Pint Pixie La Vegan Loca Wing it Vegan Skint Vegan Thrifty Living and Down Home Vegan Spill your weird and wacky beans!!

16 comments:

Jenn said...

Lightning and jellyfish and you're afraid of horses?

Just in case you're out swimming with stingy things again and you ever need this fact, I hear that shaving cream gets out jellyfish stings. Squirt it on, then scrape it off with a blunt object. We always rubbed in meat tenderizer as kids...it's probably vegan, but I don't remember that it actually worked!

Thanks for playing!

Anonymous said...

Poor naive Hippy, my rule is: the healthier looking the bread-the more likely it is to have honey in it. You're safer with a nice bit of white! :o)
I'm struggling to come up with anything weird or random to post at the mo. Hmm...
Yours were entertaining though! >:o)

Anonymous said...

haha, amusing seven facts:D

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the disallusionment. I have always read the tags on everything because animal products are in so many random things! So is sugar, but I digress...
Loved reading your random details! That jellyfish story is crazy! And the lightening...you were very lucky.

jessy said...

that stinks on the animal products in the bread! i got sooo sick of having to read bread labels, so now we just make our own loaves of bread at home in the oven! i can't believe they put milk powder in there. ick!

what a great tag! that's too funny on your fear of horses. i have an irrational fear of rabid badgers! ahahahaa! never even seen a badger - and i'd like things to stay that way! eek!

DJ said...

I love finding weird shit out about people! Great answers! Btw, I only ever buy cheapo pikey white slice for exactly the reason you mentioned - the good stuff I bake myself!! And thanks for the tag!

Bethany said...

The bread thing makes no sense to me. I get so angry when I see a bread that I want and it is not vegan because of 1 ingredient. grrr.

I can deal w/ horses, but in the back of my mind, I'm just waiting for a kick in the head. I'm not around them that often, so I'm still kick free. Though my dog does kick me once in a while.

laura said...

the favorite crap thing to put in white bread around here is high fructose corn syrup. oh, and for some reason whole wheat breads almost always have honey in them. grrr. if you have a bakery around that does artisan and naturally leavened breads, they'll probably have some options, and much yummier ones at that!

Bex said...

that happens from time to time. Whenever I let my guard down I immediately make a mistake. I don't beat myself up over it. I just take it as a little reminder to be diligent about those ingredient lists. The bread thing drives me nuts because most of these basic breads have absolutely no need for milk. It's like they are trying to peez us off by slipping it in there.

disabled account said...

i saw my tag from jenn today and i'm still thinking of what i'm going to post. your stuff is great! that's a lot of good info jeni, wow! i wouldn't blame you for killing me, haha! too bad i know you won't because you're a vegan and that wouldn't be to compassionate. ;)

i have a habit of reading the ingredients on things i even normally eat because some companies often change their recipes and add nasty bits a lot. i wish you could get ezekiel bread there, it's yummalicious and i think you'd love it. if you can get wonderbread, it's terrible for you, but it is at least vegan.

Joanna said...

jeni, my bathroom is a mess!!!! please come and clean it haha

and i love how you mention peeing on a jellyfish burn. i hope i get to do that some day.

For the Love of Guava said...

damn... I'm stuck at work not able to check my loaf of bread... and I knew it!! I knew it!! You all want to know my weird secrets! :) (hehe... I was planning on tagging YOU... fail... too slow... )

Felicity said...

That lightning thing is very weird. Our bathroom needs redecorating... does your OCD extend to that? lol!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Hey!! I was looking the other way and the next thing I know, I had been tagged! YAY!! I will post my stuff today, my post will be so boring compared to your lightning and jelly fish stories! Plus, I don't think I can take off my socks with my feet! :P

Little Pea said...

You didnt know about bread??? even *I* knew about bread!
There was gelatin in my yogurt the other day... lucky i read it out of curiosity the other day... I always read labels of things, cos i know everythings nasty

hehe todays word is fusnered

Jen Treehugger said...

Yeah - the Bread has been a huge wake up call for me. I'm still relatively new to all this veganism (March this year was my awakening)and each day really is a learning curve.
I'm definitely looking into getting a Bread machine (which actually translates as I've dropped BIG hints to Mr treehugger).
DJ - pikey Bread is just too funny!!