17/10/2008

Vegan MoFo Day 17: Mock-a-Leekie Soup

Mock-a-Leekie Soup Do you like what I did there! OK - more soup - HURRAH!
But first a funny story....... I served this soup up for dinner last night. When asked what flavour it was by Mr treehugger, I told him it was originally based on a recipe called Cock-a-Leekie. "Coq - spelt with a q - it's French then." To which I replied "No it's Scottish - it's spelt C.O.C.K ...." He asked me what it was made out of and I replied - without even thinking about it "Cock." There was so much snarfing going on that soup was snarfed across the table. Finbarr Saunders would have been proud. The recipe I used called for the carcass of a chicken. BLEURGH! I don't think so! Ain't no dead chickses going in my dinner thank you very much. So yeah....this is a traditional Scottish recipe veganised by yours truly. Enjoy! Mock-a-Leekie Soup seves 2 Ingredients 2 Tblsp Olive Oil 2 Large Potatoes, peeled and cut into cubes -ish 2 Leeks, sliced and washed 1 small Onion, sliced 2 Pints Vegetable Stock Salt White Pepper handful of chopped fresh Parsley Method In a big pan lighly fry the vegetables in the Olive Oil for about 5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Add the Stock, cover and simmer for 40 mins, until the Vegetables are cooked. Leave to cool. When cooled whizz it all up with your blender, return to the stove and heat through. Add Salt and Pepper to taste and stir in the chopped Parsley. Serve. Today's song is by Noah and the Whale - In Five Years Time. It is impossible to listen to this song and feel anything but warm and fuzzy!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Years back during my late-night shenanigans with my friends, we used to hungrily walk to the corner all-night grocery for munchies. Every time we were there we'd go down the soup aisle and laugh at a packet of soup with a rooster on it. All it said was "Cock Soup". *snicker snicker*

Anonymous said...

Yummy:] The soup looks great! And err... interesting name * cough* They should try renaming that soup someday, lol

DJ said...

Mmmm - mock-a-Leekie.... your appetite for puns is INSATIABLE, too!!

jessy said...

aaaaaaaaaaaahaahaa! hooray for a funny story! snarfing soup is hilarious! i can picture it now! ahahahahahahaa!

your soup sounds delightful - and i super love the name, too! it's the best ever!

Elin said...

Bahahaha! Cock Soup would be a great band name, I reckon. It looks super yummy, and how interesting, Scottish cuisine - never even really considered such a thing existed outside of... eurgh, haggis.

Agnesss =) said...

HEYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!

That soup-y looks "mmm" .... DELICIOUS!! Great creation!!

Thanks for inspiring!! :))

Well..I'd be so happy to see a comment from you on my new post..!! Pls visit me !!

www.agnesworldofveganpleasures.blogspot.com

And let me know how it'll be with the grocery exchange :))

Hope for your visit!!

HAve a great weekend!!

Anonymous said...

I love your story! So funny. One of my favorite resturants was called "cock asian", seriously, and we would get all 12-years old about the name. That soup sounds great!

miss v said...

it looks like creamy potato soup. i like it - cock or coq!

For the Love of Guava said...

ahh.. I seriously have a soup list that's like 20 soups long!!! delicious looking as always and deliciously humorous as well! :)

Anonymous said...

Hahah! What a crazy name! Glad you left out the secret ingredient!

The soup looks so yummy!

Bethany said...

I love the title of that soup. soup looks very good.

When I think of that word, I think of this quote from The cook, the theif, his wife and her lover. parts of this move are super violent, but it's a good one.

"Try the cock, Albert. It's a delicacy. and you know where it's been."

sophia said...

hey! thanks for the comment! you should definitely try cornbread sometime. i'm crazy about it, especially with soup or chili. i always use the corn muffin recipe in "how it all vegan" if you have that.

also, i have a fond memory of ordering a drink called a "dream cocktail" and getting a receipt that said "cock dream: $5." ha.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I love your Mock-a-Leekie Soup! Hehe, you're naughty! :)

disabled account said...

you're seriously the funniest girl i know. i like the way you say veganise instead of veganize. i guess i should get used to that if the queen is going to take over again. hahaha!

that soup looks and sounds a lot like the potato leek corn chowder i made once...just add fresh corn and some herbs.

Sheree' said...

Soups are looking so good. I am so ready for cooler weather.

Lisa -- Cravin' Veggies said...

definitely soup weather here!!

Kelly said...

Mmmm that soup looks so creamy and of course, the funny story makes it even better.