10/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 10: Moussaka ka ka ka


Moussaka is quite a time consuming dish and is probably why we don't have it that often round these parts but we are all truly grateful when it does make an appearance. Drizzling the courgette and aubergine slices in oil and then baking in the oven is the easiest way to do it though I used to fry them all up and that did take an even looooonger time.

Vegan Mousakka
Serves 6

Ingredients
2 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Aubergine (Eggplant)
3 Courgettes (Zucchini
)

For Tomato Sauce:
This makes enough for two dishes, I usually freeze the other half.
1 Tbsp Olive Oil
1 Large Onion, diced
2 Cloves of Garlic, crushed
1 Large Carrot, scraped and diced
1 Celery stick, diced
2 x 400g Canned Tomatoes
5 fl oz Red Wine or Vegetable Stock
1 bay Leaf
Tbsp Fresh Basil, diced
1 tsp Dried Oregano
Salt
Freshly Ground Black Pepper

For the Bechemal Sauce:
1 Tbsp Corn Flour
25g Vegan Margarine (or olive oil)
1 Litre unsweetened Soya Milk
Quarter of an onion
Quarter of a carrot
Bunch Fresh Thyme
4 Black Peppercorns
Fresh Grated Nutmeg


2 Slices Nutty Wholemeal Bread
1 tomato sliced

Method
Wash and thinly slice the aubergine and courgette. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp olive oil over 2 baking sheets. Place eggplant and zuchini on baking sheets, turning them over so as they are covered in the oil on each side. Bake in a hot oven for 30 mins turning once. Set aside to cool.
In a pan add 1 Tbsp olive oil and fry the carrot, celery and onion for 10 mins stirring regularly.
Add the garlic, tomatoes, red wine (or stock), Basil, Oregano and Bay Leaf and cook on a gentle heat for 20 mins. Take out the Bay Leaf and whizz with a hand mixer. Set aside half of the amount for another time, you only need half for this recipe.
In an oblong baking dish place a layer of aubergine, then a layer of sauce, then a layer of courgette then another layer of sauce then a layer of aubergine. Cover this in another layer of sauce then finish off with
whatever you have left which is usually half aubergine and half courgette.
Now to make the bechamel sauce.
Place the corn flour in a bowl and with a little milk taken from the litre mix into a paste. Heat the remaining milk in a pan stirring regularly so as it doesn't burn. Just before boiling point pour into the bowl with the corn flour mixture in and KEEP STIRRING.
Place all of that back into the milk pan and stir constantly for 2 mins. Lower the heat. Add the onion quarter, carrot quarter, bay leaf, peppercrons, cloves, thyme.
Keep sirring on a low heat for 5 mins. Strain through a sieve, grate in some nutmeg and pour over the moussaka.
Whiz up the bread to make breadcrumbs and sprinkle on the top of everything. You might like to dot the breadcrumbs with some vegan margarine then layer the sliced tomato on top.
Cook in an oven set to 200 degrees for 10 mins then cover the top with some aluminium foil.
Cook for another 25 mins.
Serve with a crisp green salad.
Enjoy!!



26 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is post like these that make me realize I should read blogs at lunch time! I want it!

panda with cookie said...

I'm on my way for leftovers!

jessy said...

that's totally why we've never made moussaka before, Jeni - because it seems crazy intensive and i'm kinda lazy. but i think you've changed my mind. your moussaka looks amazing and i'm thinking that we're gonna have to go the long haul and make it happen. it looks sooooo worth it! mmmmmmm!

Michelle said...

Ohhh Moussaka...LOVE. Yours looks amazing!

N said...

Oh wow, I've never had moussaka before but these pictures make me wanna try it!

aimee said...

This looks delicious, Jeni. Muchos Gracias!
xo
Aimee

Vic Robinson said...

wow. this looks very nice and elegant!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks so delicious, I love moussaka & I'm definitely going to be trying your recipe.

Allyson said...

wow, that looks killer good!

Anonymous said...

That is one beautiful moussaka! Wow!

Andrea said...

Your moussaka sure looks tempting. I've got to start planning more dinner parties so I have a good excuse to make all the fabulous mofo recipes.

miss v said...

is blog title supposed to be a reference to disturb's the sickness? cause that's all i can get in my head and it's totally cracking me up.

Joelle {Island Homemaker} said...

Looks amazing! Yum! I love eggplant. Er, aubergine. Whatever you call it. :)

wingraclaire said...

I LOVE that dish; thanks for the inspiration! I think I'll have to wait for a day when I'm not at work to make it though.

River said...

Holy moussaka! That thing looks amazing! So much work, but so worth it!

Lisa Viger said...

wow, that's gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Moussaka! As fun to eat as it is to say! It is a lot of work, but man is it worth it! I'm going to have to make some again, soon!

Anonymous said...

Yum. That looks great!!!

Kiri and Carla said...

aawwwmm, so many tasty recipes for me to try! :_) thanks for posting it! Yeap, there's a Loving hut really close to my house! if you happen to come to Valencia let me know and we can go and have a meal together!! :) Un fuerte abrazo ***

Felicity said...

Nom! That looks fab.

Jenny said...

I've also never made or eaten mousakka. I really need to branch out!

Anonymous said...

Aie...very very good Jeni. I love this dish and I do not make it too often your plating is very pretty. It is some work this dish but it is worth it. Love it

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Beautiful!

Eve Love said...

I'm drooling all over your blog...

dreaminitvegan said...

This is a perfect looking Moussaka. I really need to try my hand at making this.

MeloMeals said...

that looks awesome.