09/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 9: Indian Nosh

So many awesome MoFo recipes have caught my eye and been bookmarked for future reference but when I saw this Aubergine Tikka recipe from The Stripey Cat I knew what the fate of the Aubergines awaiting me in my fridge was. 
Believe the stripey one when she says "it's delicious, do plenty!" because IT IS!
The Korma Sauce was actually a Balti sauce out of a jar with some coconut milk added and the onion bhajis are from Iceland because they are vegan and they are AMAZING!
Onion rice is peasy poo to make and so is sag aloo.

Onion Rice
serves 3

Ingredients
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion sliced thinly
3 cardamom
1 star anise
1 bay leaf
half a cup frozen peas
3 cups of cooked rice
salt

Method
Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the sliced onion, cardamom, star anise and bay leaf. Cook on med high for 10 mins stirring quite regularly. You want the onion to have quite a few caramelly crispy bits. Add the frozen peas and then the rice and heat through for 5 mins or so. Add salt to taste.

Sag Aloo
serves 6 as an accompaniment

Ingredients
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
1 teaspoon mustard seeds
1 teaspoon black onion seeds
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Tablespoon ish fresh ginger, diced
1 medium onion sliced thinly
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of asafoetida
300 grams fresh spinach 
10 boiled new potatoes cut to bite size pieces

Heat the oil in a big pan, add the mustard seeds and onion seeds and cook for 1 minute (pop the lid on here 'cos they'll be popping away like troopers and a hot seed in the eye is never a good look). Add the garlic and ginger and cook through for a few mins then add the onion and cook on medium for 5 mins or so. add the turmeric, garam masala, chili powder, salt and asafoetida and mix up really well. Add the potatoes and coat them all in the spicey mixture then add the spinach a handful at a time stirring well after each addition. Turn the heat down low, place the lid on and cook for 10 mins stirring every now and then.

SCOFF!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to try that onion rice!

kmouse said...

I love indian food. That plate looks awesome!

Sarah S. said...

what an amazing feast!!

Not A Rabbit said...

Looks amazing!

Korma = Nom!

I'm going to need a peshwari naan to mop up all the korma sauce.....

miss v said...

i've got some potatoes laying around - and might throw in some peas as well. i second the korma=yum comment!

Vic Robinson said...

Looks great!

panda with cookie said...

That is a fine looking plate of food.

Anonymous said...

love this indian plate yummers:)
The photo looks good and very inviting.

Rose said...

I love the sound of the wild onion rice....I had my eye on StripeyCat's aubergine tikka too...I really have to try it. That looks like one delicious plate of food!

Kiri and Carla said...

OMG looks (and sounds) soo yummy! would have to give it a try! :D

jessy said...

i wish i had that plate o' awesome right now, Jeni! it's been too damn long since i've had indian eats and i want them NOW!

p.s. - your potato stuffed lentil loaf over on River's blog = the awesome! i couldn't believe i had forgotten all about it. totally printed your recipe off. thank so much!

MeloMeals said...

That looks sooo good!

jd said...

Indian food makes me cry with joy, and after looking at your pic, I see Kleenex in my future :)

Anonymous said...

Now that is my kind of meal!!! I saw that over at stripy cat, too. I could eat Indian cuisine just about every day and would not get sick of eet!

Andrea said...

I shouldn't read mofo posts when I'm hungry. Now all I want is onion rice and sag aloo.

Just Us said...

My goodness what a great looking plate! Sounds yummy!

Millie said...

nice blog.

Claryn said...

I wish I were in your kitchen right now! I'll have to try your saag aloo recipe soon.

Michelle said...

Yummmm!! I love Indian food, but don't have it very often, since the boyfriend isn't into it. I must work to change that!

Felicity said...

And you didn't invite me to this fabulous meal because...??

Jen Treehugger said...

Awww Felicity, you can bet your bottom dollar that if you lived in my neighbourhood you'd be invited round ALL the time and not just because you'd have to return the favour! Ha ha.xx

Anonymous said...

I was already craving Indian food today and reading this post has only amplified that. The korma looks incredible.

River said...

Yummmmy! And to think I used to be afraid of Indian food because I'm a heat wimp! You've been sharing some super awesome recipes, Jeni! Yay!

jodye @ 'scend food said...

Ahh Indian food never fails.. it's probably my favorite kind of food, actually. Whenever I go out for Indian food I get Baingan Bharta

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That looks so frickin' fantastic!