19/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 19: Sweet Potato Rösti and Mediterranean Vegetable Crumble

Sweet Potato Rösti and Mediterranean Vegetable Crumble
Mr treehugger LOVES these Röstis, and I don't make them often enough in his opinion. Actually that's true - I don't make them often enough as they are ridiculously easy to do. If you have weak wrists then get someone to help you here as there is a LOT of squeezing involved, I find it very good therapy especially when imagining it is the necks of people that have annoyed me recently.......Mwah ahhh ahhhh! Sweet Potato Rösti makes 6 Ingredients 1 Potato, peeled and grated 1 Sweet Potato, peeled and grated Few slithers of Onion Salt Pepper Place both the grated Potato and Sweet Potato in the centre of a clean tea cloth and, over the sink, squeeze all the liquid out. This will take a bit of effort as just when you think you've squeezed as much as you can - squeeze again and there'll be more. Once squeezed, place in a bowl and add the Onion, Salt and pepper. Toss everything up with a fork. Heat a skillet pan and add a drizzle of Oil. Use your hands to scoop up a load of the Potato mix and place on the skillet. With the back of a fish slice (really...is there another word for this utensil?) flatten the Potato mix down into the pan. Add as many as you can without over crowding the pan. Cook for 2 mins on quite a high heat. Flip the Rösti over and cook on medium heat for 5-8 mins. Flip over again, pat the sides to form a roundish shape and cook on low for 8 ish mins. You'll probably need to flip over again but you'll know when they are ready - they will be golden brown in colour with a few black areas. Serve! These are DELICIOUS!
I served these with a new creation that I just made up as I went along. Mediterranean Vegetable Crumble serves 2 Ingredients 2 Tblsp Olive Oil 1/2 Aubergine, cubed 1 Roasted Red Pepper (I used tinned) 4 Mushrooms 1/2 Courgette, peeled and cubed Half a small Onion, sliced 3 Cloves garlic, sliced 8 Pitted Black Olives, quartered 1 cup Tomato Sauce Sprig Fresh Rosemary Salt Pepper 4 slices whole, nutty, seedy Bread Heat the Olive Oil in a pan and fry the Aubergine for 10 mins - stirring regularly. Add the Peppers and cook for a few minutes before adding the Mushrooms and Courgettes. Cook everything together for 5 mins then add the Onion, Olives and Garlic. Cook for a few more minutes. Add the Tomato Sauce and place a lid on the pan, turn the heat down low and simmer for 10 mins. Add the Rosemary and season to taste - I find this needs quite a bit of Salt. Leave to cool then place in an oven proof dish. Heat the oven to 200 degrees. Blitz the Bread in a food blender so as they are reduced to Bread Crumbs and sprinkle over the top of the Vegetables. Place in the oven and cook for half an hour - make sure the Bread Crumbs don't burn - that would be a disaster. I have to cover mine after a few minutes - you all know about my oven by now, right? If you want - you can drizzle Oil over the Bread Crumbs before putting in the oven, but I am trying to watch my weight!!
HUZZAH!!!
This is really tasty and yummy and the combo of the rich Tomatoey Vegetables with the crunchy, nutty, toasted, seediness of the Bread Crumbs is just a delight to the senses.
Todays song is Animal Nitrate by Suede!! Brit Pop's finest hour, though the name's not very Vegan - I will forgive their oversight!! Brett Anderson...I SO would........

21 comments:

disabled account said...

you must be the greatest cook, really! all of this stuff you make up just looks and sounds so delicious that i can't stand it!

what's a fish slice though? i've never heard of a utensil by that name. is it a type of spatula?

jessy said...

my gosh, Jeni! the röstis - that veggie crumble! mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! it all looks so super stellar! i want to put it all in my face right NOW! hoooooooooooray!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Your posts are always so much fun to read!!
The sweet potato rösti looks so awesome, the best recipes are the ones with the fewest ingredients!
That crumble looks beyond good!!

Sheree' said...

OH my goodness does that Sweet Potato Rosit look good! I am going to have to make these. :o)

sp said...

The crumble looks wonderful. I'm going to try this one. I tried Rosti once, but I don't think I squeezed enough liquid out and it didn't really turn out. I'll give it another try though and see if it works for me.
Thanks for stopping by at whoville.

Lindsay I-F said...

http://cookingforaveganlover.blogspot.com/2008/10/care-package-swap.html


swap update!~

A.M. said...

Both dishes look wonderful!

VeganView said...

I did not know you had this blog as well! How awesome. I love it! That crumble looks soooo good!

Anonymous said...

I've never hear of a "fish slice" before! I'd guess it's like a spatula? You could call it a tofu slice or something.

Anyway, both dishes look wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Yummm... I'm going to have to make sweet potato rösti today.

For the Love of Guava said...

Jen I failed at your pumpkin balls... yours looked so good... mine not so much... but I'm giving these rosti's a try! YUM!

For the Love of Guava said...

haha.. you must have been leaving me a comment at the exact same time... I know you want to do my survey... nudge nudge... :)

aTxVegn said...

I didn't really know anything about rostis until I read this post but they sound like the cutest little potato pancakes. And you write recipes very nicely!

I chop for therapy, but squeezing will work too.

Jen Treehugger said...

Thnks guys.
:)

SP - they takes some squeezings so they do.

baliwhat - yeah I guess spatula is another word but that means a different tool to me - something you would use to scrape round the sides of a bowl.
CONFUSION!!
I'm gonna call it a tofu slice anyhoo....much better.
:)

Guava - Pumpkin Balls - FAIL
me doing the survey - SCORE!!
Haha - you know I'm a sucker for a survey.

atxvegan - yeah chopping's good for me too.

I want to apologise for the lack of inside shot of the Mediterranean Crumble - it really wasn't very pretty and my crappy camera just wouldn't have helped matters.
But it tastes outta this world and we all know that's what matters.
:)

Little Pea said...

My grandmother's swiss and she makes the best Röstis! But she uses slices of potato, not grated. Maybe try that??

and that crumble.......

Bex said...

both of these look really good, I've never made rösti before, I didn't know what they were until just now.

Elin said...

I am SO making the rösti, they look divine. Thank you Jeni, getting so many great ideas from your blog :)

Bethany said...

It all looks delish.

I'm w/ Bali on spatula. we use that term freely in the US for both the flipping as well as bowl scraper. I've once heard it called a pancake turner - almost as limited a name as fish slice I guess. Limited in the sense that it's very specific.

wikipedia says in some parts of scotland they call it a tosser. doesn't that mean something else in the UK :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Bahahahaha Bethany - that made me laugh. I couldn't call it a tosser without giggling like a ten year old!

Glad everyone liked the recipes - go forth and Rösti!

Anonymous said...

Yоu nеed to taκe part in а contеst for
one οf the greatest wеbѕitеѕ onlіne.
I will reсommenԁ thіѕ web site!


mу hоmеρage: gardening tips

Anonymous said...

I trulу loѵe your sіtе.. Veгy nice coloгs & theme.
Diԁ you dеvelоp thiѕ amazing sitе youгself?
Рleaѕе reply bacκ аѕ I’m аttеmptіng tο creatе my
οwn sіte and wаnt tο know wheгe you
got this from or what thе theme іs nameԁ.

Many thanks!

Chесk οut my hοmepage; gardening (buckswagon.com)