30/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 30: Diwali Supper

I'll be without a computer all day tomorrow/today so I'm posting this today but it's really tomorrow.
OO You know what I mean. HURRAH! for scheduled blogging. Unbeknownst (GOD that should be a word!!) to me and Mr treehugger, yesterday was Diwali - the Hindu festival of Light. I had heard of it and I knew it was soon but had no idea until I went into the Asian store and the chap there mentioned that it was. We had already decided we were cooking Indian food so this rather tickled me. I am easily tickled. Mr treehugger had already decided we were having Indian food I should say, because when I got up and went to make tea I saw a bowl of Lentils soaking in the kitchen and I KNEW what he was planning. We're having Daal!!! WooooHoooHoooo! Mr T is the official Daal maker in our household - he makes the best darndest Daal I've ever had (and I've had a few believe me) BUT he hadn't made a Vegan one as yet!! So we had a joint food making extravaganza that lasted ALL day - Indian food is something I insist on making in the morning and leaving it to stew and marinade in all those delicious flavours for the rest of the day. I made a delicious Curry using the Veg we had in the fridge - Carrots Aubergine, Courgettes, Potatoes, Cauliflower and Sweet Potato with the usual suspects of Onion, Garlic, Asafoetida, Mustard Seeds, Cardamom, ground Corriander, Cinnamon, Chillies, Cloves and a tin of Plum Tomatoes. And try as I might I can never wrangle the Daal recipe out of Mr T, I have been trying for as long as we've been together. He reckons that he doesn't know what he's going to put in it until he starts making it and then it all comes together like some kind of Daal JuJu, which I can totally relate to so I leave him his little culinary secrets. I'll just say that he said this was the BEST Daal he has ever made and he knows why - it's because of the particular way he prepared the Spices. I concurred - it was the best one yet but I reckoned it was because it was vegan and had nothing to do with the Spice hierarchy what-so-ever!
Mmmmm yummy. There's LOADS left for tomorrow too!!
And because it was the Festival of light of course we had to light candles. Sooo atmospheric. I'll return to my normal time zone tomorrow guys and gals. Today will be spent making lots of Halloween goodies so fingers crossed they will all come out well and I can regale and enthrall you all. Laters Y'all!

18 comments:

Sheree' said...

Enjoy and see you when you get back. Brandie and I were just talking yesterday how it is time for some Indian food. Yum!!!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I agree Indian food is best when it's left for the flavours to get jiggy with each other for a few hours.

I'm hungry again!

jessy said...

i puffy heart me some scheduled blogging! ahahahaa. that's awesome! oh my gosh, the dahl looks spectacular! we do the SAME THING - when we make indian food we prep it the day before or morning of, too - best to let the flavors have time to get awesome together! yay!

hope the halloween treats are a success! i am sure they'll be super stellar! hooray!

Anonymous said...

Huge feast, yay for left-overs!
One question~ where's the 'Bread of Narnia' dude?

Jodi Anderson said...

I am sad to admit that I haven't tried much Indian food, but only because I haven't had the opportunity. Screw opportunity! I'm going to make some myself. Besides, I'm feeling the need to expand my menu a bit.

kimmykokonut said...

I love dal too! Indian flavors are amazing. I think the secret may be to fry the spices and add them near the end. I've seen that in a few recipes.

Felicity said...

yummmy, I lurv Indian food. I want to learn to make vegan Peshawari naan. oh wait maybe that's not a good idea, I think I would eat too much...

Joanna said...

daal sounds interesting. i like eating things when i have no clue what they are.

x said...

Yummy,I've never tried making dahl but I really want to! Mr T.H's looks good!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Check out Mr. T's super yummy food! Everything looks so steamy and inviting!
Can't wait to see your Halloween goodies! YAY!!
PS: Thank you for all your comments on my blog! That hare had us believing he was a cute wiw fuwy bunny wabbit!

Anonymous said...

that Indian food looks delicious! And Im looking foward to seeing your halloween treats!

sarchan said...

How I love a good dhal.

Bex said...

I could use some good Indian deliciousness. I love that your honey has a signature dish, I gotta get my man in the kitchen. I just got him doing dishes, that's a start.

Anonymous said...

Happy Divali! Dahl is always good, I think it's my favourite Indian dish!

beastmomma said...

I am impressed and jealous with your home cooked meal.

Zoey said...

Wow, that Daal looks incredible. I like your pretty candle holder too!

A.M. said...

Hmm, I love Indian food.

Bethany said...

looks really yummy. you even used Asafoetida. good job!