06/02/2009

Cooking the Vegan blogs

Hi guys and gals Since entering the blogosphere my list of foods to make has just been growing longer and longer by the day! And it's ALL YOUR FAULT for making such awesome looking foods and sharing them with the rest of blog land. I took this week as an opportunity to start making my way through them all - no easy task believe me. First up was River's Meatless Loaf I've had my eye on this ever since River posted it and rabbit totally convinced me with her version. My haul of UK goodies that I smuggled home with me included some Realeat Mince which I just knew would be perfect for this. And it was. This recipe is awesome! I didn't have any adobo OR Mrs. Dash seasoning and in all honesty I don't even know what either of those things are! So after a consultation with aforementioned bunny I ended up using a quarter of a teaspoon each of Mustard Powder, Paprika, Chili Flakes, Onion Powder, Garlic Salt and Mixed Herbs. And I subbed the half cup of Tomato Sauce with a half cup of made up Bisto Gravy. Ahhhhh....Bisto! Obviously I don't have any photos (SOB) but don't take my word for it anyway - nip on over to River's and rabbit's and have a look at theirs. Second up has to be the most AMAZING Soup I have ever had in my life. EVER. And as most of you know - I have had a LOT of Soup. This little beauty I have The Vegan Slaughterhouse to thank for. It is called Peanut Tofu Thai Soup and I command you all to go forth and make it. I totally stuck to the recipe on this one EXCEPT (haha) I used Cous Cous instead of Rice because I thought it would be more "authentic" (don't ask) and I didn't have Maple Syrup. The Cous Cous worked FAB and I don't know what difference the Maple Syrup would have made because to improve on this recipe just doesn't seem possible. It really is an amazing Soup! Thanks for all your comments last week - all your support has just been wonderful. If there are any more fingers and toes left to be crossed then you could wish me and Mr treehugger luck on Monday - we have just put an offer in on our dream house!! *SQUEALS!*

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck Hippy and Mr Hippy! Dream house, hey? I'm crossing everything for you guys, if (sorry, when) you get the good new on Monday I hope you can find a camera and show us a pic of the new joint (or at least tell me ALL about it! Please?).
*Squeezes* Best of luck buddy.
Glad you liked the loafage, that River is a darn genius I tells 'ya! I followed her recipe the best I could with the British ingredients at my disposal, and my strange aversion to measuring/ doing as I'm told!! LOL! Rivers recipes are rabbit proof (ie *FAIL* proof!) she rocks socks. I love her!
*Throws snowball at Hippy and runs away*

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

GOOD LUCK!

Jenn said...

I've been meaning to try River's not-meat loaf for ages...

Congrats on the house! Best of luck!

janelle said...

I love the blogging world too. I can't believe how willing people are to share their recipes.

Anonymous said...

Yes! Camera reappear so we can all see your new place (I'm just certain it will be yours) and all the yummy food you've been cooking up!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

YAY you liked the meatless loaf! Mr. Wing-it requested Wabbit's River Burgers version for his birthday. He wuves them! Thank you for the shoutout Jeni!! :)

I love the name of that blog, The Vegan Slaughterhouse. It's hilarious! Thanks for the link to the soup!

My fingers and toes are all in knots for you!! Good luck with your dream house! YAY!! :)

PS: The Wabbit is the genius one! Have you seen her spaghetti cupcakes? *swoon*

DJ said...

I'm loving River's meatloaf recipe - and am intrigued to find out about this dream house... Good luck Guys!

Felicity said...

That's so exciting about finding your dream house! Here's to hoping it all works out! :)

I will definitely be making that soup.

Chelsea said...

Everything's crossed! Good luck!!!!

And whoa, that soup! I want it!

miss v said...

good luck on the dream house! i can't wait to hear more about it!

Marni said...

I'm right there with you on the burgeoning list of recipes to try. Mine is just ridiculous at this point.

Sending you fluffy bunny dream home vibes! Let us know how it works out. And, of-course, post pics if you get it. :)

Jodi Anderson said...

The link to meatless loaves has been bookmarked! Yum.

EccentricEmma said...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Good luck hope you get good news on Monday!!! lots of love xxxx

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

Ooooh! How exciting! I shall have everything crossed for you!

I have been wanting to make River's loaf, but have been slacking as much in the kitchen as I have been on my blog.

And the soup looks fantastic too.

wingraclaire said...

Good luck, treehuggers!!!

Anonymous said...

Oooohhhh, suerte! How so so so exciting! I daydream about owning my own place, but for now we're stuck renting which sucks.
And that soup sounds so good!

Agnesss =) said...

Hey hey heyyy!!!

Jenni,I've been away for too long,missin' your blog =)!!

OHH MY GOD...I'm soooo sorry for your lost of all the stuff in your stolen bag...=(!!!!! It must be a horrible feeling!! =((

And I'm CROSSING ALL MY FINGERS FOR YOU!!!! FOR SURE!! Let's hope for best!! =)

Well,well...quite a looong list of goodies to try out!! =DD
Take it step by step =D
Can't wait to see your creations in the future!!

Sooo Jenni...how is it going to be with our FOOD SWAP ??? =DD

HOPE FOR THE BEST!! =D WIsh you luck!! LOTS OF IT!!

Hope to hear from you soon

try to enjoy your time!! =))

For the Love of Guava said...

OMG!! That's so exciting!! GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK GOOD LUCK!!! I can't wait to get into a place of our own... especially after dub recently being attacked by neighbor dog!

Seriously... crossing things that shouldn't even be crossed! :)

Anonymous said...

I hear you on that list. Mine is very long, too. I hope you have your house by now!

Anonymous said...

Good luck. The soup sounds terrific.

kmouse said...

Jeni,
I can't access the pdf online either for some reason. Good thing I save it earlier to my comp!

Heres the dressing recipe

Goddess Dressing:
1/4 cup sesame seeds (ground in coffe grinder)
1.5 Tbsp Nama Shoyu (or braggs liquid aminos, or dash of salt)
1 Tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 Tbsp honey or agave
2.5 Tbsp lemon juice
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar (unpasteurized)
1/4 cup olive oil (unfiltered, cold pressed)
1 clove garlic, diced
dash of ground black pepper
1/2 Tbsp green onions (opt)
1/2 Tbsp parsley or cilantro (opt)
Blend all ingredients in a blender. Store in the fridge for up to two weeks, longer if you don’t add herbs/lemon
to the dressing until prior to serving.

Jen Treehugger said...

Thank you so much mouse.
:)
I winged it for tonight's dinner but I am definitely making this in the future.

Thanks for all your wishes folks there seems to be a problem with the land registry but nothing that a bit of paper pushing won't sort out. We should be putting a deposit down sometime this week.

And yes River - rabbit is a genius - those cuppies are superb. The only bad thing about them is that they are not in my tummy.
:)

Bethany said...

congrats in advance! I hope you get it. it's very exciting news.

the soup sounds really yummy. I just had some soup from the freezer and now peepa is licking the bowl. peepa loves his squash :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Am i too late to cross fingers! oh i'm crossin 'em anyway! Good luck!

That soup sounds amazing, anthing with peanut butter in gets my vote - i'm gonna bookmark it!!