05/03/2010

Mini savoury pies

There's something about eating mini foods that really excites me. I'm not sure what it is - whether it's because I can pretend I'm a giant or whether it is something more deep and profound that my therapist would compare to my inner child - similar to my excitement at glitter and stickers. I'm not sure and I don't care. Eating mini food= fun! These pies were assembled in a muffin pan using store bought puff pastry. To make 6 pies I used 200 grams of pastry. This particular filling is mince and potato but you could use anything you fancy. These involved frying some onion and garlic, adding some diced potato and carrot and reconstituted TVP and cooking in some stock for 20 mins then thickening it all up with some Bisto gravy granules.
Delish!
I am going to experiment with other fillings so be sure to check back for recipes. These are ideal for parties and picnics and just generally having on hand when you fancy a nibble.
GO VEGAN!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum yum, I like pie :) Mini edibles are definitely fun but a big one of these cut into slices would be good too. Nice and simple.

vegan.in.brighton said...

Awesome, tiny food rocks! That sounds totally delicious too.

Anonymous said...

I agree that mini food is awesome! Your pies sound delicious!

Andrea said...

My kind of pie! The smaller they are, the more you can eat. (in theory, anyway) :)

kmouse said...

amazing!!

Bianca said...

Everything tastes better in mini-versions! And I get equally excited about glitter and stickers! And kittens! And rainbows!

For the Love of Guava said...

well my inner vegan, inner child, and inner mini savoury pie monster all think that those look delicious... which is good...

gets confusing when we're not all on the same page.

radioactivegan said...

that mini-pie is so cute. I love the idea, and might have to try it myself soon. Glitter and stickers are great, and just yesterday I got a pretty sweet planet earth coloring book at Big Lots. A few hours coloring is time well spent, I say.

River - The Crafty Kook said...

Mini foods are fun! I have a thing for them too. Mini foods with a pie crust are even better because you get a higher crust-per-bite ratio! :D

wingraclaire said...

Those are soooooo cute. I'll bet they make great party finger-food!

Bethany said...

that is such a cute pie! mini pies are better because you get more crust per square inch. at least that is my husband's theory.

Felicity said...

mini food rawks. I sooo love the idea of making them in muffin tins AND using store bought puff pastry (but maybe that's just because I'm hopeless at pastry).