04/10/2011

Vegan MoFo Day 4 - When Life Gives You Lemons


....and oranges, MAKE MARMALADE!!!!
YAY!

Orange and Lemon Marmalade  
makes 1 medium jar

Ingredients  

Juice of 4 oranges
Juice of 1 large lemon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
7 oranges
Peel from 2 oranges, cut into long thin slices (or chunkier if you like it like that)
8 ounces granulated sugar

Method  
Squeeze the juice from 4 oranges and I large lemon and put in a jug – add 1 teaspoon of bicarb.
Peel the oranges and cut in half horizontally, this makes taking out the pips easier. Remove pips and cut away any white pithy bits. Chop into small chunks. Put the oranges and peel in a heavy based saucepan, add the juice mixture. Bring to boil then simmer for 1 hour (after 40 mins you will have to keep a real good eye on it all as it starts to thicken and reduce down – you don’t want it to burn!)
Add the sugar and boil rapidly for 15 mins stirring all the time.
Place in clean sterilized jars, seal and let cool.

Keep refrigerated.
This makes enough for one medium sized jar – so just double or treble the amounts to whatever you want.


GO VEGAN!
Go MoFo!


14 comments:

coldandsleepy said...

Mmm. It's been years since I made my own marmalade... your post reminded me just how good the homemade stuff is.

Rhea Parsons said...

Sounds great. Hubby would love this. And love the giraffe :)

Catofstripes said...

Ooooh marmalade, we like marmalade.

Rose said...

I love orange marmalade...never made it myself. Thanks for the recipe! I'm definitely bookmarking this!

vegan.in.brighton said...

I've never tried making jam or marmalade, it's always struck me as one of those things that'd be too hard! Nice work!

Tea and Sympatico said...

I LOVE making marmalade. I do a big batch every year before Christmas and it makes my flat smell amazing.

x said...

I've never made my own jam/marmalade because I've always thought it would be too difficult but your recipe looks easy enough!

Vegfox said...

I've definitely never made marmalade. Looks like fun ;) Does it turn out just as well with other sweeteners?

Susan said...

I've never made jam or marmalade before, even though I have books and always mean to, because I am a big weenie and it kind of scares me. I like this recipe though!

Making one jar means I can just make and eat, and don't have to worry about not steralising jars properly and killing everyone with botulism and then the cats have to eat me to sustain themselves until someone comes to rescue them, and I can't die from botulism yet because I haven't sorted out leaving my entire estate to my cats. You know, or something. ;)

Jen Treehugger said...

Thanks for your comments guys. I made this recipe for very similar reasons i.e I thought jam making was scary and I'd end up with 22 million jars of runny fruity water. I have to say that this Marmalade is the best marmalade I've ever had, a bold statement I know but it's true. I hope some of you give it a go and get over your jam fears.

Cassie - I've not tried it with sweeteners but I don't see why it wouldn't be equally as awesome.

LOL Susan!

celine said...

I love marmalade! so happy that it'll soon be just the right time of year for such an occupation.

jessy said...

my grandmother used to make marmalade and different jellies and jams - they were all sooo good, and her marmalade was one of my favorites. i always thought it was pretty tough to make so thanks for making me see the light, Jeni. looks like i'll be marmalade'n soon! mmmmmm!

VeggieAmanda said...

I haven't orange marmalade in forever. This sounds wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Whoa. This sounds so citrusy and bright!