19/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 19: Cauliflower Uncheese

Not a very pretty picture I'm afraid but the taste was all there and packing some let me tell you. 
I steamed some cauliflower then I made up this recipe - Averie's "Spicy Doritos" Cheezy Dip which is AWESOME on it's own but I wanted to make it a bit more saucier for my cauliflower. So I made a béchamal sauce by heating a good dollop of marge in a pan, added a heaping Tablespoon of flour then added enough unsweetened soya milk until I got the right consistency that I wanted. All this was done whilst whisking like a loon.
I like a thick béchamal sauce so I probably only added about half a pint of milk.
Then I added 3 good dollops of Averie's Spicy Doritos Cheezy Dip, a teaspoon of Colman's Mustard then a good half cup of nooch.
Poured this over my cauliflower and baked in a medium hot oven for 25 minutes. 
This recipe was FANTASTIC! If you loved a cheesey cauliflower cheese in you BV (Before Vegan) days then you will love this recipe.

14 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh wow, I love cauliflower cheese!

panda with cookie said...

I think that picture looks fantastic. Baked perfectly on top and just browning.

panda with cookie said...

I think that picture looks fantastic. Baked perfectly on top and just browning.

Vic Robinson said...

I have really been trying to experiment more with cauliflower recently! This might be the ticket!

OMG Veg! said...

Oh maaaaan, that sounds amazing! I cannot wait to try this. And this picture is perfect - that cheezy crust says it all.

Jessica said...

I have only had cauliflower cheese once because it's not very common where I live. Actually I had it at a guest house in England and I scoffed at making a meal out of cauliflower (plus they made fun of my pronunciation), but it was delicious! I'll have to try your/Averie's version. Yum!

Andrea said...

This is on my list of things I've GOT to make. Soon. And I think the picture looks good!

wingraclaire said...

Oh, does that look delicious! And I did love cheesey stuff, although I probably can't remember what it tastes like anymore, so I'd be easy to please :)

Anonymous said...

This looks like a crazy cheese party woman! That picture looks great, and now I'm hungry!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

holy crap on a cracker, that looks awesome!

celyn said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I can also heartily recommend Cupcake Kitteh's cauliflower cheeze.

celyn said...

Yummy, yummy, yummy! I can also heartily recommend Cupcake Kitteh's cauliflower cheeze.

Jenny said...

I actually think it DOES look pretty. Anything with cheezy dip melted on top looks pretty to me.

Luciana said...

It's funny, I never liked cheese on veggies before I went vegan, but now I love vegan cheese sauces on veggies! This looks amazing!