08/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 8 - Iron Chef Challenge: Chickpea Fritters

There was no doubt in my mind that I wouldn't participate in this weeks Iron Chef Challenge.
1. I have the day off
2. the ingredient is chickpeas
3. this can be orange-ified

What better way for me to pay homage to my all time favourite thing than to get creative in the kitchen with my all time favourite thing.
We made some sweet sweet chickpea lurve together, bouncing ideas of eachother.
"What's that Chickpea?, you'd like some ginger added? OK!"
"What's that chickpea? You'd like some peanut butter too? OK!"
Who was I to question the chickpea juju that was occurring.
Moments of culinary inspiration are not new to me but usually a recipe needs a tweak here and there. Not this one - it's perfect! AND I wrote down EVERYTHING as I was doing it. 
Some chickpea miracle has occurred!
Having the day off meant I could spend as much time as I wanted/needed to take a nice photo. Seeing as y'all are experiencing this with your eyes and not your taste buds I really really wanted the photo to do it justice and make you all want to make this recipe so as we can all join hands and sing chickpea praises together.
I hope it worked!

Chickpea Fritters
makes 8
Ingredients
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 medium mushroom, diced up small
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, diced up small
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
quarter cup onion, diced up small
1 and a half cups of cooked chickpeas
1 Tablespoon peanut butter
third of a cup grated carrot
1 Tablespoon fresh parsley
8 twists of fresh black pepper
Oil for frying

For the batter (modified from this recipe)
Half a cup of flour
Half a cup of fresh breadcrumbs
8 twists of black pepper
2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
Half a cup of water (maybe a little less)

Method
Make up the batter by combining the flour, breadcrumbs and pepper in a bowl and whisking in the liquids. Add the water gradually until you get the right consistency.
Whisk it a few times during the next stage.
Heat the olive oil in a small saucepan. When the oil is hot add the mushroom, ginger and garlic, stir and turn the heat down. 
Add the salt and stir.
Add the onion and chickpeas and cook through for about 5 minutes stirring every now and then.
Add the peanut butter and take off the heat. With a potato masher, smoosh all the ingredients together, you still want chunks of things so don't go atomic on this.
Add the carrot, parsley and black pepper and stir together to combine.
Using an eighth of a cup as a measure (or whatever you have to hand, even your hand!) form the mixture into 8 balls.
I was a bit concerned that this was going to be a bit sticky so I had a bowl of chickpea flour on stand-by. It wasn't needed at all.
  • I don't own a deep fat fryer so these were fried in a small saucepan, one at a time in about three quarters of an inch of oil.
Heat the oil. Coat the balls in batter and gently plop into the hot oil, cook until golden brown and drain.
Sprinkle with salt.

There was a bit of batter left over so I coated up a couple of mushrooms and fried those too, it would have been rude not to!


GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

28 comments:

Kate said...

What beautiful golden brown chickpea loveliness!

Caitlin said...

these look fantastic! the texture looks out of this world ;)

B.A.D. said...

These look amazing! I totally missed the Iron Chef Memo! I might have to jump in on the next one.

Johanna GGG said...

I wanted these when I saw them raw - once I saw them deep fried I was in love. Can you tell me where to get chickpeas that give such great advice :-)

Deena Mehta said...

These look awesome!

Rhea Parsons said...

YUM! Gimme some! They look scrumptious!!!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I love your reasons for participating, number 3 made me laugh! They look really delicious too.

Zoa said...

Oh, it worked all right. These are truly gorgeous, drool-inducing photos, and, if I may say so, the balls are a particularly attractive shade of orange ;-)

omgoshimvegan said...

Drool worthy! I have bookmarked this to make them when I have a chance!

xvavaveganx said...

Yum!! These sound AMAZING! Love me some chickpeas and fritters sound so yummy for a cold fall day! Great recipe!

rachel said...

ooh these look delicious! love me some chickpeas :)

Andrea said...

A good chickpea fritter is something my teeth are always happy to sink into. Great ingredient list!

Richa said...

totally delectable fritters!! bring on the chickpea
Richa @ Hobby And More Food Blog

Tea and Sympatico said...

ha ha, I always make baby testers too!

Vegfox said...

Lady, you've clearly created something quite special here! I must make these! Like Johanna, I want to meet those advice-giving chickpeas ;)

Kristina @ spabettie said...

oh my Oh My, OH MY !! dang, girl, when can I come over to play!? these look SO good.

I didn't know about this iron chef until now... I'm a chickpea FUHREEEAAAK. dang. next time. ;)

I want these.

Niru said...

It surely worked. These look so good. What a neat high-protein snack.

jessy said...

sweet gloriousness, Jeni - your chickpea fritters look amazingly awesome - i have GOT to try them out! i'm writing down the recipe now. oooooh, i cannot wait to give them a go! they're easy enough to make gluten-free and they sound soooo gooooooo!

Eve Love said...

looks amazingly yummy!!! thanks for that idea!

Anonymous said...

Props to you for frying! I tried it a couple of years ago, and, well, it wasn't pretty. My falafal totally disentegrated! Ha ha ha ha

Angela said...

Oh hell yes! Bookmarked to try ASAP!

Katie said...

Haha, chickpea juju. <3

x said...

YUM! I have to make these asap. And thanks for taking notes and sharing the recipe with us, I can't wait to try these.

Green-Cat said...

Oh my, they look delish!!!! Recipe's bookmarked, can't wait to try it out! Looks like a great thing to serve at a party. Thank you for this recipe!

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments - just to clarify; chickpeas don't usually talk to me. Ah who am I kidding, YES THEY DO!
hee hee hee

Report back if y'all try this recipe.
:-)

KitteeBee said...

hello chix ball! hello!
these look great. thanks for perfecting the recipe for the rest of us!

xo
kittee

Shannon said...

OMG, I'm drooling now. They look sooo good!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Hell to the yes!