03/11/2010

Vegan MoFo IV Day 3: Easy Peasy Pasta

When I don't have much time to prepare awesome food but I don't want to eat junk food (though sometimes I do want to eat junk food ya know) I have a few recipes that can be whipped together in 20 mins from start to table. And one of those is my creamy pasta recipe. I was never a fan of creamy pastas before going vegan (weird huh!) and this recipe pleases the whole household including omnivore and peskytarian.

Ingredients
serves 3
2 cloves of garlic
1 cup raw cashews
1 Tablespoon light tahini
1 Tablespoon pesto or 6 Basil leaves
4 Tablespoons olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons lemon juice
300 ml of vegetable stock
salt to taste
1 onion sliced thinly
load of mushrooms sliced thickly
half cup of white wine
half a cup frozen peas
freshly ground black pepper
Parsley, chopped

Method
In a blender whizz up the garlic, cashews, pesto, tahini, 2 Tablespoons of the olive oil and lemon juice in that order. Add 200ml of the stock. Taste and if it needs salt add a little bit to your liking.
In a pan add the remaining 2 Tablespoons of olive oil and fry the onion and the mushrooms for 5 mins. You will need to stir this regularly. Add the white wine and cook for a further 10 mins on medium high, again stirring regularly.Now's the time to cook your pasta.
Add the cashew mix from the blender and the frozen peas and stir well. If you like a runnier sauce (I do) then add the remaining stock. Cook for 5 mins more.
Add black pepper to taste and the chopped up parsley.
Serve over your pasta.
I added some sliced up black olives to mine because I just LURVE olives.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds delicious! I am all about having a good number of quickie recipes in the rotation for those "oh crap, what's for dinner" moments. Because eating naughty is fine, but I like to plan my indulgences, not submit to them!

Jennifer Stadtmiller said...

Well, I have always been a fan of creamy pastas and this one sounds delicious!!! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Quick, easy - I love it! This is going into my file of recipes for meals in a hurry!

Vic Robinson said...

Looks like a great staple! Those quick food are so necessary in our busy times. :)

Andrea said...

Fast, easy, delicious = tonight's dinner. Can't have too many pasta dishes to call up at a moment's notice.

Tea and Sympatico said...

Mmm nice. I'm the same, pre-vegan never liked creamy pasta probably cos I didn't like the taste of cream. Will have to try this. One of my big faves is the alfreda sauce from Vegan With A Vengeance.

Tea and Sympatico said...

PS - Thanks for your comment on my blog. It really made me laugh and brought back long forgotten memories of me and my mates trying to smoke it too!

Eve Love said...

looks really yummy!

Anonymous said...

I love pasta recipes where the sauce takes less time to make than the pasta does to boil. Lunch/Dinner in less than 20 minutes works for me!

Anonymous said...

yum...I have the same feeling I only make junkfood and when I do it takes a big effort. Really love your easy pasta dish. Thanks for the recipe.

DJ said...

This sounds perfect - quick, easy and pasta-y, I love it!

Michelle said...

Yum yum yum! I always go for the creamy pasta dish when I'm short on time and big on hunger too!

Lauren said...

This recipe calls to my heart.

Allyson said...

I was never a fan of creamy pasta sauce before going vegan either- now I love them! Yours look deeelish.

wingraclaire said...

That looks delicious! It's getting cold here, and creamy pasta looks like the perfect comfort food (and I don't want to make linguine with peanut sauce twice in one week; that would just be wrong).

I've already copied this recipe and will go out and buy some raw cashews. Hard to find here outside of health food store/coop!

jodye @ 'scend food said...

I'm not much of a pasta eater, myself, but this tahini-pesto-white wine combination sounds wonderful. I'd definitely pour that over some quinoa or barley!

River said...

Creamy pasta in 20 minutes! Awesome! I love cashew based sauces. Can I have mine without the olives? I just totally offended you, didn't I? :P

Jen Treehugger said...

Ha ha not at all River. Hubby and son don't eat olives either hence why I popped them on after the cooking.
:)

Penny said...

You've just solved my 'what on earth are we going to have for dinner when there are no onions in the house but I do have some left-over mushrooms?' problem. Thanks! This looks so good!

Penny said...

Oh, no! I just re-read the recipe and there ARE onions needed. Oh well, I'll just have to brave the torrential rain and go out and get some... Or else wait till tomorrow when I have the car... Sorry! Blog-comment equivalent of thinking aloud here... Anyway, I'll be making it very soon! :)

Jen Treehugger said...

Not at all Penny - I've made this without onions before and you won't miss 'em!
:)

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Mmm! That pasta sounds great!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yuuuuum, I love creamy pasta sauces & that looks delicious.

Felicity said...

Now doesn't that look yumtastic. I keep meaning to make a creamy pasta sauce with cashews, but have not yet gotten around to it.

Veg-In-Training said...

Fast and fantastic. It doesn't get much better than that!