31/03/2011

Vegan Cherry Sponge Cake


S'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup!
Mostly I are making cakes. And eating cakes. Mostly I are happy.

This makes such a delicious, dense, moist, rich cake you will wonder where this recipe has been all your vegan life.

Vegan Cherry Cake

Ingredients

3 cups of self raising flour
1 cup sugar
1 cup glace cherries, halved
3/4
teaspoon salt
2 cups coconut milk (which conveniently is one whole tin)
2/3 cup of groundnut oil
1
teaspoon vanilla essence
2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Method


Heat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 9 inch cake tin (deep one).
Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a large mixing bowl. In another bowl stir together the coconut milk, oil and vanilla and add to the flour, sugar and salt. Add the halved cherries and mix until you get a smooth batter. The consistency will be quite thick for a cake batter but this is good.
Just before pouring into the cake tin, stir in the cider vinegar.

Bake for about 1 hour 30 mins (check after 1 hr 15 mins) until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean. Don't be tempted to open the oven for at least an hour or it will sink!
Cool in the tin.  

 

18 comments:

Jackie Smith said...

Jeni, that looks like all kinds of awesome!

vegan.in.brighton said...

That looks SO delicious! I would love a big piece of it right now.

Bianca said...

Ooooh, that does look lovely! What, by chance, is groundnut oil?

wingraclaire said...

So glad to see you! Looks delicious!

Susan said...

Hurrah for cake and for happy. :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Hi Bianca - groundnut oil has pretty much zero taste but is wonderfully rich and just perfect for cake baking. I'm pretty sure vegetable oil will suffice if you can't get groundnut oil.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Looks fab!! I could do with a slice and nice cuppa right now. I <3 glace cherries.

River said...

S'uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuup Jeni! So glad to see a new Jeni post!! Yay!! :)

The crumb looks so unbelievably perfect! Will you be offended if I pick the cherries off my slice? I'm weird like that.

Judi FitzPatrick said...

This cake looks delish, must get ingredients and give it a try. Thanks!! Peace, Judi

Anonymous said...

This looks gorgeous! It's my birthday today...I might just have to make myself a cake... :D

Anonymous said...

Exceptional writing. Would you mind me posting a link of this post on my blog? It will be helpful to my visitors also.And yes i have book mark your site heathenandvegan.blogspot.com .

Vegfox said...

Ooo coconut milk, yum! Looks good. Glad to see a new post, it has been awhiiiiiiiiile.

Tomsmum said...

Truely wonderful cake that I made for my non-choclate eating DH's birthday. I did find that it sank a little but it didn't affect the taste!

Thanks for sharing
Claire

Gauri Radha गौरी राधा said...

This cake looks delicious.

Asterix said...

If I want to turn this into a cherry almond cake by putting ground almonds in, should I take some of the flour out to maintain the same consistency? If so, how much?

Any other suggestions on how to make it almondy other than almond essence?

AdvoCat said...

This cake looks fabulous and perfect as fits exactly what's in the house...except cider vinegar, going to use normal distilled 'white' vinegar instead as presume due to lack of eggs, the vinegar has some chemical importance in the recipe. Anyways, well excited about making this, and tasting it of course too!! thank you :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Oooh let me know what you think of it, hope you love it as much as we do :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Asterix, sorry for late reply. I wouldn't omit any flour but add more coconut milk. I'd say half a cup of ground almonds to quarter cup of coconut milk. Please let me know how this turns out, it sounds delicious!