30/04/2009

YAY! FOOD!

Don't fret people - I have been cooking and eating fantastic vegan food during The Big Move and I promise I have not withered away to nothingness (haha as if!). I am thoroughly enjoying my new kitchen - there is just soooo much room it's AWESOME! So as you know exactly what I'm talking about and appreciate my elation without thinking I've lost the plot completely - here is a photo of my old kitchen You see that thing under the yellow toaster? That was my oven!! It was smaller than a small thing and it always amazed me that I managed for so long with that heap of shite. The two small work surface areas you can see were THE ONLY work surfaces! And to think I rustled out Christmas dinner with all the trimmings in that tiny space! Now.....behold my lovely new kitchen Isn't it AWESOME!!! I can dance around when the notion takes me, heck - I can do the freaking can can AND have room for my friends to join in too! And can you see my lovely new MAHOOSIVE oven? I frequently stroke it. Now "ONTO THE FOOD" I hear you cry. What with the gorgeous hot weather here on The Costa Blanca, Salads have been playing a big role in our evening meals. I quite happily eat Salad all day every day when the sun is shining so I'm always concocting up new ways and ideas to eat it. My latest creation is Curried Rice and let me tell you - it's GOOOOOOOD! Curried Rice Salad serves 4 Ingredients 1 Cup Brown Rice cooked in 3 cups water for 20 minutes, drained and left to cool +/- 1 teaspoon Cumin +/- 1 teaspoon Curry Powder +/- 1 teaspoon Salt half teaspoon Black Pepper Sprinkling of Turmeric Sprinkling of Garam Masala Sprinkling of Garlic Powder 4 Dried Apricotes, diced Handful Sultanas Handful Roasted Cashews Method Fork the Rice (giggles) regularly whilst it's cooling to prevent it from sticking. When it's cooled completely add all the ingredients mixing really well after each addition and Bob's yer uncle! How easy is that! Don't be shy to add more of the Spices and taste it regularly to check how it's coming along and just season it to your taste really. This is so versatile and the possibilities are endless so don't be scared - experiment with it. This will keep in the fridge a few days and is even better the next day too.
Here it is served with a green Salad, Chickpea Cutlets, grilled Asparagus, New Potatoes and homemade Mayo. YUM!
Other meals in the treehugger household this week have been
Seitan Satay - recipe can be found here
Here it is served with a green Salad and more Curried Rice Salad. Über YUM!
Tofu Breast served with Caeser Salad and grilled Asparagus! Über Über YUM!
Asparagus is in season here and is super cheap so we do tend to eat a lot of it at this time of year because we can actually afford it. It is one of my favourite vegetables and my favourite way to cook it is drizzled in Olive Oil, sprinkled with Salt and Black Pepper with some Fresh Lemon squeezed over the top and grilled for 5 mins. Hell YEAH!
GO VEGAN!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous new kitchen!! Congratulations!!! :-)

Penny said...

What a great new kitchen! Lack of counter space is my problem, too, and at first I thought the 'old kitchen' pic was the new one... The new one is a huge improvement, though, and I love those recipes, which I plan on trying out SOON! Want more kitty pix, too. The whole family loved them!

Tami said...

I love your new kitchen! So awesome!

DJ said...

Nice kitchen! I, like Penny and your old self, have the same minimal counter top issues but we manage, though you no longer have too - wOO-HOO! The curried rice looks right up my street and I'm so jealous of your delicious grilled asparagus... P.S. more house pix please!!!

elizabeth said...

Oh wow, it all looks so good! Congratulations on the new kitchen!!!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Yum! Yum! Yum! As soon as I get some Apricots, I am all over making that salad.

Congrats on the new kitchen. It is absolutely gorgeous.

miss v said...

beautiful beautiful ginormous kitchen! congrats. and i'm loving that rice - i want to snatch up those cashews. ;)

Bex said...

your new kitchen looks great! congratulations! I am jealous of your under the counter washer (is it a washer/dryer combo?) damn near impossible to get here. I coveted one at my inlaws' place when we were last in London. Too cool.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

man your old kitchen was teeny - my old one was like that too, so cramped! your new kitchen is gorgeous.

curry rice salad sounds awesome, and satay setain! Yum!!

ZippyZu said...

Awesome kitchen! Certainly an improvement! And I LOVE curry :-)

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Wow, that's a serious kitchen upgrade! Get to baking!

Felicity said...

The new kitchen looks fab! No wonder you stroke your oven. Salads are great when it's hot (along with vegan barbecues!). Your curried rice salad sounds deelish. I love asparagus too... isn't it weird how it makes your pee smell funny, hehe. Did you get a new camera??

Jen Treehugger said...

LOL FELICITY!!!
I hadn't noticed...but I'm gonna!
Yes, I was lucky enough to get a new camera bought for me....I stroke that too.
;)
xx

Amanda said...

Love the new kitchen and yay for a new oven!!!

Jenn said...

Sweet new kitchen and awesome food photos!

jessy said...

you new kitchen = the best, Jeni! i especially love that you have room to dance around in it if you feel so inclined! i totally groove out when i cook, too! it's the best! your meals are all so rock'n! i love the satay and your rice salad is the best! hooooooooray for a kitchen of gloriousness and some tasty, tasty foods! mmmmmmmm!

wingraclaire said...

What an absolutely beautiful kitchen! I don't blame you for stroking the appliances... and I love those counters! Enjoy it all!

That salad looks great. Glad you are finally getting the sunny Spain you wished for a couple of months ago!

disabled account said...

i love your new kitchen! how on earth did you manage to cook in that old one?....i know, it's vegan magic. ;)

yummy...curried rice with apricots.

Agnesss =) said...

Hey hey Girl!! =D

I'm reALLY sorry for that delay in commenting =( it's just all due to the exam session coming on me.. bleh!! =//

It's soooo cool to see you enjoying yummy VEGAN FooDS!!! =DDD
VEGAN is THE WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!! =DDD

Well,how ARE YOU...??!! Let mme know!! =D

iff you have time,there's a new post on my blog !! =DTake a look pls!! =D

HUGGGGGS!! =D Enjoy your day!!

Ricki said...

That's a gorgeous kitchen! Congrats on the new stove and all the amazing food it helped you create. :)

STEPHANIE said...

Congrats on the new kitchen! I can't wait to try these recipes it all sounds so yummy!

Hollie said...

Beautiful kitchen, that's awesome! I'm so happy for you! :)

But I'm confused - is that a clothes washer under the counter? Or something else?

Jen Treehugger said...

Hi Hollie - It is a washing machine yes. Under the counter washing machines are all over Europe and it's not very often you see a top loader over here - though you can get them.

aTxVegn said...

Love your new kitchen!

Anonymous said...

I am soooo envious of your kitchen!!! But thrilled for you that you have such a great space to make the amazing vegan goodness that has just made my mouth water! Oh satay and curry rice goodness, how I love thee!

eric said...

What a nice new kitchen! Looks like there's lots of room to play and make all kinds of great food. You are one lucky vegan....who is heathen :)

Speaking of food.....the curried rice salad looks awesome. Curry anything is awesome. And asparagus.....one of my favorites :)

You are in Spain, aren't you? I can't help but feel jealous, I love Spain.

Bethany said...

oooh! love that new kitchen. the backsplash is very cool looking.

the satay looks super fancy. i want some!

VEGAN TICKLES said...

Your new kitchen is beautiful. And you should definitely invest in a copy of Vegan Table. It's my fav.