18/05/2009

Inspired by an alien and Cauliflower Uncheese

I've owned Hot Damn and Hell Yeah for a few months now but have, until now, not made anything from it. I am a bit of a sucker for seeing photos of recipes to give me a kick up the pants to try them but for some strange unexplained reason a lot of vegan cook books are sadly lacking in the photo department. I know that vegan cook books pack a lot of recipes into their pages but if I'm not gonna be inspired to make the recipes without some visuals then personally I'd prefer a few less recipes and more photos.
Anyhoo - this sounds like I'm moaning and I'm not - so ONTO THE FOOD!
Sal blogged about the Country Tofu recipe on her ace blog - Alien on Toast and it was seeing her gorgeous photos that made up my mind to give this recipe a try. I kind of winged it with the spices too but let me tell you - this recipe is DELICIOSO!
here it is served with some baked new Potatoes, Green Beans and Fried Onions. YUM!
And tonight I made a corker of a recipe that I wanted to share with you all right away. I give you Cauliflower Uncheese. So simple and so delicious.
Cauliflower Uncheese serves 4 Ingredients 1 Large-ish Cauliflower, cut into florets and steamed 400g cooked Chickpeas 1 Clove Garlic 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil +/- Half a cup of Soya Milk or other non dairy milk (though I've only tried this with Soya) 1-2 teaspoons Dry Mustard Powder Salt Black pepper 1 cup of fresh Breadcrumbs Method Place the cooked Cauliflower into an oven proof dish. Whizz up the Chickpeas, Garlic, Olive Oil and Soya Milk with a blender or stick blender. Add the Mustard Powder and season to taste. Add the Sauce to the Cauliflower and coat well. Cover with tin foil and bake in a hot oven for 30 mins. Take off the tin foil and sprinkle on the Breadcrumbs and finish off in the oven so as the Breadcrumbs turn a nice golden colour. Serve and scoff!
Served with Green Beans and Onion and Potato layer
I have also been super busy in the garden this past week and a half but I think that deserves a whole blog post all to itself, so watch this space.
GO VEGAN!

24 comments:

Carrie said...

I have some cauliflower in my fridge...I so know what recipe I'm going to be trying out. :)

elizabeth said...

ohhhh! this all looks sooo good! Yum!

jessy said...

i’m a big fan of cookbooks with pictures, too – it inspires me more and gives me a better idea of what the food should kinda look like when it’s done! the country tofu looks awesome, Jeni – and your cauliflower uncheese sounds amazing! cauliflower + chickpeas + breadcrumbs = sign me up & yummy! superw00t! you better believe i’m staying tuned for your garden post! i can’t wait!

wingraclaire said...

Hey, that baked cauliflower sounds delicious. I'm going to try it, as it's still cold enough here to want something hot out of the oven :)

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

aww thanks for the shout-out hun! that tofu rocks socks doesn't it!!

your cauliflower uncheese sounds freakin ace!!

Anonymous said...

I need to get that cookzine. And the cauliflower looks delicious. Thanks for the recipe.

Felicity said...

mmm, I think you've got a good thing going with the whole cauliflower-to-make-uncheese thing. sounds scrumptious :)

Amanda said...

What I love most about your blog (besides you!) is that all the food you post is so wholesome and comforting looking..these are no exception! I'm totally with you on the photo things but that makes sense because aren't we both graphic design/web people? We were born to be visual!!

Jen Treehugger said...

Amanda - it's true - I do like visuals!
Jessy - I also like to see what a recipe SHOULD look like and seeing a photo definitely inspires me to make it. Which is why all your blogs are so AWESOME!!

For the Love of Guava said...

ooh... that cauliflower uncheese looks delish!!! I only have broccoli around right now but I might have to try that anyways.

Can't wait to see pictures of your garden!!!

Anonymous said...

Sal totally rocks socks and so do you! That cauliflower dish sounds deeelish, and that country tofu is making my mouth water!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That cauliflower uncheese is droolworthy!

aTxVegn said...

As a lover of cauliflower and chickpeas, your uncheese sounds super! Thanks for the recipe!

Oraphan said...

Wow! The country tofu looks so yummy, I'll definitely give it a try soon. Cauliflower Uncheese also looks so good, thanks for the recipe. I'm so excited to see your garden pics, can't wait!!!=D

Anonymous said...

Ah- couldn't find the comments link initially! Completely hear you about the vegan book-picture thing. Good thing vegan blogs make up for it very well. :)

The cauliflower uncheese sounds absolutely scrumptious. I would love to try it soon!

For the Love of Guava said...

Mm... your cauliflower inspired me to try some garbanzo bean sauces! I added some italian herbs and ate it over pasta with broccoli and asparagus! YUM!! I was going to bake it with bread crumbs but got too lazy... I'll have to try that soon! Mr. Guava raved about it!

Jenni (aka Vegyogini) said...

Oh my, I've owned that book for YEARS and I don't think I've ever made anything from it! I'm glad you beat me to it. :)

Bethany said...

thank you, thank you! I have a bunch of cauliflower in my fridge that I need to use up. I know what is for dinner tonight...

I made the same tofu from that cookbook, plus the gravy and the biscuits. the tofu was good, but a bit too salty. I still have the flour mix, so I should make some. here's my old post on it. I too had to see somebody else's post pics to make it myself.

you should visit your dad during the summer so you get some awesome weather. trust me, you don't want the winter gloom. make sure you eat out every night because there are so many restaurants. check out the stumptown vegans site because they have such awesome detailed descriptions of the food. I wanted to visit "forest park", but didn't get a chance. it looked really nice. lots of trees to hug.

Jen Treehugger said...

Oooh Bethany....so many trees so little time.
A trip to Portland is WAY up on my list of things to do.
:)

Jen Treehugger said...

Guava!! Glad you liked the Sauce - it's AWESOME isn't it!
xx

Tracy said...

Sounds fantastic! I am usually pretty picky with cauliflower but this sounds like a delicious way to do it, thanks Jeni! :c)

miss v said...

dang that cheesy cauli looks fantastic!!!

Eric said...

Ahh that country tofu looks delicious! And so does that cauliflower uncheese. I need to pick up that uncheese book.....everything looks so tasty!

Bethany said...

I made the cauliflower bake and it was really good :)