12/01/2009

Pay it Forward and Cornish Pasties

GAH!
I knew there was something I'd forgotten. My apologies to everyone who entered and who have been waiting patiently with baited breath for the results and thanks to Guava for reminding me. Now...drum roll please....... The lucky three people who will be receiving a gorgeous home made gift from yours truly are: Georgia DJ Ginger YAY! Congratulations guys. Email me your addresses and I'll make sure to pop a little something in the post for you all within the next 365 days and go Pay it Forward yourselves. Now onto food...... I had a load of casserole/stew leftover that we had for dinner last night, and whilst eating it Mr treehugger declared how it would make nice Pasties. Not being one to disapoint, Pasties is exactly what the man got for dinner tonight. This a GREAT way to use up leftovers and they are so versatile and easy. Shortcrust Pastry Makes enough for 3 Pasties. You could make them smaller, but why would you want too!!!?? Ingredients 8 ounces Flour 4 ounces Marg pinch of Salt 6 Tablespoons ice cold Water Method Sift the Flour into a big mixing bowl, add a pinch of Salt and the Margarine. Using your fingers and thumb, rub the Margarine into the Flour until it resembles Bread Crumbs. Add the ice cold Water and gather the dough into a ball. Roll round a clean surface for a few minutes (DO NOT KNEAD) until it is all smooth. Set aside until ready. When ready, lightly Flour a clean surface and roll out the Pastry. Take a small plate, place on top of the Pastry and score round the edge with a knife. Gently lift up the cut out piece of Pastry and place on a lightly oiled baking tray. Gather up the remaining Pastry and repeat until you have as many cut outs as you can get. To make the Pasty Spoon filling of choice on one half of your cut out Pastry and lightly water round the edges. Fold over one half of the Pastry and press along the edge with your thumb, crimping the edges tightly together. Brush with Olive Oil and bake in a hot oven (200 degrees) for 50 mins. YUM!
(sorry about the poor quality of the photo - I am having issues with my lovely new camera and I'm not sure on the exact settings I need to take good pictures in my darkened kitchen at night - which is when we always eat)

27 comments:

Carla said...

I love Pasties! I have been known to make them with all sorts of fillings - green vegetables and tahini sauce, your standard seitan / tvp stew, a mashed potato,"cheese" and onion, as well as stewed fruit! Yum

disabled account said...

ooooh, this look so good!

thanks for randomly picking me to pay it forward! i can't wait for my surprise to come sometime over the next year! yay!!!!

aredcardigan said...

I've always wanted to try cornish pasties...I've also always wanted to go to cornwall.

Too bad I suck at anything pastry - baking in general.

Yours look divine:)

Anonymous said...

Yay for pasties! You can fill 'em with just about anything, they rock!
Todays word is 'snale' which I know you love (even though Word Verification can't spell!).
The photo looks fine to me buddy, good enough to eat! It's great to see some pictures again after 'toilet gate'! >:o)
*Hugs a Hippy*

DJ said...

Pasties - so BUTCH, rrrroarrr!
Being from the North, I love a pie or pasty at any time and these look ACE! And thanks for paying it forward to me! Now I'm 'cited!

Tami said...

Oooh, Pasties! What fun! Thank you for the recipe!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Congratulations, lucky Ladies!

Pasties!! I love pasties, the pastry looks so crispy!

Huh, my word verification is "palties".

Marni said...

You really caught my attention with talk of pasties. Here, pasties are little sticker thingies strippers put over their nipples (often with glitter) to avoid issues with the local police officers with regard to indecency laws. (You know, cuz boobies are okay, but don't you dare show any nipple!) LOL Your pasties sound much more tasty. ;)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

YUM PASTIES!! they look awesome.

I don't know what settings you have on your camera but my kitchen is dark too so I set it to soft flash (full flash is just too strong) and I set the focus to Macro as it takes clearer pics up close.

Anonymous said...

ooo yummy!

Felicity said...

yumm, pasties. Hand food rocks.

half pint pixie said...

I love pasties (LOL at marni's pasties!) :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Marni that's just too funny!!
You learn something new every day!
I'm now gonna go shake mah pasties

*giggles*

Sal - I'm loving my macro setting - just need to spend more time and figure out all that aperture setting stuff. In other words - I need to play with my camera!!
YAY!

River and rabbit - you sure do know what makes me smile. I just LOVE that word verification.
Toilet gate - lol!

Red - Cornwall is a truly beautiful place, I hope you make it there some day. And you should so give these Pasties a try - the Pastry is soooo easy. Trust me.
;)

Pasty - Pastry.....hmmm....bet that's not a coincidence neever!

thedalyn said...

I'm with Marni. I thought there was something a lot kinkier going on over here...

Carrie said...

Mmm...everything tastes better when encased in dough.

For the Love of Guava said...

Hey I was just going to do a leftovers in pastries post you little pilfer monkey! :) How is it that we're so far apart and still manage to be a similar dinner schedule?? I guess that's what you call a cosmic vegan connection friend!:)

Oh... and sorry to shamelessly plug good thing I know you love me and will forgive me (but I'm afraid I won't have anyone to pick from!!) if anyone wanted to do PIF and didn't get picked by Treehugger come play with me!!! :)

Bethany said...

they look really great and they are making me hungry!

I have been sucking down empanadas from the freezer like crazy. now they are all gone. bummer. time to make more.

Jen Treehugger said...

Guava what can I say?
We are like two Peas in a pod.
:)
And you plug away girl!

Empanadas Bethany!!!
YUM!

Anonymous said...

I love pasties! I was just thinking about making some soon with all this cold weather!
And don't worry, I didn't forget your PIFFiy present - now that the holidays are over I can start concentrating on stuff!

Anonymous said...

Yum, pasties! Send some over.

Leslie Richman said...

I never thought of reusing leftovers this way. Thanks for the idea. I love the calzone recipe in Please Don't Feed The Bears cookzine and it would make a great pastry for filling with leftovers.

Amanda said...

Yum!! Now I get what "pasties" are..duh, me! We did something similar with our Thanksgiving leftovers a few years ago. I'm glad you had a nice holiday break too! It's fun to stock up on vegan goodies ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great idea for leftovers. I always have leftovers and the last bit is always too boring, thanks for the idea to kick it up a notch!

kmouse said...

Mmm, pasties. Yes!

Black Amy said...

Never had a pasty in my life... I should really try it soon!!!

And happy new year to you, too!

...barbara... said...

ooo...pastries, pastries and more pastries...
i can't get enough....
i have my filo pastry unthawing as i type :)

miss v said...

thanks for the recipe. i always have good 'filling' leftovers hanging around. this is a fabulous idea to use them up.