06/12/2009

Vegan Mince Pies

The halls are decked with bells and holly, the Christmas Cake has been baked and is being fed copious amounts of brandy until it's ready for decorating and the first batch of mince pies have been baked. It's CHRIST-MAAAAAAAAS! Vegan Mince Pie Recipe makes 12 Ingredients 1 1/4 cups (175 grams) all-purpose flour 1/2 teaspoon salt 1 tablespoon granulated white sugar 1/2 cup (113 grams) vegan margarine a bit more than 1/8 cup ice water but not quite a 1/4 cup (40 ml) 1 jar of vegan mincemeat Method Sieve the flour, salt and sugar in a bowl and add the margarine. Rub the margarine into the flour until it resemble fine breadcrumbs. Add the water and gather together to form a dough. Cover with clingfilm and chill for half an hour (you AND the dough hee hee hee). Set oven to 205 degrees centigrade (400 Fahrenheit). Grease a 12 mini muffin pan with margarine and dust with flour. Tap the excess flour off (do this over the sink). Divide the dough in half and lightly flour a work surface. Roll one half of the dough until about 1/8 inch thick and cut into 12 rounds that are slightly bigger than the muffin tins. Place the rounds in the muffin tin and put about a teaspoon of mincemeat in each round. Roll out the second half of dough as before and cut out your star shapes. With a pastry brush gently dab some water on each of the star points and place over each pie - pressing the points down gently. Brush with soya milk and dust with sugar and bake in the oven for 15-20 mins. Take out of pan and cool.
Try saving one for Santa!
GO VEGAN!

21 comments:

DJ said...

Your mince pies look amazing! You have them looking so pretty - my mince pies always look like they've been gun-blasted into the tray! Glad to hear you're keeping the English Christmas traditions going, I've completely lapsed this year as my step-M-I-L has started doing christmas cake, only SVD likes mince pies and none of us ingrates really like christmas pudding. m(_ _)m

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Those are amazing, Jeni!!!! I'm loving the sweet little stars. I wonder if I can find a jar of vegan mince here in Texas... let's hope so!

kmouse said...

GORGEOUS!!!!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

What adorable mini-pies! They're clearly the "star" of the show. ;)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pies, Jen!

Tahn said...

What gorgeous looking pies! Bet they didn't last long!!

jessy said...

your mince pies look absolutely awesome, Jeni! WOW!!! i'm gonna have to make some & try and gluten-free crust for them. yum! squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee for the holiday season and all the happyfaces it brings!

Mary said...

Tell me more about this drunken Christmas cake...

Tracy said...

They are so pretty!!! Happy holidays :c)

miss v said...

where do you get vegan mincemeat?

For the Love of Guava said...

wait I'm still confused... they're beautiful but are they savory or sweet?

Lovlie said...

Ah you've already made a first batch! I'll get cracking soon with some xmas goodies! Can't wait! Those pies look fantastic! I love mince pies!

Susan said...

Yay! I love mince pies and I have a jar of fruit mince in the cupboard. I know what I am doing when I have the time!

Veganosaurus said...

Those look so cute! :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

they look awesome. so pretty.

my mum and I made some last year that tasted good but they were a hot mess! mum thought we should try to pretty them up with some icing sugar but I had to break it to her that it wouldn't help - you can't polish a turd!!

River - The Crafty Kook said...

Fa la la la la, la la la la!

Your mini mince pies are so pretty and festive, Jeni! I love them! Did you manage to save one for Santa? No? Can't blame you! :-D

Jenn said...

Those look so yummy!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I've never had mincemeat pie, but I wants!!!!

from indonesia said...

I want to taste what it feels like, because I've never eaten pie.
because in my country there is no pie.
in my country too much good food, certainly you will like it.
I will visit your blog again, because I like the food.

sp said...

Those are impressive looking. I hope you had a nice holiday!

Michelle said...

Such beautiful 'lil pies!!

And I'm so glad you received and love your calendar!! <3