14/09/2008

Kiwi Adventures

I had recently bought a HUGE tray of Kiwi fruit from the Supermarket because I do like a good kiwi. I had been having one every day as a snack but realised today that the remaining four would need to be used up pronto. So I thought I'd make Kiwi Jelly. Why not? No good reason I could think of. Not even not having a jelly mold wasn't enough to dissuade me. I'm quite pleased with how it turned out. It's not very sweet (you might want to add some sugar if you like sweet jelly) it is clean and fresh tasting and would be superb after any meal - to...ya know...clean the palate and all that.
Ingredients 1.5 Tablespoons Agar Agar Flakes Half Cup Boiling water 4 Kiwis, peeled Tblsp Maple Syrup 1 Cup Bottled Water (or filtered - whatever you have) The easiest way to peel a Kiwi (giggle) is to cut the knobbly end of and using a vegetable peeler peel downwards from the cut off end. Peel all 4 Kiwi's and slice 5 or 6 slices to line your jelly mold with later, set them aside and place the rest of the fruit in the blender. Blitz for 3 or 4 mins until smooth. Scoop out all the pulp and place in a mixing bowl. Take the cup of cold water and put it in the blender - swilling round to get all the last pulpy bits up. Pour that into the mixing bowl with the pulp and stir. Add the Maple Syrup and stir again. Place the Agar Agar in a saucepan, add the boiling water and stir continuously for 3 mins. Add to the mixing bowl with the fruit pulp and stir well. Line a jelly mold (I used a big pudding dish) with the kiwi slices you reserved earlier. One on the flat bottom and the others round the edges. Pour in the jelly mix and refrigerate. I left mine in the fridge for 3 hours. Lunch was some Besto Pesto tossed with some pasta. Simple but delicious. Dinner was pizza with tomato, olive and more Besto Pesto. I tell ya, whilst my taste buds will lament when the Basil has all gone from my garden, my waist line will, at least be grateful. This stuff is addictive.

1 comment:

Jackdaw Jayne Studios said...

Oooo that jelly looks lush! Myself and OH are a huge fan of Kiwis so I might have to try that one out very soon :D