06/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 6 - Roasted Carrot and Parsnip Soup

Roasted Carrot & Parsnip Soup
serves 6
Ingredients
350g carrots, peeled and chopped
160g parsnips, peeled and chopped
140g turnip, peeled and chopped
310g diced yellow onion
2 cloves garlic, cut in halves
half a cup chopped leek
half a cup celery, sliced thinly
2 Tblsp olive oil x 2
1 tsp salt
1 and a half litres of good stock

Method
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a roasting pan in a medium/hot oven for 5 minutes. Add the carrot, parsnips, turnips and onion. Roast for about an hour turning every 20 minutes or so. Twenty minutes before roasting has finished add the garlic.

Heat the other 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a big pan and fry the leek and celery for 8 minutes. Add the salt and cook for another couple of minutes.
Add the roasted vegetables and stock.
Simmer for 5 mins then whizz with a stick blender (or whatever fancy equipment you normally use).
Season with freshly ground black pepper and go and warm your tummies.
GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!

13 comments:

Nicola said...

Oooh what a lovely aumtuny recipe! I would be tempted to devour those lovely roasted veggies before I got the blending part though!

x

Tea and Sympatico said...

looks like a perfect autumn soup!

Mel said...

Roasted carrots are one of my favourite roasted vegetables and I adore soup so this recipe sounds perfect for me. Bookmarking this one! :D

Jes said...

Mmm, I love roasted parsnips & carrots together--the soup looks great!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Your soup looks perfect, creamy blended soups are my favourite!

MeShell said...

Yum!!! that looks great. What a lovely colour!

It would take serious effort not to eat the heck out of that soup... (or as nicola said... the veggies pre souping!)

Anonymous said...

Yumz, this soup would have been perfect for today's weather :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I have carrots and parsnips to use up, so I think I'll have to make this soup over the weekend.

Claudia said...

That looks really good - I could eat the veggies just by themselves! :-)

x said...

I usually don't like cooked carrot,s I find them too sweet but I'd give this a go just because it would give me a reason to buy and cook parsnip, which I hardly ever do

Anonymous said...

Oh, great idea! I tried parsnips a couple of times last year, and I just couldn't get into them. But a blended soup is brilliant! Why did I think of that ?!

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments.
:-)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Gah! I can't get over how smooth and delicious this looks.