16/12/2008

Just horsing around..........

One thing that really bothers me is the fact that I don't do more to help animals. Some would say that by not eating them I am already doing enough and whilst that is true, I still feel like I can do more and I would like to do more. My reasons are full of half arsed excuses, such as I don't have the transport, I couldn't bear to work in the pound (which is a killing pound) blah blah blah blah blah.... So when I saw a plea for help on my local ex-pat forum I just knew this was my chance and opportunity to help the animals I love so much. The cry for help was in the guise of creating a website for a local Horse Rescue Centre. Perfect for me. I replied and the next day went out to meet the guys who run the rescue centre, Rod and Sue. Let me tell you - the minute I walked on to their finca I instantly liked these two people. They currently have 10 horses that have all been rescued from lives of hell and neglect, with nothing to look forward to except the knackers yard.
A knacker is a person in the trade of rendering animals that are unfit for human consumption, such as horses that can no longer work. This leads to the slang expression "knackered" meaning very tired, or "ready for the knacker’s yard", where old horses are slaughtered and made into dog food and glue. A knacker's yard or knackery is where this takes place, as opposed to a slaughterhouse, where animals are slaughtered for human food.
As well as the horses though, they also have a gaggle of geese, a brood of chickens, a flock of ducks, a prattle of parrots, 3 dogs and a cat. Oh, and they're vegetarian to boot!! WooHoo! They are two of the nicest people ever - and they have a cool friend called Yvonne who helps out and volunteers her time and resources to helping the horses as well. I LOVED it there and could have stayed there forever. I'm delighted and thrilled at being given this opportunity to help out, and if y'all want to take a look at the finished result - here's the link.
Easy Horse Care Today's song is by the utterly FANTASTIC MGMT - Kids

22 comments:

For the Love of Guava said...

YAY!! Go on with your bad self you little activist you! I'm sending you some Guava karma points right now even though you have some major ones coming your way anyway!

Anonymous said...

You are awesome!
No wonder you have been so busy lately! The site looks great, and you've helped some horsies! *warm and fuzzies*
I like their horse in sunglasses logo >:o)
That was a very kind thing to do, you rock!

aTxVegn said...

I'm so happy for you! You sound so excited about your volunteer work at this rescue center.

x said...

Good work on helping out some good ppl! I would love to have a shelter/sanctuary one day.

aredcardigan said...

My heart is warm n fuzzy after reading this...

You rock!

Horses too!

Check this photo out from my photographer friend.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgb_nanairo-nianco/3098149822/

janelle said...

Ooh, yay! I LOVE horses. I used to have a few and my grandpa sold one of them to the "knackers" and I freaked out! I miss my horsies :(. I wish I could volunteer there with you. That's so great!

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! I'm so glad you got such a great opportunity to help horses! And teh people seem so nice AND they are vegetarians- YAY!

Felicity said...

Hmmm, horses... I seem to remember a certain person writing about a certain irrational fear of the majestic beasts. Don't you just love fate? :D
The website looks great, but the horse stories brought tears to my eyes. Heartening to know there are people who are committed to caring for these abandoned and abused animals.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

You rock Jeni!! Horses are such amazing creatures and they deserve to be treated as such. YAY for kindness and compassion!!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Awesome!! The site looks great as well, really impressed.

I feel the same, like I could do more. I keep seeing a sign for volunteers to help with the blue cross for animals and then I convince myself I don't have time! Then I feel guilty for making excuses! sigh. Maybe I'll make it a new year's resolution to do something more - thanks for the inspiration!! :)

DJ said...

Good for you - I firmly believe that after a vegan diet, any other activism you do has to be a fit with your personality, so nice job on the website!

jessy said...

wahooooooooo! you rock, Jeni! i love the site - and how awesome of you to help them! i can't tell you how amazing & wonderful that is! wow! you are just too awesome!

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting Jeni! I bookmarked the site as I'm teaching English to a little girl who rides and is moving to India and I know nothing about horses or horse vocab! This will help.
Rock on sistah for being useful for the cause. Every little thing (and big thing) we can do is so important!

A.M. said...

That's so nice of you, to volunteer there!

Steffi said...

nice to hear you've found some activism that suits you!

Bethany said...

very cool that you made a site and you met some awesome people. Woohoohoo for you for being awesome!

I wanted to let you know that volunteering at a non no kill shelter isn't a bad thing if there aren't any no kill shelters around.

non no kill shelters are typically out to do the right thing. They typically don't have a timeline on the animals. Space is the thing that they run into.

Helping out could mean that you change their minds about the no kill part.

You could also sway them into having a fostering program so that sick cats / dogs would have a better chance of getting well. I used to do cat fostering at such a shelter.

Jenn said...

Wow! What a wonderful volunteer opportunity. Best of luck with the website!

Jackdaw Jayne Studios said...

That's brilliant news!!! LOL a prattle of Parrots... that seems quite apt given the antics of my two prats I mean Parrots :D

Tracy said...

That is such a fantastic way to help out critters! The site looks wonderful, thanks for helping out! I think horses are often overlooked as far as animals that really need help and special care, too, at least here in the US. Great job!!

Happy holidays to you as well!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

I gave you an award. oh and HAPPY CHRISTMAS!!

X

http://alienontoast.blogspot.com/2008/12/why-cant-we-be-friends-why-cant-we-be.html

disabled account said...

"As well as the horses though, they also have a gaggle of geese, a brood of chickens, a flock of ducks, a prattle of parrots, 3 dogs and a cat."

~ and a partridge in a pear tree! hahaha!

you're a rock star jeni!

Lindsay I-F said...

NEW POSTS STARTING IN 2009 on my new and improved blog:
http://cookingforaveganlover.wordpress.com/
until then please visit:
http://cookingforaveganlover.blogspot.com