10/01/2009

Thrifty Living Soup and Bread Pudding

It's no secret that I am a complete Soup addict. I will gladly and happily eat Soup for breakfast, lunch and tea (and I often do). It has to be my most favourite food in the whole world and the fact that it is cheap, easy and healthy, not to mention extremely versatile, are all added bonuses.
I am always looking out for new Soup recipes to try and Felicity over at Thrifty Living totally tempted me with her Black Bean and Sweetcorn creation. The best bit about making this Soup (apart from eating it of course) was toasting and grinding the Cumin Seeds. The aroma that those bad boys gave off when being ground was just out of this world. I can see toasting and grinding Cumin Seeds is going to be a regular occurrence in the treehugger household. I pretty much stuck to the recipe as well except I didn't have Black Beans so I subbed them for half of Kidney Beans and half of Pinto. Also, I added extra Lentils and used the whole tin of Tomatoes because I'm planning on eating this Soup for the next two days so a HUGE pot of the stuff was in order. Because I used extra Lentils I also had to add more vegetable stock otherwise I would have had a more stew like consistency, which wouldn't have been a problem but by adding more stock I got more Soup!! Genius! And just to tempt you with a little teaser, here's some Bread Pudding I made but which you'll have to wait for the recipe for as it needs me to be a better recipe creator and actually write down exact measurements of things. And that's not just an excuse to make it again......or is it??!!
Go on, bite me!

23 comments:

Carrie said...

That soup looks amazing!!

I've never had bread pudding...it looks delicious though.

Felicity said...

So glad you liked the soup! The toasted cumin seeds are great in bean burritos as well. You should definitely write a vegan soup cookbook... and I insist on being one of your recipe testers :D

That bread pudding looks deelish. Puhleaze can you make it again soon and write down the recipe!

DJ said...

OMG - if you've managed to come up with a good recipe for vegan bread pudding - only my second favourite dessert in the whole wide world after tiramisu - then I'm leaving Rupert and the kids for you!!!

Jenn said...

Your soup and bread pudding look delicious.

Happy New Year!

aredcardigan said...

omg i'll def bite into that yums looking bread puds!

wwowowowowow!

thedalyn said...

England sounds like a lot more fun than a long drive through the deserts of the West, but it was fun. Happy New Year to you as well, though, with that soup, it looks like your year is better than happy.

Anonymous said...

That soup looks so good - I am also a huge fan of soup.
And a late happy birthday to Mr. Treehugger! How cool is that?

half pint pixie said...

Share the bread pudding recipe now.... I command it!

And soups rocks, I too would happily and heartily scoff it morning, noon & night :)

Anonymous said...

oh my my my, I will MOTS DEFINITELY take a bite outtas that bread puddinG! yumm yumm!

kmouse said...

Oh my gosh, bread pudding!!!! I want!

disabled account said...

aaahhhhh.....i also love soup! there really is nothing to not like about it, come on! you get the yummy broth you can either dip bread in or add crackers to. i love making a vegetable soup or a seitan stew and serving it over mashed potatoes so i can eat them both at once. it's a love affair, really.

also, can't wait for the bread pudding recipe, but just a reminder...i'm still waiting for that cheese recipe from veganmofo.

Jen Treehugger said...

Crikey - you hungry lot!
I will make the Bread Pudding in the next few days I promise.
And Ginger - I need to experiment with the Cheez before I release the recipe. I wasn't totally happy with it.
So good to "see" you guys.
xxxx

Anonymous said...

While I am a soup addict myself, I want to bite into that bread pudding so bad!

kelly g. said...

Go on, bite me!

nom nom nom!

jessy said...

ohhhhhhhhhhhh! the soup looks amazing! we only have ground cumin, i think i'm gonna have to pick up some cumin seeds - they sound awesome! isn't soup the best?! i love it soooo much! cheap 'n healthy and yummy, indeed! what's not to love?!

i'm gonna have to check back pretty much every couple of hours for your bread pudding recipe. i haven't had bread pudding in forever - and yours has me drooling on to my keyboard! oh my gosh - YUMMMM!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Let's create a Soup Fanatics Club! You will be the president... no wait, no presidents, you will be the Queen! Oh yes, and when a new member joins the club, they will be knighted by you as you whack them on the head with a dinner roll. You gotta have dinner rolls at the Soup Fanatics Club!

Sorry, it's late, my brain is a bit insane! :)

Chelsea said...

I've never had bread pudding, but it looks really tasty!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

MMM I'm totally jealous of your soup. I just had a can of soup for lunch as I was too lazy to make a pot yesterday and it was rubbash!

For the Love of Guava said...

**Chomps Down**

oh you meant the bread... :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Hee hee hee - naughty Guava!

Sal - I have done the same as you a million times and it annoys me. Hence why I make a HUUUUUGE pot of Soup about twice a week. Plus I just love making Soup - it makes me feel all witchy.

*cackle cackle*

Jessy - definitely try the toasted Cumin - the smell is just outta this world. But you'll have to wait a bit longer for the Bread Pud recipe I'm afraid, gotta wait for the Bread to go stale and Mr treehugger keeps eating it. Does the man not realise!!!

River - insane in the membrane, know that feeling.

Tracy said...

This looks so yummy! I adore grinding cumin, I am sure it is delicious. I can't wait for your bread pudding recipe. That is something I have never had and it looks really good. :c) Write it down, lady! hehe

Bethany said...

yummy soup! I have a huge slop pot of it in the fridge. I think I'm going to freeze some of it so I can benefit later.

ooh! bread pudding. I love it!

Anonymous said...

I too love soup. I could live off soup and brownies for ever. But probably not brownie soup.